MSFS 2020 world map flight plan and the CRJ700 fms flight plan

I have always just loaded a flight plan into the msfs 2020 world map flight planning system, then loaded the crj700 and loaded the same flight plan in the fms without really asking this question...

Is it necessary to load both.

I just took it for granted that if I did not load the flight plan into the msfs 2020 world map then the sim's atc would not know where I intended to fly.

If I did not load the flight plan into the crj fms then the crj would not know where to fly.

Is this correct?

Then I guess this is a question for Aerosoft, since I don't see Asobo being able or willing to do this:

Is it possible for Aerosoft to "add" a *.pln format to simbrief flight plans that are loaded into the crj700 fms?

I load the *.flp now, can they make it so the *.pln can be preloaded as well?

This would ensure complete accuracy with the flight navigation of the aircraft.

Just a thought.

There is already an export option from simbrief to "Aerosoft CRJ". In my case it has to be stored here: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\packages\aerosoft-crj\work. You can import the plan by using the fms "ROUTE MENU".

Sorry moonfog,  I wasn't very clear.

I'm not a programmer, but I have some that work for me.  Good ones.

Each time you change the code of the exported file, it is potentially a different layout.  Things are "jumbled" around - not the same.  This introduces errors.  Like when I import a simbrief *.flp into crj700 fms and the result is duplicate waypoints, for example, that then have to be edited out.

The time to correct this is not so much an issue as, both separate flight plans, although meant to be the same, are in fact different.

I am told one format relies on north-south coordinates, while the other relies on east-west. They opened the files and showed me.  If this is true, that alone can be a cause for introducing potential errors between the two flight plan formats.

Also, I don't know but wonder, is the software used to write the original *.pln the same as that used to write the *.flp.  That can also be a source of error between the two plan formats.

I was thinking that if Aerosoft imported the *.pln format into the crj700 fms, then there would be no difference between the code. 

MSFS 2020 and CRJ700 have the exact same flight plan.  No errors, no editing post install, less chance for msfs 2020 atc thinking you are doing one thing, and crj700 fms flying to something else.  Especially on approaches.

In the meantime, I am having my guy look into building me a *.pln to *.flp converter, as the simbrief exports are obviously different, or there would be no problems to "fix" once the simbrief *.flp was loaded into the crj700 fms.

He has done many software project for my full scale flight sims over the years, but the real question is, do I want to take my own time and money to fix what should obviously be done already.

Example:  All computer video cards, no matter how they are made, and by who, have (fit) into the same identical video card slot.  Cross platform - they all use the same install, or you would have caos in the computer industry on so many levels.

I theorizing that the aircraft manufacturers, asobos and 3rd parties, need to settle on one flight plan format for all.  Life would be so much simpler for those who buy the products.

I know it's just a game, but for me, it is flight training.  RL does not work this way.

Sorry if I'm being to nit picky about  it, don't mean to be.

First of all, SimBrief or the SimBrief Downloader do just that. They take SimBrief’s OFP and try to export it to the different systems. That is MSFS .flp or .pln formats (yes MSFS does different formats for a flight or just the route) or different .fms formats for several 3rd party aircraft or other sims. 

None of those formats are standardized. Because they all fulfill different needs. 

A .fms  file generated for the A320 can contain information about passengers, cargo weight and fuel. Or something simple like the flight number. Where a .pln  file for MSFS saves a parking gate for departure and destination airport. 

You will almost always have discrepancies from one or the other. Some more some less. 

You can also try littleNavmap. A free tool to generate flight plans for export to various formats (and more). 

but I don’t think there is “the” perfect way since there are to many different manufacturers of aircraft systems, FMS/MCDU/GARMIN versions and they all try to do the best for its needs. 

Archived