FLTPLN Speeds

dresoccer4

hey guys, I thought I followed a tutorial well but apparently missed something as the flight plan speeds as well as descending altitudes on a 3 degree glideslope are missing. 

Speeds:

Please login to display this image.

Incorrect descending altitudes:

I have the PERF and VNAV pages filled out. What else do you need to get speeds and descending waypoint altitudes on the correct glideslope?

14 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

hey guys, I thought I followed a tutorial well but apparently missed something as the flight plan speeds as well as descending altitudes on a 3 degree glideslope are missing. 

Speeds:

Incorrect descending altitudes:

I have the PERF and VNAV pages filled out. What else do you need to get speeds and descending waypoint altitudes on the correct glideslope?

You manually enter those ...  again they are advisory only since you have no Auto Throttle...  

I figured out the automatic stepped descent altitude. it seems you need an approach entered. even if you set the waypoints yourself it won't work. if you enter an approach then the altitudes will automatically step down on a 3 degree glideslope

• Deputy Sheriffs

As a standard piloting rule, the required rate of descent for a 3 degree glideslope is 1/2 the speed in knots, then times 10. So, at 100 knots, the rate of descent is 500 fpm. It's actually 512 fpm, but you can't really see, let alone fly that small difference. At 134 KIAS, a common Vref for the CRJ, you get 670 fpm. At 290 KIAS, the scheduled descent speed above 10,000 MSL, it's 1,450 fpm, and so forth. 

• Deputy Sheriffs
11 hours ago, Acegard said:

Forgive me as I'm kinda new to simming, don't you use the ground speed when calculating the 3 degree descent rate, instead of the IAS? 

Yes, and if it's easily available, as in the CRJ, that's what you'd use. In most aircraft, especially one without GPS, it's just easier to just go with IAS or better TAS (if you don't have to pull out a calculator and the airspeed indicator has a way to adjust for altitude and temp, which is common these days).

Archived