Fix for cockpit interaction issues introduced in Sim Update 5 (VR fix)

SteveFrost

Over the past week I have been working on a fix for the cockpit interaction issues that Sim Update 5 introduced for the CRJ product. This fix involves modifying some of the model behaviors that are shipped with the CRJ in order to make the controls compatible with the new interaction system. I know it has been a source of frustration for many, including myself, so I thought I'd do something about it!

I reached out to Mathijs but was unfortunately unable to get permission to distribute the modified model behavior XML files directly in a package. However, I came up with a different solution - a simple tool which generates a Microsoft Flight Simulator package containing the fix, using the files that exist on your system from your own CRJ installation. This means I don't need to distribute the XML files and a fix can be available for everyone!

System Requirements:

• Aerosoft CRJ v1.0.6
  • .NET Core 3.1 Runtime (download here)

The application does not modify your existing installation in any way - it simply copies files from the aerosoft-crj package, modifies them to support the new interaction system and builds a new package from those changes. The package will be created in the community folder and named aerosoft-crj-interaction-fix. It can be removed at any time to revert to the current behavior.

The application can be downloaded here.

I have published the source code for the application on GitHub: https://github.com/StevenFrost/Aerosoft-CRJ-Interaction-Fixer. Feel free to take a look through and convince yourself that I'm not out to steal all your data! There are also some known issues and general information which you might find interesting.

If you encounter any issues do let me know in this thread or by creating an issue on the GitHub repository. I can't guarantee any support but I'll do my best to deal with the big issues.

Finally, a word on the marketplace version of the CRJ. I have been unable to test the application on such an installation since I purchased it from Aerosoft directly. I am aware that marketplace addons often have encryption and as such some files will not be present. I suspect that some, if not all, of the files required by the package generator will be missing for marketplace versions of the CRJ, but there's no harm in trying. If it does fail due to missing files, there's nothing I can do I'm afraid!

Thanks for your time! I hope you enjoy some working interactions!

All the best,

Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 6

Well gave that a go and sadly doesnt do anything. Program doesnt run and closes in a split second. Not sure if there are any specific file location the fix folder has to be but tried a few but nothing worked.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Razalom said:

Well gave that a go and sadly doesnt do anything. Program doesnt run and closes in a split second. Not sure if there are any specific file location the fix folder has to be but tried a few but nothing worked.

Hi @Razalom, did you extract all the files from the zip archive before running AerosoftCRJInteractionFixer.exe?

48 minutes ago, Razalom said:

Install this before : https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet/thank-you/runtime-desktop-3.1.18-windows-x64-installer

• Upvote 2

Just beat me to it @Floki! Tested on my non-dev PC and realised the .NET core runtime isn't installed by default. The requirement is .NET Core 3.1 (LTS) for those who want to find it themselves.

I'll update the requirements on the GitHub repository and original post :)

• Upvote 2

Since Sim Update 5, pushbuttons in the middle of knobs can't be interacted with on the CRJ. You'll see it mostly on the FCP, with the CRS 1 & 2, SPD, HDG and ALT knobs, as well as the NAV SOURCE and BARO knobs on the left and right side panels.

This fixes those interactions so you can click the pushbuttons once again, in both the lock and legacy interaction modes.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SteveFrost said:

Since Sim Update 5, pushbuttons in the middle of knobs can't be interacted with on the CRJ. You'll see it mostly on the FCP, with the CRS 1 & 2, SPD, HDG and ALT knobs, as well as the NAV SOURCE and BARO knobs on the left and right side panels.

This fixes those interactions so you can click the pushbuttons once again, in both the lock and legacy interaction modes.

Firing up the Sim now. As a VR flyer it was getting very frustrated so praying this works just as well in VR.

6 minutes ago, Razalom said:

Firing up the Sim now. As a VR flyer it was getting very frustrated so praying this works just as well in VR.

Do let me know if it works! I don't have VR hardware so haven't been able to test it myself.

16 minutes ago, SteveFrost said:

Do let me know if it works! I don't have VR hardware so haven't been able to test it myself.

Yes it does work for the left hand side of the buttons but that is good enough for me as I can now click them. The area clickable does get smaller the further away and more of an angle the button is at but its still useable so thanks so much for this!

10 minutes ago, Razalom said:

Yes it does work for the left hand side of the buttons but that is good enough for me as I can now click them. The area clickable does get smaller the further away and more of an angle the button is at but its still useable so thanks so much for this!

13 minutes ago, Godfrey Massa said:

Mate the plane is awesome but you do  have to actually do some work with it compared to the A320 and other FBW type planes. This is very much a hands on aircraft and I love it for that. This and the DC-6 keep me playing even though the A320 is fun but easy :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SteveFrost said:

Aerosoft CRJ v 1.0.6.0 without fix - below
Legacy mode

Lock mode

In my case no need to fix something that isn’t broken.

Known Issues

The weather radar GCS button on the GAIN knob is not interactable

The weather radar Push Auto button on the TILT knob is not interactable

source https://github.com/StevenFrost/Aerosoft-CRJ-Interaction-Fixer/releases/tag/v1.0.0

Fix.
Right click and left click.

Legacy mode - below

Lock mode - below

Source

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/fix-for-aerosoft-crj-broken-interactions/444494/7

vor 36 Minuten, TenPatrol sagte:

Aerosoft CRJ v 1.0.6.0 without fix - below
Legacy mode

Lock mode

In my case no need to fix something that isn’t broken.

Fix.
Right click and left click.

Legacy mode - below

Lock mode - below

Source

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/fix-for-aerosoft-crj-broken-interactions/444494/7

doesn't work in VR wich is why a lot of people are happy to have that "fix".

• Like 2

Ah interesting, I can release an updated version which accepts 1.0.9 as well. I recall seeing many posts here about the marketplace version of the addon having an incorrect version number when 1.0.6 got released.

However, I believe the in-game marketplace version will be missing files required to apply the fix as they are often encrypted. As such, you might get an error regarding missing files and there's nothing I can do about that.

I'll post here when a new version is available for you to try.

• Upvote 1

A new version is now available, primarily addressing @Chris Pope's issue. You can download the new version directly here. Release notes can be found here.

If you have already generated a package successfully there is no need to download the latest version of the application, the output is identical.

As I previously mentioned, while the application will now accept marketplace v1.0.9 it may still run into issues while generating the package due to encryption.

• Like 1

Ah sorry about that! Wish there was something I could do about it, but I wasn't able to get permission to redistribute those files unfortunately :( .

Hopefully the official fix for this problem isn't too far out.