H1 Racer going beta

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, he has fooled you good, 3500miles :lol: . The H-1 did not have a long range at all, about 200 miles.

1.) Hughes H-1 History (Boeing)

2.) Those runs Hughes himself did where with nearly empty tanks (to reduce weight) so he ran out of fuel quickly.

What are you talking about? He made a transcontinental speed record flying the long winged version from LA to New Jersey buddy.

200 miles is probably for the short red wing version, and even then not under optimal conditions, maybe at sea level with full throttle.. The plane was later modified to brake the transcontinental U.S. speed record. They added a new set of larger wings to decrease the wing loading and provide space for additional fuel tanks. Hughes did fly the long (blue) wing H1B nonstop from Los Angeles to New York City, around 2500 miles in 7 hours, 28 minutes and 25 seconds, a new record at this time.

http://www.wrightools.com/hughes/h1_history.htm

http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/gal105/#H-1

Edit: Any news when it will be released?

Ok sorry, I stand corrected then. I just though that 3500miles would be way over the top knowing that the "normal" version only achieved a few hundred.

By the way, what about a release? Are we getting close?

Ok sorry, I stand corrected then. I just though that 3500miles would be way over the top knowing that the "normal" version only achieved a few hundred.

By the way, what about a release? Are we getting close?

Hi Folks!

Sorry I didn't returned earlier to satisfy your information requests, but I was really dug inside the work.

So now we have finished BETA TEST on the longwinged version first, because there was more information at time available at this piece of aviation art.

Modeling/Texturing work is also finalized for the shortwinged racing version of the H-1. From monday on flight testing will be applied to shotwinged version.

This will be the final work on the aircrafts itself. There will be a very detailed manual too, that allows deep inside for example in the gravity carburetor function.

This is needed, because we searched and found a unique way to simulator carburetor icing much more realistic than the standard model. This will be one among

many other suprises that will await the H-1 customer for a very special experience.

Folks: Release is near.

To the questions:

1. Red winged racer: I researched almost a year over the H-1, never found a story about a redwinged H-1

2. The H-1 is in principle two aircraft: A racing version finished in summer 1935, with short wings and a top speed of 370 MPH at almost dry tanks. I know, many sources show

352.XXX MPH, this was the world record speed. Hughes flew the engine, in fear he would ruin it, only at 90 Percent power output. But at the last speed run, he got in speed fever,

and opened the throttle fully, bringing the bird shortly to 370 MPH....but then as history tells...ran out of fuel.

Originally Hughes wanted to pimp up the shortwinged racer with a stronger engine, but abandoned that thought, when he saw, the competitors had already better designed aircraft

one year later. So 1936 he was clever and tried something other: The transcontinental record. This is for speed and range and so for efficiency. In 1936 the crashed H-1 wasn't

ready again, because there was no place for addtional tanks, that would deliver the range needed. Even too, that old airfoil performance was not good enough at longrange, so

bringing lift and reduce airdrag. Lacking a capable aircraft Hughes contacted a lovely young lady, an aviation adventurine, Ms. Cochrane. She was short on money and reluctant to

sell her beloved Northrop Gamma. But at a evening dinner Howard turned her opinion and she sadly took the money. So with the Gamma Hughes did his first transcontinental record

in January 1936. He learned a lot from it, especially how much more efficient flying in thin high altitude air is, but how cold too and not to speak over Hypoxia. All this went into the

modification of the formerly grounded H-1 and brought her longer wings and more wing area and an addition of Auxiliary Tanks. Hughes was so happy about that bird that he let make

contact with Ms. Cochrane again and sold the bird back to her. But at a fraction of the buying price, so it was almost a gift.

Then in january 1937 Hughes took of with that so modified H-1 Longwing, in plane which he almost died in in high altitude training. He was like he was and not listened to the warnings.

So he tried to take the H-1 higher and higher....and slept in...because the transportable oxygen bottle malfunctioned he shortly slept away...and found himself in a step dive thousand

feet deeper when he reawakened. So the altitude corridor for his transcontintal flight, had clearly a human border. And so he did it between 14.000 and 19.000 feet, changing altitudes

to catch best winds that would give him additional speed. Perhaps this factor lets most record flyers use only the West-East rout.

3. Range: The shortwinged variant will surely have more than 200 Miles range. Look: The longwinged version uses 280 Gallons of fuel. The shortwinged 250 Gallons.

The longwinged variant flew 2,400 Miles at 70-80 Percent engine power. If you use a slower but more efficient speed you will get surely 3,500 miles out of her. Thats is also was Mr. Wright

statet of his rebuild.

Perhaps, and this is the version I think Boeing did, Hughes only fueled up his shortwinged H-1 (THE RACER) for a 200 Miles range to keep the bird easy going.

And you know how ranges differ when throttle is pulled 50 or 100 Percent forward. The reason for taking not so much fuel with him is 1. Getting perfect airfoil angle for splipstream,

because when you are of only a percent from optimal airflow this will cost you knots. Second thing is the Mass of the aircraft. If you are heavier, you longer need to accelerate to top speed.

