Procedure to acquire ILS

Simple question - when I have the AP in NAV following FMS1 and get in range of ILS - do I need to manually switch the source to LOC1 or does it auto switch and acquire if I hit APP mode once I'm on a sane intercept? I thought it did acquire once but didn't hold it, but that could have been me getting slow and low...

It works fine when I manually switch to LOC1 and I get the green needles but just wondered as it seems to be very similar to the CJ4 Collins FMC which does auto switch and acquire.

1 hour ago, Bill Zarkov said:

do I need to manually switch the source to LOC1 or does it auto switch and acquire if I hit APP mode once I'm on a sane intercept?

When you entered a localizer based approach into the active flightplan, you can stay on FMS as NAV source. With APPR mode armed the FMS 4200 performs a NAV-to-NAV transfer to "green needles" when intercepting the localizer.

There are further prerequisites as well as some limitations for this operation which are not correctly implemented in the AS CRJ. Please have a read here.

Thanks Matthias - I will repeat the flight and check.

Supplemental - If I enter an RNAV approach but decide to fly the ILS would it arm APP correctly? Based on the material referenced I *assume* that the ILS would auto-tune in the background to Nav1 but would not autoswitch for APP. I suppose then I can manually change source and acquire LOC and GS. If not I will set tuning to manual and pre-select ILS.

Why would I? The RNAV arrival is more logical for EGNT and setting approach as ILS in the plan results in a strange intercept so I like to say RNAV arrival and approach for the plan to give me nice vectors and then pick up ILS for the approach... I do not use Vatsim or MS ATC (yet) 🙂 This works fine in WT CJ4 and FBW A32nx.

Archived