Bug Reporting Fatigue

amahran

I don’t know if anyone else is experiencing this, but at the initial release of the CRJ I was enthusiastic about reporting bugs and issues, and as time went on I felt some kind of reporting “fatigue”. To describe it adequately: 

- I’m not sure if my reports are contributing to any effort

- I’m not sure if a bug I experience has already been mentioned

- I’m not sure if devs are aware of the bugs and issues I’m observing (at least I’d hope I’m not the only one seeing them).

- I’m not even sure if the bugs I’m reporting are going on a back burner or if they’re scheduled to be addressed after another bug, or if they’re to be addressed in a coming update, or what

- I’m not even sure that the devs who see my bug reports are acknowledging them as items to be addressed or if they’re being accepted as “it is what it is”. 

I realize the devs have a lot on their mind, and are dealing with an ever-changing SDK, so I can’t blame them for not communicating every individual detail. However, I feel like I lost some enthusiasm in bug reporting; it’s exhausting and feels like my bug reports are going into a black hole. And I’m honestly burnt out. Does anyone else feel this in any way, either with the CRJ or with MSFS in general?

Aerosoft, do you guys still want us bug reporting at this point for persistent bugs, or is everything already “known” by now? I love to help but at some point it feels like I’m being a nuisance…

Vor 1 Stunde, amahran sagte:

I don’t know if anyone else is experiencing this, but at the initial release of the CRJ I was enthusiastic about reporting bugs and issues, and as time went on I felt some kind of reporting “fatigue”. To describe it adequately: 

- I’m not sure if devs are aware of the bugs and issues I’m observing (at least I’d hope I’m not the only one seeing them).

- I’m not even sure if the bugs I’m reporting are going on a back burner or if they’re scheduled to be addressed after another bug, or if they’re to be addressed in a coming update, or what

- I’m not even sure that the devs who see my bug reports are acknowledging them as items to be addressed or if they’re being accepted as “it is what it is”. 

I realize the devs have a lot on their mind, and are dealing with an ever-changing SDK, so I can’t blame them for not communicating every individual detail. However, I feel like I lost some enthusiasm in bug reporting; it’s exhausting and feels like my bug reports are going into a black hole. And I’m honestly burnt out. Does anyone else feel this in any way, either with the CRJ or with MSFS in general?

Aerosoft, do you guys still want us bug reporting at this point for persistent bugs, or is everything already “known” by now? I love to help but at some point it feels like I’m being a nuisance…

Same here, !!

I suggested a Known Bugs thread in the beginning, but that was denied.

It could have solved MOST of your (our) points.

I don't even know, if a issue i reported is even a bug.

But maybe this is intended, who knows.  

I am realy enjoying this aircraft (my sim-career started with the CRJ200 from JRollon).  I am not sorry for the money I spent either.
If only some more issues could be solved/corrected/etc. SOON 😉

Oliver

4 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I agree, that is why we are changing some procedures this week.

Looking forward to it! Anything helps that makes me remember I’m not just screaming into a void!

16 hours ago, amahran said:

A few caveats.

1. Please SEARCH about the "bug" that is about to be reported to make sure it is

(a) really a bug and not something that is being done wrong (this happens FAR too often)

(b) see if the bug has been reported and if there is a solution already in place.

2. Even if you are not the only ONE you may be the only FEW and that might mean that there is a common system/user issue and not a bug.

3. Anyone's bug can be put on the "back burner" for any number of reasons such as there are more important bugs to fix.  One good example would be "BUG REPORT-when I open the door half way instead of all the way and it is 23 minutes before sunrise or 17 minutes after sunset, there are two pixel artifacts that should have been caught by the developers.  FIX THIS NOW".  This is probably an at best "back burner" issue.  

4. Remember, the folks at AS and the developers get and like everyone deserve time off.  Don't expect or worse demand attention on Sunday.  Watch football or go outside and play and wait for Monday.