Look in formular one, they are struggling for 1/thousand of a second, especially in qualification. And Hughes qualified for landplane speed record.....SUCCESFULLY!

Greetings

Just took these lovely images out of the BETA TEST...

Overall surface look has been increased again

And she flies beautiful.....

Glad to hear that the release is near. This beauty seems to be the perfect plane for my planned flight around the world.

To the questions:

1. Red winged racer: I researched almost a year over the H-1, never found a story about a redwinged H-1

The TIME magazine described Hughes aircraft as red-winged in an article about his land plane speed record in 1935.

Record Into Beet Patch

Monday, Sep. 23, 1935

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...,749103,00.html

Another TIME article about his second transcontinental speed record:

Saddle Soar

Monday, Feb. 01, 1937

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...,788682,00.html

Hi MK83!

Perhaps the journalist of the 'RECORD INTO BEET PATCH' meant the 'red-winged aircraft' in a pictoresc way. The stranded H-1 was splattered over and over with the REDISH vegetable flesh.

Hughes Team too, arriving at the belly landing scene, thought, Hughes was badly hurt. But the red color camo of the red beet juice.

My knowledge of original paintings is following.

Base of the wings was Hughes company color DARK BLUE. They used it for everything representing Hughes Aircraft Company. Hughes loved those deep blue color of the stratosphere sky.

Beside this, a good contrast should be choosen for the letters and numbers, showing the registration code.

The shortwinged racer had the letters in WHITE COLOR on DARK BLUE BASE : NR-258Y.

After the longer wings where fitted onto the longrange H-1 / longwinged H-1 there was following registration in WHITE LETTERS: R-258Y.

This was used for internal testflight, where public was not present. Shortly before the takeoff to the transcontinental record, the white letters where overpainted to NX-258Y with Chrome Yellow.

When you look at the right upper wing surface, you see some shadows/color remains around the letter 'X'. These are the rest of the white letter 'R' which could not been removed completely.

The Aerosoft product features the SHORT WINGED, DARK BLUE/WHITE LETTER H-1 'NR-258Y' AND the LONG WINGED DARK BLUE/YELLOW LETTER H-1 'NX-258Y'.

I really can't wait for this one to be released, i've been waiting for that plane since my first FS experience and that was on a 386sx computer for those who knows what that means :)

Edit: it was not a 486sx but a 386sx :lol:

I really can't wait for this one to be released, i've been waiting for that plane since my first FS experience and that was on a 486sx computer for those who knows what that means :)

I do know hat that mean.

By the way I started flightsimming on a Sinclair ZX-81 back in 1984 !

You really had to have a good imagination to see that You where flying an aircraft with a resolution of 64x44 !

Wothan

• 3 weeks later...
What happened to the H-1? I forgot about her the last weeks but now it struck me that she is not released yet. What's the hold up???

No hold up Private! BETA has entered its final status with now testing the shortwinged model as the last issue. Guess some pictures will be leaked next days...

It surely would have been easier to simple copy the longwinged flight dynamics to the racer model...LOL...but no...we do it the right thing here, digging up original 1936 wind tunnel data of the

airfoils used by the aircraft. So studying this took some time, converting it to the FSX sim logic somehing more and yippie...here we are with a lots of fun waiting for the modern AVIATOR!

post-9687-1210234013_thumb.jpg

post-9687-1210234036_thumb.jpg

...here we are with a lots of fun waiting for the modern AVIATOR!

And as a beta tester on the H-1 I can tell You that a alot of fun is awaiting You ;-)

It will not just be another addon for FSX...

Flying the H-1 really means that You should start taking care of Your engine or the fun turns in to a smoketrail :-D

In 90% of all aircraft addons I know, You can firewall the throttle without any consequences - NOT so in the H-1 !

Setting speed records is not just about firewalling the throttle, but more about proper engine management.

But if treated right, it will serve Your well.

Finn

I really hope so. As long as it's not coming 'soon' (god how I hate it when FS devs say that - REXjoke anyone) I'm happily waiting. By the way, that metal look of the shots above is really great. A true work of art.

I really hope so. As long as it's not coming 'soon' (god how I hate it when FS devs say that - REXjoke anyone) I'm happily waiting. By the way, that metal look of the shots above is really great. A true work of art.

Wait, until you see it moving...

Got to say I can't wait.

So a few means more than 2 and less then 7 days :P ? Is that about right? I'm looking forward to putting the H-1 through its paces (or the other way around.)

Got to say I can't wait.

So a few means more than 2 and less then 7 days :P ? Is that about right? I'm looking forward to putting the H-1 through its paces (or the other way around.)

LOL...I cannot give a specific date...but its very VERY near. Development work is finished and BETA folks are flying the last testing rounds...

The manual will be very detailed...46 Pages now, which beside the H-1 is focusing on engine management too. But you will learn more in the final product announcement...

Did you know that Hughes flew with some reduced throttle, when he did his world speed record of 352 MPH in 1935?

