ILS Autotune NAV 1 & 2?

mtissing

I am finding that (when in range) the CRJ autotunes the ILS freq. for both NAV 1 & 2. This occurs even when 'manual mode' has been selected for both channels on the radio page. Is this accurate to the real plane? I find it annoying to need to re-tune NAV 2 for every approach. Any tips on how to get around this?

We are talking about two different things:

The NAV-to-NAV transfer autotunes the ILS frequency regardless of the AUTO/MAN setting on the RADIO page (see section below). IRL the following preconditions must be met:

• The a/c is within the terminal area of the destination airport
  • A localizer based approach (i.e. ILS, LOC, BC) is entered into the active flightplan
  • FMS (white needles) is navigation source on both sides

The AS CRJ does not do that correctly, because NAV-to-NAV transfer even takes place with NAV source VOR (green needles).

Other bugs with this function:

• NAV-to-NAV transfer happens too fast: The message LOC WILL BE TUNED has to appear 30 sec. before frequency change
  • when the NAV frequency is changed after NAV-to-NAV transfer or the transfer is not possible for any reason there should be a message CHECK LOC TUNING

The AUTO/MAN toggles wether or not the FMS can independently tune VOR and DME stations for position calculating enroute. It was important with the older FMS versions, now we don't do it anymore. Anyway, the selector reverts to MAN as soon as you tune an active NAV frequency. This also happens with the NAV-to-NAV function, because the FMS always tunes the ILS frequency according to the approach you entered in the flightplan.

4 hours ago, KuntaKinte said:

The NAV-to-NAV transfer autotunes the ILS frequency regardless of the AUTO/MAN setting on the RADIO page (see section below). IRL the following preconditions must be met:

• A localizer based approach (i.e. ILS, LOC, BC) is entered into the active flightplan

The AS CRJ does not do that correctly, because NAV-to-NAV transfer even takes place with NAV source VOR (green needles).

• NAV-to-NAV transfer happens too fast: The message LOC WILL BE TUNED has to appear 30 sec. before frequency change
  • when the NAV frequency is changed after NAV-to-NAV transfer or the transfer is not possible for any reason there should be a message CHECK LOC TUNING

The AUTO/MAN toggles wether or not the FMS can independently tune VOR and DME stations for position calculating enroute. It was important with the older FMS versions, now we don't do it anymore. Anyway, the selector reverts to MAN as soon as you tune an active NAV frequency. This also happens with the NAV-to-NAV function, because the FMS always tunes the ILS frequency according to the approach you entered in the flightplan.

Thanks for providing this detail. I hope Aerosoft takes this into consideration.

Thanks for all those details! There is one thing I am still wondering. When the ILS Nav to Nav autotune takes place, is it normal to autotune BOTH radios? My expectation would be that it only tunes Nav 1...

Both pilots need to have the same NAV setting and charts. The pilot monitoring must have the same information as the pilot flying in order to be able to call out deviations and limits - especially during an approach which is a flight phase with high workload.

On 29.8.2021 at 13:06, KuntaKinte sagte:

Hi Mathias,

are the Devs aware of the bugs. You may want to ping them. Otherwise this gets lost.

Regards

Oliver

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2021 at 10:58 AM, KuntaKinte said:

Both pilots need to have the same NAV setting and charts. The pilot monitoring must have the same information as the pilot flying in order to be able to call out deviations and limits - especially during an approach which is a flight phase with high workload.

What I was asking about is not left and right seat. I often set Nav 2 to the destination VOR when in range (as backup) and set the ILS to Nav 1. I would assume that both pilots see these same channels. When the ILS autotunes, it appears on both radios meaning I have to reset Nav 2 back to the VOR I was tracking while leaving the autotuned ILS on Nav 1...

17 hours ago, mtissing said:

I would assume that both pilots see these same channels.

This is not the case, because under normal conditions the left side receives its data from NAV1 or FMS1 and the right side from NAV2 or FMS2. You can verify that when you compare both PFD: The NAV source readout (left of HSI) shows LOC1/VOR1/FMS1 on the left PFD, whereas the right PFD shows LOC2/VOR2/FMS2. Therefore, NAV-to-NAV transfer for both receivers is correct, but as said in my previous post, IRL you can avoid the transfer by changing to NAV source VOR in advance.

Archived