Antartica Vol.1

Phil671

Hello everyone.

After being flying during a while on the way back to Rothera, after landing  some objects on the scene are up in the air....

Any idea?

In advance thanks for the support.

Please login to display this image.

Yes, have seen that elsewhere in other sceneries as well, particularly when there's new elevation data involved. Usually the effect is gone after a while.

For me it rarely took more than 30 secs so I have never had the chance to play around with settings that fixed it.

As an idea if it isn't gone after a while for you: Play around with the scenery settings. For example by setting the buildings to very low and then back to your higher previous setting again to force a reload of the objects on proper elevation.

Bests,

Sascha

11 hours ago, Phil671 said:

Absolutely, except that i was flying with the PC-6 from Milviz...

Ok, just to verify:

What does this screen look like on your side?

Just need to know your exact settings so I can check and see if something about hovering objects is different then. If that's the case I guess we'll have to make a report to MS/Asobo on a buggy treatment of object elevations with streamed content switched off. But first I'd like to verify that.

Bests,

Sascha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil671 said:

Hi @Sasa

Here it is

Thanks!

Ok but that means that your data streaming is switched on as for the majority of all other users. So what you're seeing is not related to that.

Have you been able to play around a bit with the Graphics->Buildings slider to force a reload or the 3D models? And how long do they last hovering up in the air before MSFS successfully recalculates their correct position?

Just in case you have the time to fly again and trying to replicate it of course (though it may very well be possible you won't be able to replicate again as with so many other small bugs that show up now and then in MSFS).

Bests,

Sascha

• Like 1

Hi Sasa.

what i´ve notice since (so maybe is my PC specs) is , if i point the camera somewhere else and i go back to the initial view , building , object are back in place and "vice versa".

But yes, i will try that and i´ll let you know.

One more time thank you for your time and the support.

14 hours ago, Phil671 said:

if i point the camera somewhere else

Ahhh... yes! That's very likely related to the offscreen terrain pre-caching that has been introduced in one of the recent updates.

If you have that set to a low level, MSFS will only maintains a simple terrain outside your view, which was supposed to be for performance improvements needed for XBox I believe.

MSFS will then need to recalculate the terrain level when you turn, which may cause objects to remain at the elevation level of the simplified "offscreen terrain" until the recalculation is done. The objects you have shown are right next to a steep ridge, so of course they are likely candidates to be affected by this.

Bests,

Sascha

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

... its also the Rothera Emergency Strip - flying fuel drums galore:

sometimes you crash on the ice thru the "AS roof" to the "Asobo floor". Looking in awe at the mirages of distant mountains - but then collision algos let you go up in flames.

Never happened on the other two E.S.

Rothera E.S. must be haunted, remember problems with your FSX package...

tally-ho Operation Highjump!

MJ

Data Connection all ON, unlimited Data Consumtion, Data Limitation OFF, fast DSL.  Graphic settings in the  HIGH range (RTX 2070).

Anything else?

With the DC-6 I had to practise  - so several tries in rapid succession: the big fall didn't happen all the time, settings remained unchanged in between, obviously. 

T&R - and more of Antarctica please!

MJ

That's because the Emergency strip is located on a 3D model (which has been necessary because that's the only way to have the nice snow drift effects and the glacier cliffs).

It's been designated as a hard surface but you can still push the sim camera below the 3D terrain if you try it.

We did however never experience any problems with aircraft sinking in there. My guess is it happens with a particular aircraft only and there's possibly something wrong with the contact point configuration.

Have you tried with a default aircraft so we can try to replicate this issue here? And: What's the aircraft model on the screenshots?

... no worries about the cam issue, the 3D programming problem is obvious.

On to landings: so tried with your Twotter on which you have full insight :

same thing, see pic. Not all the time and it may be, that getting off-piste for a turn or teleporting back for a quick re-start from the ES is involved. The abyss might to the left/right of your piste-object.

:

What suports this: seconds after the screenshot, your ski-doo triple was zipping by close, anti-parallel  - ON THE SNOW LEVEL  of the Twotter and not in the skies! Looks like these fellas missed their contact point as well...

The plane in my first post is the PDMG DC-6.

On a sideline:

in FSX I had a problem with your Twotter on R.E.S. - it was all about shaking the gear off  by a too rough surface. Got an answer from Mathjis but forgot all about it and can't find the post here, my keyword was "hyper-realism or "...

thx MJ

I regret to inform you that nothing has changed with the Antartica update (BTW: where can I find info on the changes?):

the Twotter is sitting right on the runway, sim is in pause, the only differnce between the pics is teleport on/off (but no move!). 

hope this helps 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sacha; there is definitly something fishy with the scenari ( regukar CTD on my side )

1. first time I load the scenary I have the same bug as illustrated

2. if I reload it sort of load, but some items ( crates and tractors ) are sinking through and under the runway just after the scenari load ( I can see them underwater under the runway mesh if I sink my plane )

3. I can fly, see the nice scenary and boat etc, but eventually I get a CTD as it tries to load something ( probably one of those sunk objetcs )

too bad I really love the scenary and did some freeware in the past that I remember you liked, but as of today I cannot use it on my setup which is stable with tons of addons

• Aerosoft
On 3/12/2022 at 12:18 PM, Etienne Varloot said:

Hi Sacha; there is definitly something fishy with the scenari ( regukar CTD on my side )

1. first time I load the scenary I have the same bug as illustrated

2. if I reload it sort of load, but some items ( crates and tractors ) are sinking through and under the runway just after the scenari load ( I can see them underwater under the runway mesh if I sink my plane )

3. I can fly, see the nice scenary and boat etc, but eventually I get a CTD as it tries to load something ( probably one of those sunk objetcs )

too bad I really love the scenary and did some freeware in the past that I remember you liked, but as of today I cannot use it on my setup which is stable with tons of addons

On what platform?

Hi Mathias, thanks for asking,

Bought the product through the market place, steam version of msfs2020 on windows 11/pc. The simulator works fine.  (as well as the twin otter which is great). I am and old customer of your products and still a fan. I really liked Antarctica and did around 10 mini addons for it at that time, Sacha liked them and linked them on his site. Really hope you will find a solution. 

This is really like the mesh is having holes in it, is there a certain level of quality/precision setting that could be mandatory? 

on my side the only thing I can think of is that I only have 16G of ram, but all the other addons are faring well ( orbx, France vfr, and so on ) so I don’t think that can be it.

really hope this can be fixed as for what I can enjoy of the scenery it is wonderful and begs for more bases around to be added.

• 2 weeks later...

@Etienne Varloot, your CTD problems are not really related to the initial problem reported in this thread and so far you seem to be the only one affected by it. I also tried to reproduce it but couldn't. I have an idea and will send you an email about it.

@Martin J.

I tried several attempts to replicate your problem:

• Using the same Twin Otter
  • Landing on the Emergency Skiway and taxiing it all the way up and down in outside view.
  • Then doing the same in cockpit view, also trying to taxi along the other side of the barrels.
  • All this in a freshly installed MSFS with default settings to rule out there's something involved that would prevent this from happening.
  • Also tried to open and close the Teleport window several times.

I wasn't able to replicate it - the aircraft was always standing firmly on the surface.

Salu Sasha,

still possible for me with SU8: Twotter standing still, the two pics differ only with "slew" on/off. By careful inspection (upper left) you see an altitude  jump:  849 vs 5ft !

Never mind, its more for debugging your strip code than annoying for customers - until the Milviz LC-130 comes out...

T&R, 

MJ