EHAM problems

I recently purchased EHAM for X-Plane and I am really disappointed at the state of a scenery package that is sold for 25€ in 2021. My first problem was that the airport was loading with an error and with a very small number of ramp starts. I managed to solve these 2 issues based on solutions posted in this forum. However, this led me to the next problem, the apt.dat that adds the ramp starts includes static traffic (!?!?!?) which is so absurd. There are ramp starts in places of static aircraft which completely ruins the immersion. Whoever worked on this, if he added the ramp starts what thought process led him to keep the aircraft?

I have some limited knowledge in WED and in the past I have removed static traffic from custom sceneries but honestly when I opened EHAM on WED all I could see was the sloppy job that Aerosoft has done with this airport. It is impossible to export the airport from WED due to the myriad of issues with taxi routes (see validation log attached). I've tried in all WED versions from 1.2 onwards and these validation mistakes keep repeating. I have edited freeware scenery which was more organized than this mess. I know it is an old release, but let's be realistic. You demand from flight simmers 25€ and you still sell this in 2021, why you don't support it properly then? And if you don't, at least make sure it's not a mess filled with errors.

Is there someone who can still work in this airport from Aerosoft? Can you provide a proper apt.dat file with ramp starts and no static? Why should I have to go through all this for a payware add-on?

validation_report.txt

Alright, 3 hours of experiments with XP Custom Scenery, at last I found the solution. You have to download the apt.dat file with the enabled ramp starts and then go into Custom Scenery --> Aerosoft-EHAM --> Earth Nav Data and replace the apt.dat file. Then you have to go back to Aerosoft-EHAM root folder, find the NO-TRAFFIC zip archive and extract the DSF file located inside the coordinates folder. Then you have to take this DSF file and go again into Custom Scenery --> Aerosoft-EHAM --> Earth Nav Data and inside the coordinates folder replace the DSF file with the one you extracted from the NO-TRAFFIC zip. And there you go, finally you have Aerosoft EHAM without static and with ramp starts enabled.

Now, did they include this instructions in the manual? Nope. Did they include the correct apt.dat file for the NO-TRAFFIC DSF file? Nope. In fact if you extract the NO-TRAFFIC zip very few ramp starts are open same like the default Earth Nav Data. The more you dive into it, the more sloppy it gets. Really sad, I am planning on purchasing more scenery for XP11 but this whole experience with EHAM has left a bitter taste for your products.

• Administrator

Hello,

Amsterdam EHAM is an airport that was developed for X-Plane 10 and later got a small update for XP11 when X-Plane 11 came out. But even X-Plane 11 has changed a lot in the meantime.
That's the reason for the small peculiarities of this airport at the moment. Also that the user still has to do some small adjustments himself. That's why we wrote an apt.dat for all gates, which of course always has to replace the standard apt.dat.
Also the changes that are necessary to disable e.g. the fixed static planes are described in the manual. Page 14 (How to modify the appearance of the airport). 
If you do these modifications, then of course you have to replace the standard apt.dat there with the new apt.dat for all gates again..

The whole thing needs to be done only once. Then the airport will work fine under X-Plane 11. It is (you are right) a bit more work than with the newer airports, but as I said, the airport is already older....

But now we hope, you have fun with this Airport and X-Plane 11....

Greets Heinz

Hello Heinz and thanks for your reply,

I do have fun in this airport that's why I bought it and that's why I put the effort to make it work as I wanted it to. As I wrote in my initial post, I understand that this airport is and old release but there are some things that could make life easier at least for people like me who made the purchase recently. For example, as you correctly said, in page 14 of the manual it says to extract one of the zip archives included in the root folder, so in the NO-TRAFFIC zip you could include the updated apt.dat file with all ramp starts open. Currently if someone follows the manual will still have to replace the apt.dat file. 

These are small quality of life touches that would improve a bit the experience of installing an airport that is selling at the same price range like the newer ones. 

Thank you again and have a nice day!

• 3 months later...

Why are these fixes not included in the current download, same bugs, same hunting around the internet trying to resolve the problem!

I too am very disappointed with the airport.  When you see the price, it's normal to think the standard would be better.  An airport for XP10 shouldn't cost this much!

Taxi way S from the south cargo ramp to RW24 is missing.  Not sure if this is a bug, or if this taxi way was added in real life but hasn't been added in the game.

Anyway, off to hunt for the apt.dat file mentioned above.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I am glad I read this. I was ready to buy it, I already had it in the basket (I searched in Google for EHAM), then I saw this forum. 

Of course I don't gonna buy it now. There are a few EHAM airports for free in x-plane.org. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/1/2023 at 12:07 AM, Martin Sofka said:

Of course I don't gonna buy it now. There are a few EHAM airports for free in x-plane.org. 

Glad that you managed to avoid losing money and time on this one. Since 2021 the state of EHAM sceneries in X-Plane has improved. There are some decent freeware and an awesome payware from FlyTampa. Meanwhile, Aerosoft still sells this junk for 25€...