SPEED ignoring set speed, blows past it, not pitching nose

I recently started having an issue (since 1.0.6.0) where setting SPEED would not work. At lower altitudes, the pitch would be around +2.5 and the CRJ would accelerate past the set speed, e.g. 250 KTS while following a SID. At higher altitudes, the nose will stay level and the CRJ will just ignore it completely.

I have not found a way to reproduce this. Happens on 33% of my flights. Also, if it doesn’t work on a particular flight, it won’t work until reloading the game.

I also had a situation yesterday, where I wanted to descend at 250 KTS and the AP ignored the speed, did not slow down from 290 KTS, and descended at 300+ KTS doing -8500 fpm. Maybe this is connected.

I had the same yesterday..was strange.

Had the set AP to Climb Speed 250 and it just accelerated to 300+.

Pitch was very high (above 3) and the plane went up like a rocket although loaded normally

Although it well displayed clb 250 and everything was set up correctly it just accelerated and climbed like hell

I had to drastically reduce thrust..

Was strange... never experienced this before.. (was only my 3rd flight with 1.0.6.0)

Marc

On 9/6/2021 at 8:52 AM, Moridin said:

I recently started having an issue (since 1.0.6.0) where setting SPEED would not work. At lower altitudes, the pitch would be around +2.5 and the CRJ would accelerate past the set speed, e.g. 250 KTS while following a SID. At higher altitudes, the nose will stay level and the CRJ will just ignore it completely.

I’m confused! Maybe I’m not grasping the problem correctly, but my understanding is that the CRJ doesn’t have an auto throttle. The only time the auto pilot will maintain a speed is during a climb to a set altitude and once that is attained, you need to manually decrease the throttle to maintain the speed ie: the autopilot won’t do that for you. Equally, manual throttle control is necessary to control airspeed during descent.  If I’m wrong, then I’m not flying the CRJ correctly at all 😂🤪

Forgive me if I’m not understanding correctly.

1 hour ago, Jujmental said:

I’m confused! Maybe I’m not grasping the problem correctly, but my understanding is that the CRJ doesn’t have an auto throttle. The only time the auto pilot will maintain a speed is during a climb to a set altitude and once that is attained, you need to manually decrease the throttle to maintain the speed ie: the autopilot won’t do that for you. Equally, manual throttle control is necessary to control airspeed during descent.  If I’m wrong, then I’m not flying the CRJ correctly at all 😂🤪

So when you press SPEED and e.g. set the thrust to CLB, the CRJ will maintain the set speed (e.g. 250 KTS) by pitching the nose up or down. This isn't an autothrottle but it works that way, because the CRJ will hold the speed until it stops climbing. SPEED can also be used for descent - same principle.

The problem is, SPEED doesn't always work as explained above.

5 hours ago, Moridin said:

SPEED can also be used for descent - same principle.

The problem is, SPEED doesn't always work as explained above.

Never knew that!  As a result I’ve become the ‘Master of the Throttle’ during descent 🤣 I’ll keep an eye out for the SPEED function failing though.  Hope your issue gets identified and fixed for you 👍🏻

Been having the issue every now and then yesterday and today, just happened with my current flight (in the air as I write this) the departure went well but the pitch to maintain speed didn't work at all sadly, so back to VS mode. Hope this issue can be resolved. As far as I'm aware, it's the only boo-boo on the CRJ. Still love the plane <3

13 hours ago, Tomcat_22 said:

As far as I'm aware, it's the only boo-boo on the CRJ.

There's one more biggie. When doing a Direct To, a phantom waypoint appears. I looked like a n00b in front of EKCH controllers today.

12 minutes ago, Moridin said:

There's one more biggie. When doing a Direct To, a phantom waypoint appears. I looked like a n00b in front of EKCH controllers today.

Yes, I've embarrassed myself with the same bug. It works better if you use the LEGS page instead and move your waypoint up to the second line, but that goes directly from your current position without any turn anticipation so I'm not sure that is completely correct either. Way better than the DIRECT functionality though.

5 minutes ago, Aplato said:

Yes, I've embarrassed myself with the same bug. It works better if you use the LEGS page instead and move your waypoint up to the second line, but that goes directly from your current position without any turn anticipation so I'm not sure that is completely correct either. Way better than the DIRECT functionality though.

Good tip! Will use that!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12.9.2021 at 01:26, Moridin sagte:

Sorry, I don't get that. What exactly happens on DIR-TO?

Regarding the SPEED issue, I had the problem lately as well. Unfortunately, I don't remember what I did exactly, but I somehow was able to get it working again after some time. I'll keep an eye on it during the next flight.

I've experienced the speed mode issue a few times lately as well. Re-engaging it, cycling through the modes, etc. did not help, but disengaging the autopilot, reactivating it, and then re-enabling speed mode fixed it. Definitely something that needs to be fixed.