Sounds great Brother. I didn't know that actually, I assumed that he went full throttle. You know it is really funny how Howard started out, and how he actually ended up. Almost like two different people.

At any rate, that will do fine. And beta testers - don't rush, take your time getting this bird just right.

(And here's a beer to any who finish early) :D

Did you know that Hughes flew with some reduced throttle, when he did his world speed record of 352 MPH in 1935?

I read that, yes. As far as I read it was because of the fear full throttle would kill the engine.

Sounds great Brother. I didn't know that actually, I assumed that he went full throttle. You know it is really funny how Howard started out, and how he actually ended up. Almost like two different people.

At any rate, that will do fine. And beta testers - don't rush, take your time getting this bird just right.

(And here's a beer to any who finish early) :D

I did a lot of researches and dig up some details, not shown in the movie 'AVIATOR'. Yes, I think they pimped the engine really up to produce more HPs, and they were all afraid they would flew them

around their ears in mids of high speed flying. I think, they didn't even knew was material fatique was in 1935. Mostly they thought, is was wrongly fabricated. So the throttle seemed to be set to

90 Percent only, running the engine around 10 inHG over the serial maximum limit. And on the last run Hughes opened throttle completely, reaching 370 MPH. The result with 352 MPH was the average

of four high speed passes, flown opposite. So 2 in one direction, 2 in another. But then right on the fastest run (Hughes did in total 7, but only 4 were selected by the observing comitee), the fuel tanks

were empty...and the rest is well known history...

What I find really nice is when people are not only interested only on the aircraft but the designers too. Hughes had been never alone able to create such a fantastic masterpiece of aviation technology.

Not forget what Dick Palmer did. He designed the aircraft from scratch with his knowledge, but Hughes had the vision to think new over old problem. Streamlining, retractable landing gear etc...

simply the right men, at right place on right time. Random. Lucky Random.

And then they needed someone who could make a physical reality out of the plane: Glenn Odekirk. When most people were using horses to come from point A to point B in midwest United States 20s

he simply built a car out of nothing. He was a really mechanic genius, you know like that Guy from the A-Team, who could built a rocket from a toothbrush.

And look what art they did. What humans are able to do. And imagine that precission in 1935. Can someone imagine what that means? Biplanes where mostly built. Monoplanes just coming. Some had even wooden and static pitch propellers.

And then the psychological situation of Hughes. I didnt had the opportunity to get insane, so I cannot talk over it. But Hughes was isolated almost his whole life. He was son of a rich family. Mother teached him at home. He only very shortly attented a University, but never made an exam. But he had talents. Many of them. I dont know how talents come into humans. They are there. Only see

Picasso, Einstein, Hawking....buts a miracle how they come alive in a human. That are forces we cannot understand now...its not only genom... And then small Howard built an motored-bicycle at 12...

Loses his parents when he is a teenager. By this he owns millions of dollars. What to do now with that? First: Making movies. The folks at hollywood dont like him. Only some outsiders like himself

are his friends and he is already married and divorsed from his first women when he meets the love of his life: Kathrin Hepburn. Short time in luck. But Hollywood is not what he awaited. He loses

much money. He wants something over. And so the story of the H-1 fits in and a lot of successes. Then the XF-11 crash which destroys much of his inner body so he must use morphium around the clock not to cry the whole day from pains. And the drugs is taking his consiousness, day for day, year for year. When he is piloting the Hercules, NEVER CALL IT A SPRUCE GOOSE! LOL, look in his

face. Its only years, but he seemed to be aged for decades. Yep...and slowly it gets silent around him...life simply isnt a straight line...and in the case of Howard Hughes personal life it was a ballistic

curve. Be no one can be a prophet. He did what he could do. Look how long he fighted to keep his imperium at life...moving to Las Vegas...being alone...every day...only with his mormon butler.

Did you know he even bought some Vegas Tv stations? He surely not sat in his rooms the whole time. Sometimes he visited night life. And when he came back after midnight, tv stations not showed

the films he liked. So he bought some of them. Crazy...but when you have the money very logical...and do you know what he most liked to watch: Icestation Zebra. But that was near the end of his

life. But perhaps that is how he saw the world: This is my team. This is the team of the competitors. The life is a fight. A endless fight. And good technology helps to survive. And surely brave americans...against the 'evil' soviets. And slowly his live came to and end. Inside an aircraft. How could it be other? Above the clouds, there is place to find calm from the worlds tides. There you

can be what you are, alone. No one other that wants something from you....OK this sounds also like something from the past. But on the end he was a gifted human being, but no god. He was a

lucky guy, just going on the edge of possible. But he had to pay to statistics finally. So Im happy that we had folks like Hughes, Palmer and Odekirks in our history. But the adventure only worked with being a team. Thats the core of the whole story for me. The H-1 standing as a historical artefact. I will not compare it directly to Michelangelos David, but when I watch images of both I feel the same:

Godlike moments in time. I hope there are still ones left for our future!