Controlling the Aerosoft CRJ lights with Axis And Ohs under MSFS

SimWare

• Aerosoft

Controlling the Aerosoft CRJ lights with Axis And Ohs under MSFS

NOTE : This was updated on August 25, 2021.
                -> Added Landing Lights and Taxi Lights

This is simply an informational post about one possible way to interface the CRJ lights.
This NOT a compatibility warranty or an official feature of the CRJ, Honeycomb or MSFS.
This is only sharing information, experience and ideas to build your own development.

We will not cover the use of Axis And Ohs here.
There is a introduction tutorial available :

The Axis And Ohs lights template are attached below
The Axis And Ohs lights RPN scripts are attached below

The lights are :
- NAV Lights
- Beacon
- Strobe Lights

- Logo Lights

- Wings Lights
- Landing Light LEFT

- Landing Light NOSE

- Landing Light RIGHT

- Taxi Lights

Please login to display this image.

For each lights we create two Axis And Ohs scripts.
1 - The first one sets the corresponding L-Var to 1 (or ON)

2 - The second one sets the same L-Var to 0 (or OFF)

NOTE : There are 3 distinct landing lights : LEFT - NOSE - RIGHT
             There are ON/OFF functions for each ones AND global ON/OFF function for the three all together
             in case the controller in use dosn't have enought switches.
             ->This is the case in the supplied template.

After that, each button is assigned the two light functions (One for the button ON state, the other for the button OFF state)

NOTE : 
This template is specific to the Honeycomb Bravo Throttle quadrant.
You can of course use any other controller by using the scripts only and assigning them to the buttons 

of your own controller.

That’s it !

AxisAndOhsScripts.xml CRJ-LIGHTS-HONEYCOMB-BRAVO.tmpl

• SimWare changed the title to Controlling the Aerosoft CRJ lights with Axis And Ohs under MSFS

I managed to add the lights to my Alpha controls. BCN is the beacon, LAND turns on the left and right landing lights. TAXI turns on NOSE + taxi lights (because just the taxi lights are too dark at night). NAV turns on the nav lights and STROBE turns on the strobes.

Beacon:

Landing:

Taxi:

Nav + Logo:

Strobe:

As you can see from the list on the left, I also added button assignments for BAT (Battery Master On), ALT (Ground Power), AVIONICS BUS 1 (Hydraulics 3A), AVIONICS BUS 2 (Hydralics 1 + 2 + 3B) and loads more stuff.

4 hours ago, SimWare said:

Keep up the good work and... keep sharing it !

I'll try to find some free time and do a full write-up of my config. Should I do a separate post or add it to yours?

• 2 months later...

I have a weird issue.

I can get the Wing Inspection Lights to work using the L-Var and I can get all the other lights working fine except for the Logo Lights.  The logo lights will just not work.

I have followed this post and others but for some reason the Logo lights will not function from Axis and ohs.

Any Ideas on what I may be missing.  I am new to this.

• Aerosoft
11 hours ago, paladin569 said:

I have a weird issue.

I can get the Wing Inspection Lights to work using the L-Var and I can get all the other lights working fine except for the Logo Lights.  The logo lights will just not work.

I have followed this post and others but for some reason the Logo lights will not function from Axis and ohs.

Any Ideas on what I may be missing.  I am new to this.

Hi Paladin,

Can you please show your code ?
Also, maybe a dumb question, but are you sure the physical switch you assigned the logo light to is working ?
Is it detected by Windows ?

Thank you.

ok here is the code for ON

1·(>L:ASCRJ_EXTL_LOGO,·Number)

and for OFF

0·(>L:ASCRJ_EXTL_LOGO,·Number)

I tested the switch using the Wing inspection lights and the switch works correctly.  I cannot get the logo lights to work on any switch.

Windows does detect all of the switches.

I am probably doing something silly but it worked for the other lights.

ok I think I have the issue pinpointed.  I diod not notice this before.  The Switch number recognized by Axis and Ohs is incorrect compared to windows.

Windows detects Button 13 and Axis and Ohs detect it as Button 12 which is assigned elsewhere.

I am not sure why this is the case.  Anyone know a workaround for that?

that was a red herrimg.... A&O counts from 0 and windows counts from 1 so thats not the issue.

I have now rewired the switch to ensure its correct and I can still only turn the Logo Lights OFF but not ON.  Tried Several different switches and connections but nothing works.  

ALL OTHER LIGHTS work as expected through A&O

• Aerosoft
On 11/10/2021 at 2:30 PM, paladin569 said:

did some more troubleshooting

This one switch seems to only operate to turn the lights OFF. but not on.  however when I assign it to Wing inspection lights it does both.

I am baffled 

Hi Paladin,

Can we go very basic ?
Here is a short video showing the script in the AAO script editor box.
I manually change the "0" and "1" and use the TEST button.
As you can see it works in the CRJ 550.
Don't you get the same behavior ?
If not, are you sure that not other device has an assignment to the LOGO light ?
If unsure, just physically disconnect every USB hardware and try the TEST button only.

Best regards.

ok so I did exactly as you in the video and got the expected result so the var is work ing correctly.

However in the A&O when I attempt to use the vars it only executes the OFF and not the ON.

Now since I am using an on-none-on switch to make the input I wired it up so up  = off and down = on on two seperate assignments and it works (which make zero sense by the way)

I can get away with this but its not the cleanest method and I am not sure why the Logo is the only light giving me grief.

oh for crying out loud......

I couldn't leave it alone so I delete the assignments and created a single assignment again using the on and the off vars and now the bloody thing works as expected.

I honestly hate when this type of thing happens.  its like the elusive character in a thousand lines of code causing it to fail.  

Suffice it to say it is working and I am sorry for wasting your time.

/Sigh/

• Aerosoft

Hi Pakadin,

No worry.

Just note that this system will indeed require two ON positions switch or or two ON/OFF switches as one ON signal triggers the function that sets the Lvar to 1, and the other ON signal triggers the function that sets the Lvar to 0.

Best regards.

• 4 months later...
  • Aerosoft

Dear Sir,

There is a link to a very basic step by step 

tutorial at the beginning of this post.

Please check it, as it explain the basics of the script system. 

Best regards.

On 8/26/2021 at 4:36 AM, Moridin said:

As you can see from the list on the left, I also added button assignments for BAT (Battery Master On), ALT (Ground Power), AVIONICS BUS 1 (Hydraulics 3A), AVIONICS BUS 2 (Hydralics 1 + 2 + 3B) and loads more stuff.

Yes but How do you get that command or script into the Assigned button box  thanks for your advice

• Aerosoft

Please check the second part of this tutorial. 

You create the Script, the you assign it to a button or axis in the main screen.

Archived