Flap retraction and extension speeds and TOGA to Climb?

FrankGehry

What are the speeds at which you should retract the flaps after take off and then before landing?

I'm also curious when is the right moment to pull the throttle from TOGA to climb after take off.

Thank you.

• FrankGehry changed the title to Flap retraction and extension speeds and TOGA to Climb?

For the approach flaps schedule, check out page 3-1-67 in Vol. 3.

vor 6 Stunden , Herman sagte:

Everything you asked about is on page 3-1-57 in Volume 3 of the included manuals. BTW, that's the tutorial, and if you haven't flown it, you really should. That and view all of The Dude's videos at this link.

CRJ TO Profile.pdf 423 kB · 5 downloads

I noticed that the take-off flap schedule given in Vol. 3 differs from the one given in Vol. 1 on page 1-1-38. The former is basically the reversed version of the approach flap schedule (set 8° at 180kt, set 0° at 200kt). The latter rather corresponds to what you do in Boeing planes, where you retract the flaps at the speed corresponding to the current flaps setting (set 1° at 160kt, set 0° at 180kt). Does someone know which one is correct? Or are there situations, where one would use the one or the other?

• Deputy Sheriffs
6 hours ago, SinusJayCee said:

I noticed that the take-off flap schedule given in Vol. 3 differs from the one given in Vol. 1 on page 1-1-38. The former is basically the reversed version of the approach flap schedule (set 8° at 180kt, set 0° at 200kt). The latter rather corresponds to what you do in Boeing planes, where you retract the flaps at the speed corresponding to the current flaps setting (set 1° at 160kt, set 0° at 180kt). Does someone know which one is correct? Or are there situations, where one would use the one or the other?

Good catch. I've long gravitated to visual depictions for profiles as I used to write them for general aviation air taxi training manuals. So I usually pay close attention to the profiles, but find it easier to use what I'll call the Boeing method since I use several aircraft depending on what kind of flying I want to do in a given session. As a long time user of the PMDG 737s, picking up the flaps as you accelerate through the green flap setting numbers is just so simple.

vor 19 Minuten, Herman sagte:

As a long time user of the PMDG 737s, picking up the flaps as you accelerate through the green flap setting numbers is just so simple.

Yes indeed :D It's the same for Airbus btw. However, I'm coming from XP11 and spent a lot of hours on the 757/767. If you select the early configuration without speed tape, you need to have the schedule in mind. So I usually add the flap schedules to my own check-lists. But in contrast to the CRJ, you have at least those white markers at the analog ASI in the 757/767. For the MD80, which I've flown a lot in XP11 as well, I was using speed cards. Here you also retract the flaps at the speed corresponding to the current flap setting (given that the plane is accelerating).

At my company the minimum speeds for flap retraction are dependent on aircraft performance (weight, flap setting).

Flaps 8° Take-off or Go-around

"Flaps 1" => check V2 (Flaps 8°) + 12 KIAS and increasing

"Flaps 0" => check VFTO - 15 KIAS and increasing

Flaps 20° Take-off

"Flaps 8" => check V2 (Flaps 20°) + 12 KIAS and increasing

"Flaps 1" => check V2 (Flaps 20°) + 20 KIAS and increasing

Important rule: No flap retraction in a turn with speed below VFTO to ensure overbank protection. Either retraction must be delayed or Half Bank mode is mandatory.

vor 11 Stunden , KuntaKinte sagte:

At my company the minimum speeds for flap retraction are dependent on aircraft performance (weight, flap setting).

Flaps 8° Take-off or Go-around

"Flaps 1" => check V2 (Flaps 8°) + 12 KIAS and increasing

Flaps 20° Take-off

"Flaps 8" => check V2 (Flaps 20°) + 12 KIAS and increasing

"Flaps 1" => check V2 (Flaps 20°) + 20 KIAS and increasing

Important rule: No flap retraction in a turn with speed below VFTO to ensure overbank protection. Either retraction must be delayed or Half Bank mode is mandatory.

Thanks for information! That is how I would expect it to be done IRL.

I just noticed that the speed cards in Vol. 2 of the manual (Quick Reference Guide) on pages 2-1-38ff actually contain the flap retraction schedule. Those numbers correspond exactly to those of @KuntaKinte.

7 hours ago, SinusJayCee said:

Thanks for information! That is how I would expect it to be done IRL.

I just noticed that the speed cards in Vol. 2 of the manual (Quick Reference Guide) on pages 2-1-38ff actually contain the flap retraction schedule. Those numbers correspond exactly to those of @KuntaKinte.

Can you please show me where I can find the manual.

• Deputy Sheriffs

The installer usually adds links to each volume in your Start Menu. So, I suggest you go through every folder there and look for them.  If you have it installed through Aerosoft One, look in the Library as shown here:

Please login to display this image.

In any event, you should be able to find them in the Documentation folder inside the Data folder inside your CRJ folder. However, if you bought it through the Marketplace, I'm not sure where they are.

Archived