Loosing airspeed and stalling

mizra108

Climbing through FL340 aprox, aircraft starts slowly loosing airspeed until it stalls no matter if you put full throttle and level the nose. I remember experiencing this way back whenever you had the spoiler axis mapped to your hardware lever, however, this was solved eventually with an update to the CRJ. Now, after msfs2020 and all the hotfixes installed, I have started encountering this issue again. Is the team aware of this? Has anyone else experienced it?

10 minutes ago, mizra108 said:

Climbing through FL340 aprox, aircraft starts slowly loosing airspeed until it stalls no matter if you put full throttle and level the nose. I remember experiencing this way back whenever you had the spoiler axis mapped to your hardware lever, however, this was solved eventually with an update to the CRJ. Now, after msfs2020 and all the hotfixes installed, I have started encountering this issue again. Is the team aware of this? Has anyone else experienced it?

I had this happen once recently. Turning on full anti-ice for 1 minute (or 2) solved it. There were no clouds.

Hello @mizra108 and welcome to the forums.

There could be many reasons you would experience that "speed loss", starting from: the mentioned wrong mapping, plane missconfiguration, weight and balance settings, Ice option in MSFS and A/I setting in aircraft, etc....so as you see, we need more informations from your side regarding this issue.

May I ask if you ran through the tutorial flight and if something simmilar happened?

I encountered the same problem here.

The more altitude you gain, the more difficult it is for the CRJ to maintain its speed ...

It is surely a normal phenomenon.

I noticed that the activation of the anti ice reduces the power of the engines so by deactivating it if not necessary the plane does not stall

On the other hand it cannot exceed the 235 - 240 knots past FL320 ... for a Ground Speed approximately 440 GS ... I do not know if this is a normal behavior ...

37 minutes ago, vincenzo34 said:

I encountered the same problem here.

The more altitude you gain, the more difficult it is for the CRJ to maintain its speed ...

It is surely a normal phenomenon.

I noticed that the activation of the anti ice reduces the power of the engines so by deactivating it if not necessary the plane does not stall

On the other hand it cannot exceed the 235 - 240 knots past FL320 ... for a Ground Speed approximately 440 GS ... I do not know if this is a normal behavior ...

It must be a configuration error because i manage normal speeds @high altitude.

Please login to display this image.

2 minutes ago, vincenzo34 said:

Ok thanks , i see 451 GS and approximatively 250Knots ... so it's that's about what I got !

Above FL280 switch from KIAS to .Mach for speed reference. You are familiar with the difference between indicated airspeed and true airspeed? If not google it.

22 minutes ago, Danny Vincken said:

Above FL280 switch from KIAS to .Mach for speed reference. You are familiar with the difference between indicated airspeed and true airspeed? If not google it.

Yes i m familiar.

Test now and i have same perf like you !

so no problem !

Thx

Vincent

Please login to display this image.

@vincenzo34 you are looking at the wrong numbers.

Look at VNAV setting in the FMS (3 Pages: Climb / Cruize / Descent). For CLIMB you will see standard 290/.74 (Knots / Mach). For CRZ you will see 300/.74...

As you continue to climb there is less friction with the air thus your speed will increase (look at the left upper corner of the FD there is the speed in M.xxx). You will also see the speed increasing on the ND under TAS and GS.

At about FL280 290Kts = M.74 and (if I'm not mistaking) the CRJ should automaticaly switch from KTS to M. As of now you will no longer climb with 290Kts but with M.74.

You get higher and keep constant CLB of M.74 and you will now observe that the Speed marker will slowly slide down the speed ribbon (this does not mean you get slower...as explained above). 

1 hour ago, GEK_the_Reaper said:

At about FL280 290Kts = M.74 and (if I'm not mistaking) the CRJ should automaticaly switch from KTS to M. As of now you will no longer climb with 290Kts but with M.74.

Unless something has changed, the automatic switch-over in the CRJ occurs at 31,600 ft. (along with the automatic half-bank engagement).  If you wait until that point, 290 kts is ~M0.77 (so you have to manually switch from IAS to MACH at FL280 to maintain M0.74).

12 hours ago, GEK_the_Reaper said:

@vincenzo34 you are looking at the wrong numbers.

Look at VNAV setting in the FMS (3 Pages: Climb / Cruize / Descent). For CLIMB you will see standard 290/.74 (Knots / Mach). For CRZ you will see 300/.74...

As you continue to climb there is less friction with the air thus your speed will increase (look at the left upper corner of the FD there is the speed in M.xxx). You will also see the speed increasing on the ND under TAS and GS.

You get higher and keep constant CLB of M.74 and you will now observe that the Speed marker will slowly slide down the speed ribbon (this does not mean you get slower...as explained above). 

@GEK_the_Reaper Thank you for the info !
I saw very well in flight and understood your explanation ;)

@mizra108

The MSFS has still the temperature bug at hight altitudes.

The screenshot from @vincenzo34 show a right temp at that altitude, but if the bug gets active the performance the engines will drop, even on full power, loosing speed and so on....

Look next time at the temp in the upper right side of the Nav-Display, if the problems starts.

@Danny Vincken

May be depending in what region you fly?

After HF2 from Frankurt to Geneva the temp was flipping every minute from -23°C to +20°C  so I to have stopped my climb at FL230. 

Strangely enough during two flghts over USA (Florida and California) the temp was fine at cruise FLs.

Archived