I have flown in excess of 150 hours in this version of the CRJ.  I have had ZERO issues that I have not been able to fix myself (except for the ASOBO induced update crap).  Not that I don't have issues, I just care less about them than I do flying and having fun.  

Also, if something is posted that is deserving of a facetious or sarcastic comment, don't be surprised when you get one.

1 hour ago, Crabby said:

A few caveats.

1. Please SEARCH about the "bug" that is about to be reported to make sure it is

(a) really a bug and not something that is being done wrong (this happens FAR too often)

(b) see if the bug has been reported and if there is a solution already in place.

2. Even if you are not the only ONE you may be the only FEW and that might mean that there is a common system/user issue and not a bug.

3. Anyone's bug can be put on the "back burner" for any number of reasons such as there are more important bugs to fix.  One good example would be "BUG REPORT-when I open the door half way instead of all the way and it is 23 minutes before sunrise or 17 minutes after sunset, there are two pixel artifacts that should have been caught by the developers.  FIX THIS NOW".  This is probably an at best "back burner" issue.  

4. Remember, the folks at AS and the developers get and like everyone deserve time off.  Don't expect or worse demand attention on Sunday.  Watch football or go outside and play and wait for Monday.

I have flown in excess of 150 hours in this version of the CRJ.  I have had ZERO issues that I have not been able to fix myself (except for the ASOBO induced update crap).  Not that I don't have issues, I just care less about them than I do flying and having fun.  

Also, if something is posted that is deserving of a facetious or sarcastic comment, don't be surprised when you get one.

Don't know why you got downvoted, but that's an excellent observation.

There are indeed lots of bug reports and issue reports for the CRJ. Some are wildly outdated, some are recent developments, all are in the forums. So when I encounter a new bug, I ask myself the following questions:

1. What exactly is this bug I'm experiencing? Is it truly a bug or a system failure, or am I using the product in a unintentional manner?
  2. What exactly is causing this bug? Bug reports are great, but if there's no reproducability, it's useless to the developer.
  3. What are some key words that could be used to search for this bug in the forums?

The last one is particularly important. Some obvious keywords can be "TCAS" which every simmer knows, or "Seatbelt Sign". Those are easy enough to look up and see if you can find a relevant forum topic title. However, some aren't so clear: The Audio Control Panel (Left seat, Right seat, and Observer) initializes with all the knobs in the on position except the Com1 knob, which is selected by the mic knob. Naturally, this screams to me that the boolean for the volume knobs in the ACP is reversed in the aircraft initialization. So now the question: What do I SEARCH for? Do I believe simmers will know the correct term for this panel?

• ACP? (too short to search)
  • Audio Control Panel?
  • Volume Knobs?
  • Com2?
  • Radio? (This one pulls up too many results)

Once I ascertain that no one has already posted that topic, I then go through the effort of documenting the conditions that causes it: have I tried recycling the default state? Have I tried different default states? Have I tried quickloading states? Have I tried loading on a runway? In the air? At the gate? Then of course there's the issue of tangentially related posts: maybe they're related enough that the developer notices the issue, but maybe they haven't noticed: I found that if I move my joystick fully forward, all the screens in the CRJ hang entirely. I found a forum post which was about screen freezes, but the joystick wasn't mentioned. Should I post in that topic or make a new one?

And then after all that, I have to document all my observations: what the issue is, what's supposed to happen, what happens instead, what's causing it, what I recommend as a potential fix (if possible), all with pictures.

This is time consuming, and it can be disheartening to hear silence afterwards and see it not go anywhere. Eventually, it has gotten to the point where I see a bug nowadays and go "eh....screw it I'm just gonna fly, they probably know about it". So hopefully Mathijs' proposed solution this week can help resolve that and bring the enthusiasm back!

14 hours ago, amahran said:

Don't know why you got downvoted, but that's an excellent observation.

Well, the best I can figure out is that giving people the ability to vote on any forum is the www equivalent of making a 2nd grader the hall monitor at the high school.  That coupled with people's clear inability to deal with facts.  I am no longer surprised.  

Archived