From ARMED to ...., FMS1

Dear Captains,

i am wondering if this possible issue has been reported or noted already. A search in this forum at least, strangely, had no results....

Situation:  Lined up, ready to depart.  TOGA pressed (TO/TO),  now arming NAV Mode,  FMS1 (white, armed) is indicated. Well after TO, above 1000ft AGL, Autopilot engaged: FMS1 (white,armed) will NOT engage.

Prerequisites: Lined up with Track, SID or at least on intercepting heading, Next active waypoint ahead.

Now: pressing NAV mode again (FMS1 disappears) and press again, will immediatly switch FMS1 to "green" and flies SID as expected.

Bug or am i missing something ?

Oliver

EDIT: I forgot: I watched a video on YT with a RW CRJ pilot who experienced the same issue and was expecting it to work. (in rw CRJ it does)

HE /me are having the same issue with SPEED mode armed and engaging after TO

Not sure, but at least in my company it is not SOP to arm nav mode on the ground. For us it is only after positive rate and gear up call that we start setting speed mode and nav mode on the FCP.

vor 4 Stunden , CRJay sagte:

Not sure, but at least in my company it is not SOP to arm nav mode on the ground. For us it is only after positive rate and gear up call that we start setting speed mode and nav mode on the FCP.

Of course, for the SOP 

In my case, it was just a trial and the aircraft allowed it 😉

Last departure, i had it in TO/TO  and armed NAV (FMS1) in the air. This time it went GREEN immediatly when AP was engaged.
It just doesn't do it when armed on the ground, BUT is indicating the same !
The manual (SMARTCOCKPIT CRJ) is not realy clear about it ...

Oliver

On 9/15/2021 at 10:39 AM, JetNoise said:

Of course, for the SOP 

In my case, it was just a trial and the aircraft allowed it 😉

Last departure, i had it in TO/TO  and armed NAV (FMS1) in the air. This time it went GREEN immediatly when AP was engaged.
It just doesn't do it when armed on the ground, BUT is indicating the same !
The manual (SMARTCOCKPIT CRJ) is not realy clear about it ...

Oliver

Maybe if  you switched to HDG mode and set an intercept for the FMS Leg it would have then have gone "Green"  for you?  There is a probability that the FMS won't "break" out of TO or TOGA modes "automatically"...  that is another question to ask your above CRJ pilots --- will TO or TOGA level off at an ALTS or does it still require selecting one of the Altitude FCP modes?

1 hour ago, LesOReilly said:

will TO or TOGA level off at an ALTS or does it still require selecting one of the Altitude FCP modes?

Yes for TO

TO is active lateral mode: wings level (on ground) - HDG hold, 5° bank limit (airborne)

TO is active vertical mode: optimized pitch-up command (depending on flapsetting and spread VR/V2)

ALTS is armed mode

No for GA

GA is active lateral mode: HDG hold, 5° bank limit

GA is active vertical mode: 10° nose up

no armed mode

vor 15 Stunden , LesOReilly sagte:

Maybe if  you switched to HDG mode and set an intercept for the FMS Leg it would have then have gone "Green"  for you?  There is a probability that the FMS won't "break" out of TO or TOGA modes "automatically"...  that is another question to ask your above CRJ pilots --- will TO or TOGA level off at an ALTS or does it still require selecting one of the Altitude FCP modes?

Intercepting heading, yes oc, but in my case i was on track already. SID was a straight out departure with a easy turn about 9 miles out. And as i said, switching NAV mode after takeoff (w/o autopilot on) worked.
Only Arming NAV on the ground didn't do what i was expecting it to do, except showing it "Armed" (white).

I was only trying to fly the SID manually and get the appropriate FD directions and hit the AP at a later stage....

All good !  I hope the AS team will have time to check. (On the ground, arming NAV before TO)

Oliver

Archived