Nav Station ID or Morse Code?

amahran

When flying an instrument approach, I'm accustomed to doing the following check. That's just how I'm trained:

• T - Tune the frequency you want to navigate with respect to
  • I - Identify the frequency by means of listening to the "code" or checking on a nav display
  • T - Test the navigational capability of your equipment using this nav source
  • S - Set the course and navigation configuration you want to utilize.

With the CRJ, the testing isn't applicable because the system is capable of self testing, and tuning for ILS frequencies is done automatically (and conveniently). However, I do occasionally want to actually conduct the Identification; sometimes on approaches I find myself second guessing whether I'm picking up the correct signal, even though I know I have the correct frequency set.

I have two options:

1. Check the morse code by listening to the Nav audio. Unfortunately, these switch behaviors are wrong and non-functional:

Please login to display this image.

2. Check the nav ident on the PFD or Nav Display. This is my preferred method because it saves time and the CRJ should be capable of doing so. However, the Aerosoft CRJ doesn't show nav idents on the PFD or ND! In the screenshot below, I know I'm tuned to a VOR that's 22 miles away, but what's the nav ID? What VOR is this?

In contrast, here's a screenshot from a P3D/FSX user, who gets a nav ID display when they're in the NAV mode:

So my question to the devs and all CRJ pilots are there: How is the nav ID supposed to be displayed and confirmed to the pilot, through the PFD and ND, or is the pilot supposed to listen to the audio in the real plane?

• 5 months later...

Raising this again; we've had a few CRJ updates since this post, but this hasn't been addressed yet; there's no way to see what Nav you're tuned to, and no way to listen to the Nav transmission.

In the real CRJ it's acceptable to use the ID found in green next to the NAV info on the MFD. That is because the airplane listens to the morse code and displays the ID that way rather than just out of a database.

13 minutes ago, ductmonfault said:

... and displays the ID that way rather than just out of a database.

True, but presently only in the real aicraft and there only as long as there is no DME on hold.

Archived