Some Posts Requesting Help With an Issue Were Moved

Herman

• Deputy Sheriffs

Several recent posts to this "General Discussion...no support please!" section were moved to a relevant section to better assist with resolution. If you recently started such a post and don't see it here, please review the dedicated support areas to find your post.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Alternatively you can also hover with the mouse above your profile picture in the upper right corner of the page and then click on "Find Content" in the popup window that opens.

Please login to display this image.

I have no intention to tell you guys how to do things, it's your forum and you set the rules. However, since I joined up I've noticed that there seems to be a constant battle between the forum members and the moderators. There are pinned posts about posting in the correct section and you always have to correct and move posts.

Again, I don't mean to tell you guys how to do your job but this is in fact the only forum I visit where this is such an issue. I believe it's a bit like an application, if you need to explain how it works you should make a better UI. Especially if the users doesn't get it even though you explain it for them.

I don't know how but maybe you should consider reorganizing the forum so that it becomes more obvious where to post? People constantly post support related questions in General Discussion despite you constantly telling them not to. But in a well organized forum that shouldn't be a problem, it should be obvious that those should be posted somewhere else.

It could be that the forum titles are a bit confusing. For instance you have one called "Systems" and one called "Manual Flight, Autoflight and Flight Management". So if I have an issue with the auto pilot that may or may not have something to do with what I have entered in the FMS, where am I supposed to post that question? 

Perhaps you should consider having a section called Support under which you have sub-sections for different systems? I don't know.

And what exactly do you mean with "Open discussion about the Aerosoft CRJ"? It may be obvious for you and some of the other members but apparently it's not for all the ones posting things you want them to post somewhere else. And do you really need a section for that? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe you need one section for open discussions about Aerosoft and one for the CRJ? I don't know.

What I do know however is that if you constantly have to tell people how to do a simple task (such as posting in the correct section on a forum), you are most likely the one doing something wrong.

I hope this doesn't comes out offensive in any way, I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Hi Zenit

I don't buy that.  It is no different that all the manuals that AS publishes that apparently very few people read.  In essence what you are asking for is a manual for the manual for the manual.  I will guarantee that it will not help because, today, we have so many people who seem to not want to be self-reliant and this is reflected here.  You can see it everywhere from not following the rules, to downvoting something just because they don't like the facts, to the constant posts that would have been answered had they did a simple google or forum search.  A great example was installing 1.06.  How many people did NOT uninstall the old version?  How many people posted "I can't update using AS Updater and I don't know what to do?"  I get what you are saying and in theory agree with the premise.  However on every forum I am part of, no matter how it is organized (including the one I run for my company to provide support for our clients), people just seem to want to do things their way and then complain to/blame others when the results are not what they want.  

The only change I would suggest to be made here is to do away completely with the voting process.  This allows the children to control the cereal aisle.  Just wait, this post will be downvoted merely because I posted it.  I had a feature like this on our company board and it was active thinking that our clients would use it to drive others to the most helpful posts.  Turns out that just like here, they formed their cliques and voting hunting parties and started vendettas.  

When you get a new product you become the principal person responsible for it's operation if for no other reason that it now belongs to you.  You login here is kind of the same.  When I go to a board I read the rules and guides first.  I also immediately find the search tools and look at the general layout so I can get a sense of what the board creators are tying to do.  I believe that what you see here is nothing more than a reflection on the larger society of today where everyone thinks they are special to everyone else and they deserve/demand special treatment. 

34 minutes ago, Crabby said:

In essence what you are asking for is a manual for the manual for the manual.

No I'm not, in fact it's the opposite.

If you have a forum where you need to have pinned posts explaining in what section one should post and people still don't get it, even though the moderators try to explain it on a daily basis, it's in my opinion a sign that the forum could be better organized. I'm NOT asking for more or better instructions, I'm saying you shouldn't even need instructions like that if it was more clear where to post.

Take my example about the auto pilot issue, where would you post that? In the "Systems" section or in the "Manual Flight, Autoflight and Flight Managemen" section? And how many people do you think would post a "The speed bug is off" in "General Discussion" if there where a section called "Bugs and Issues"? Probably some but not even close to what we see today.

However, I really get your point! Why buy a complex and (relatively) expensive addon if you aren't interested in learning all the systems? I don't get that either, but neither of us will ever be able to change that unfortunately. My post wasn't about people posting about issues that are explained on page 1 in the manual, we will always have those. It's about the constant issues the moderators seem to have with people posting in the wrong sections and that should in my opinion be fairly easy to do something about if they just made some changes in the way the forum is organized.

Or maybe not, I don't know. It's just a feeling I have.

I would also like to suggest a function to mark posts as "solved".

