Jumpy bus, how I fixed mine....

M20RUM

Hi all, 

After a fortnight of an absolute nightmare with the bus and the jumping, FPS drop and frankly it being unflyable and frustrating (loss of control, pitching up down, left right, overspeeding etc). Never had this issue and I've been flying the bus since 2012...

I've pretty much read every forum post about this and set about my own investigations, my system isn't at fault, its getting on for 5 years old now but still on spec.

I'm happy to report I've fixed it and want to report where I found a problem. Simply, where are you running your bus from?

I personally have my P3D on an external USB SSD drive....as we all know since moving from FSX to P3D the size of the install has increased several fold especially when using lots of addons. This appears to be the issue. As P3D made access to the drive for things and the bus did too the drive hit processing capacity, a micro stutter occurred, FPS dropped and the bus went mental.

I've now installed the bus on an internal drive, separate to the P3D install and that seems have really smoothed things out. In addition I also deactivated trueglass (involves deactivating the gauge) and as I'm not an EFB user I've also deactivated the webserver module to keep that blacked out. But my better mileage really did come from the bus accessing a different drive to P3D. In addition I did also delete and let P3D rebuild my shaders folder.

I wanted to post this as to date the developers haven't asked or mentioned a drive access/bottleneck as possible issue or resolution and thought it might be worthwhile letting anyone else scratching their head that this may just work for you! Drive access could be causing the micro stutters! I'm now flying at 30-40fps (externally) locked, with AI traffic models, ORBX, ASP3D and more add on scenery you can shake a wing at! 

The bus is back! :)

Matt

PS for all the other issues that people get when selecting a panel state with regards to auto pilot issues/ not following NAV, needing to input a DIR before following the plan. After loading up, load cold and dark. Wait, put kettle on, then go for desired state (mine normally being "turn around state").

• 4 months later...

Hi Matt,

I had exactly the same problem as descibed by you. The framerate is very good and stable, but sometimes the bus hangs for a few seconds, which can lead to a sudden steep climb or decent. When the pilot doesn't take over control, a crash of the plane can be the result. My Aerosoft Airbus was installed in the default location, which is the P3D addons folder in the documents folder, and this is located on the C-drive where also the OS is installed. So after reading your advise, I have reinstalled the Airbus to a fast SSD M2 drive where also P3D v5.3 is installed. But after doing this the situation became much worser: low framerate and the freeze became much worser, the Airbus was nearly unflyable. So I have installed the Airbus now on another drive to make it separate from the OS and P3D. And now the problem is gone! So it seems that the location of the Airbus has a huge impact. I have used procmon to examine file access while the Airbus is running, and I discovered that the Airbus is reading a few files constantly, like the loadsheet file, over and over again, which is completely useless. Probably the Airbus becomes unstable when the file access is hanging for a couple of seconds, for example when the OS wants to perform an urgent task on the same disk. Aerosoft should have a look why the Airbus is accessing these files continuously and stop the reading of the same files over and over again.

Thanks for your advise!

Archived