CRJ Crashes entire app on loading

Dave5150

Hi guys, I just bought the CRJ through the MSFS store. When I try to use it on a flight, it shows the loading screen and the bar gets about 3/4 to the end, then the entire app crashes bringing me back to the Windows desktop. I thought it might be something weird with my system so I decided to format my drive and reload Windows from scratch, then MSFS2020. Same exact thing. I was expecting it to take the initial 10 minutes, but this doesn't even get that far.

I searched a similar topic and apparently there are supposedly there should be some files in the Aerosoft-CRJ directory, but mine only contains an empty folder called "work". I was going to download the debugging .reg file that was mentioned in the FAQ here, but someone removed the files to download for some reason.

Please login to display this image.

Do we have an ETA on the update? I'm reading in another thread that the issue might actually be the fact that I bought it in the MSFS Marketplace vs here on Aerosoft's site. Apparently the Marketplace version is encrypted and Asobo made a change that makes it incompatible with my older CPU. I wonder if I can request a refund from MS and re-buy it here?

• Deputy Sheriffs

You can try to request a refund from Microsoft. I have seen cases where it was provided but also cases where it was denied (with a hint on the system requirements for the MSFS which have been already published last year in August when MSFS initially released).

The upcoming CRJ update will change nothing on the problem with not supported CPUs.

Yeah I'm thinking that's exactly what's going on here. I would love to upgrade my CPU but can't really afford that at the moment. It's to bad MS is encrypting the way they are, since my CPU can actually run MSFS2020 quite well. I submitted a refund request to Steam so hopefully they approve that and I can re-buy it here so at least I can run it.

• Deputy Sheriffs
16 minutes ago, Dave5150 said:

I submitted a refund request to Steam so hopefully they approve that and I can re-buy it here so at least I can run it.

Instead of Steam you mean Microsoft, right?

Well, because I purchased MSFS2020 from Steam, the FS Marketplace redirects you to Steam to buy "credits", then you can purchased the CRJ from the marketplace with those credits. It's a pretty weird way of doing things, that's for sure. So I had to request the refund from Steam. They just emailed me back that the request was denied, as they said it was "consumed". I've never been able to load it and it's been less than 48 hours since buying it, so I'm not sure what they're talking about. I guess I have a CPU upgrade in my future.

• Aerosoft

I understand the frustration, but the product page on Steam does mention what CPU is minimally needed. Now it might be possible that this limitation will be removed, but we have no further information on that. Also please note that all available add-ons bought outside the shop will not have this limitation. HOWEVER, as we work inside the sim, we still have the same CPU list on our requirements as are on the Microsoft and Steam pages. You simply should not assume thjings will work if you have a non supported CPU.

I definitely understand, the specs are put there for a reason, and maybe it’s my ignorance but I’ve always assumed those minimum specs had more to do with speed running the game versus not being able to handle an algorithm of loading a software package. I am 49 and have been saturated in IT since I was 8 with my first 640K IBM PC, and this caught me off guard. I do think there are enough people being affected by this to warrant a more thorough description on the minimum requirements detailing exactly why the cpu model matters so much, both on your site and on Microsoft’s end. Something like “Please note, the specific model intel chip is noted because previous models lack the ability to install the software”. 

Archived