With the current system of just closing a topic when a moderator consider something being resolved is a bit odd and I understand that people might have issues with it. This is the only forum that I know of that have that system.

Marking a post as the solution for the OPs question has however become a de facto standard among forums today. With that I believe we would see a reduction of "re-posts" since it would make it a lot easier to find a solution for a problem.

2 hours ago, zenit_swe said:

If you have a forum where you need to have pinned posts explaining in what section one should post and people still don't get it, even though the moderators try to explain it on a daily basis, it's in my opinion a sign that the forum could be better organized. I'm NOT asking for more or better instructions, I'm saying you shouldn't even need instructions like that if it was more clear where to post.

Take my example about the auto pilot issue, where would you post that? In the "Systems" section or in the "Manual Flight, Autoflight and Flight Managemen" section? And how many people do you think would post a "The speed bug is off" in "General Discussion" if there where a section called "Bugs and Issues"? Probably some but not even close to what we see today.

However, I really get your point! Why buy a complex and (relatively) expensive addon if you aren't interested in learning all the systems? I don't get that either, but neither of us will ever be able to change that unfortunately. My post wasn't about people posting about issues that are explained on page 1 in the manual, we will always have those. It's about the constant issues the moderators seem to have with people posting in the wrong sections and that should in my opinion be fairly easy to do something about if they just made some changes in the way the forum is organized.

Thanks for the feedback, it's very appreciated.  We do in fact reorganize the forums from time to time, based on new products and overall trends in the community.

Thanks again!

7 hours ago, zenit_swe said:

Again, I understand what you are saying, but for example there are pinned posts here and yet people do what they want.  That means only two things:

1. They did not read the pinned posts.

2. They read the pinned posts and think they are special and they do what they want.  

Autopilot questions go in the "Manual Flight Autoflight and Flight Management" section.  Systems would be things like the APU or pneumatics.  

How many people would post the Speed Bug is Off in General....A lot because they are too lazy or some other way challenged to put that in the Autoflight/Flight Management section.  

Here is the bottom line.  Rules and structure only work on those with morals, social ability and structure in their lives.  For example you can pass a law to make X illegal, however the only people who will follow that law are already law abiding people.  Criminals don't care about a law.  In the same way, people who can't follow the board structure here as it is today, either won't be able or will refuse to follow what it looks like tomorrow.  We are trying to baby proof the house when we really need to house proof the baby.

P.S.  I am not against nor advocating not changing the board structure.  Just pointing out that any changes will only be good for the people who use it the right way today.  

6 hours ago, Crabby said:

Again, I understand what you are saying, but for example there are pinned posts here and yet people do what they want.  That means only two things:

1. They did not read the pinned posts.

2. They read the pinned posts and think they are special and they do what they want.  

Autopilot questions go in the "Manual Flight Autoflight and Flight Management" section.  Systems would be things like the APU or pneumatics.  

How many people would post the Speed Bug is Off in General....A lot because they are too lazy or some other way challenged to put that in the Autoflight/Flight Management section.  

Here is the bottom line.  Rules and structure only work on those with morals, social ability and structure in their lives.  For example you can pass a law to make X illegal, however the only people who will follow that law are already law abiding people.  Criminals don't care about a law.  In the same way, people who can't follow the board structure here as it is today, either won't be able or will refuse to follow what it looks like tomorrow.  We are trying to baby proof the house when we really need to house proof the baby.

P.S.  I am not against nor advocating not changing the board structure.  Just pointing out that any changes will only be good for the people who use it the right way today.  

Dude, you must have had some seriously traumatic experiences. Do or did you by any chance work at a support help desk? 🙂

12 hours ago, zenit_swe said:

Dude, you must have had some seriously traumatic experiences. Do or did you by any chance work at a support help desk? 🙂

Show me where I am wrong.  Facts have no bearing on my experiences.  However since you have asked...I have had a great life and expect to continue to have a great life.

• Administrator
On 8/15/2021 at 5:02 PM, zenit_swe said:

I would also like to suggest a function to mark posts as "solved".

With the current system of just closing a topic when a moderator consider something being resolved is a bit odd and I understand that people might have issues with it. This is the only forum that I know of that have that system.

Marking a post as the solution for the OPs question has however become a de facto standard among forums today. With that I believe we would see a reduction of "re-posts" since it would make it a lot easier to find a solution for a problem.

This is actually something we are actively exploring as we now have the capability to implement this without changing the core forum structure. We'll hopefully be able to start implementing this in certain sections soon.

On the topic as a whole: We've done a few major restructures, however, with a forum of our size its difficult to always make the experience seamless as its always going to require a few clicks to get to places, but with that said hopefully what I mentioned above will enable us to clean things up a bit more.

Archived