6 hours ago, mschultzi said:

I had it as already mentioned but did not manage to reproduce it..very difficult for the developers to fix....

8/10 times it will fail when setting SPEED on initial climb from airport if you don't quickly dial in a speed higher than your current speed, as it continues to climb.

Alternatively, climb to e.g. 5000, manually slow down waiting for clearance to a higher altitude, then engage SPEED again to climb to e.g. FL120, and it will often blow past.

I am recently experiencing tons of times issues with the SPEED mode of the autopilot while climbing...

Devs have identified the cause of the issue? Recent world updates may be the cause? (latest hotifix)....

8/10 times it will fail when setting SPEED on initial climb from airport if you don't quickly dial in a speed higher than your current speed, as it continues to climb.

Alternatively, climb to e.g. 5000, manually slow down waiting for clearance to a higher altitude, then engage SPEED again to climb to e.g. FL120, and it will often blow past.

Yep same here...hard to create it with 100% reproduction rate.

My hunch is it's somewhere around the logic for the initial pitch up (sometimes very aggressive with high V/S but could be realistic?) and then the actual capture/eventual decrease in V/S @ Target ALT not happening the way the code expects. If anyone flies airbus...I liken it to "Faulty 'ALT*' logic".

I encountered that issue two times. I'm not sure it could be a reason but in those two cases I hadn't switched XLOW from manual to auto after take-off. To be sure I need to reproduce this sequence. It will provide more insight into reasons that behaviour. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 4:44 AM, Jonas S. said:

Hi,

I've forwarded this to our testing team and will get back to you, once I receive a reply.

Has there been any movement on this issue since you posted this almost 20 days ago? This should be one of the highest-priority bug fixes as I have been experiencing this quite frequently in recent weeks. This was not a problem (for me at least) prior to that so I wonder if it is a side effect of one of the last two sim updates. I keep having close calls flying the CRJ on VATSIM because of this issue as I quickly blow through 250 kts and then have to either climb using VS mode which is less than ideal or frantically disable and reactivate all of the autopilot switches, sometimes multiple times, in hope that it starts working properly.

• 4 months later...

Bumping this one up again as this issue has been the reason I've mostly avoided the CRJ for several months.

I'm curious, does the CRJ use custom logic for this or default Asobo code? I tried the WorkingTitle CJ4 recently and found I had the same exact issue with FLC on climb -- sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes it completely ignores it and blows way past the speed that I set. Like here, it hasn't been too widely discussed, but there are several mentions on their Discord and on the official Flight Simulator forums.

I have to say I'm not particularly confident that this will be fixed or even looked at this point since the last update from Aerosoft was that there would be a response after the testing team looked at it way back in October. With this in mind, has anyone figured out a consistent pattern to activate a climb using speed mode without this issue. Or the inverse -- know a particular scenario that causes it to not work? It would be a real shame to have to shelve this aircraft permanently because despite its many bugs, I really do enjoy flying it when I can trust it or at the very least know how to work around its problems.

The only think I am sure right now is the fact that itr works pretty well at the first flight. Whenever I do continue doing  turn-around and a second flight immediately after... all the worst things of CRJ comes out all together. The climb "Speed based" is totally gone for the fist 18/20000 ft of climb, I must switch to V/S to mitigate as a workaround in order to avoid a smooth climb together to an overspeed and crash of the a/c. But, as you well said, nothing fixed up in the last months /(neither the orrible LNAV behaviours for turns greater than 60°).

CRJ was nice project, but looks like to have been placed "aside" with no further real improvements (first overall things like LNAV, climb by SPEED, HOLDINGs....).

• Aerosoft

There will certainly be another update for the CRJ.  Of course it has bugs. But which addon doesn't have them? I still find it better than most aircraft. Since most of the systems work very well on her. 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb BaxterChico:

There will certainly be another update for the CRJ.  Of course it has bugs. But which addon doesn't have them? I still find it better than most aircraft. Since most of the systems work very well on her. 

It's been almost 1 year after release. This aircraft is collecting dust in my hangar.

How many updates it will need to be reliable and fun to fly it again ???

I lost MY faith ....

Oliver

6 hours ago, Andrea P. said:

The only think I am sure right now is the fact that itr works pretty well at the first flight. Whenever I do continue doing  turn-around and a second flight immediately after... all the worst things of CRJ comes out all together. The climb "Speed based" is totally gone for the fist 18/20000 ft of climb, I must switch to V/S to mitigate as a workaround in order to avoid a smooth climb together to an overspeed and crash of the a/c. But, as you well said, nothing fixed up in the last months /(neither the orrible LNAV behaviours for turns greater than 60°).

CRJ was nice project, but looks like to have been placed "aside" with no further real improvements (first overall things like LNAV, climb by SPEED, HOLDINGs....).

Interesting, I haven't had that experience -- I don't do many turnaround flights and I see this often quite often (but not always) on my first flight of the day.

Archived