SU5/XBox upgrade failure

I have  submitted the following to MSFS-Zendesk, no reaction so far.

Post it here because its the support place for us Aerosoft-Disk-Retail-Buyers, even if the problem might be irrestpective of the delivery type.

Any input is appreciated.

T&R 

MJ

---------------------------------------

I'm stuck on the recent SU5 update, didn't have this problem over the all the ones.

Background:
MSFS on SSD, 32MB Ram, Ethernet-LAN 100MB
Upgrade on 1.18.14.0 (i.e. Hotfix) in MS-Store worked, 

after launching the sim it failes with endless loop, same situation as many others have:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/7-27-21-update-stuck-at-decompressing-asobo-flight-tutorials-straihtandlevelflight-0-1-12-fspatch/426517/9
With me its usually something like: asobo_bushtrip_balkans_0.1.49.fspatch or landing_challenge_rio_* ...
varying with each try, smelling like a your "small-file" problem.

Sometimes its stuck at 1/313, sometimes 3 - came up to 14 once, sometimes it doesn't download anything, stuck with "PLease wait..."

Tried the following (old) zendesk-advice (didn't find anything newer, why??):
https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016844080-Download-stuck-on-packages-Install-loop-Decompressing-issues

1. netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled : successfull
2. emptied community-folder of all files (directory remains)
NO EFFECT !

what I didn't do as I have no idea what you mean:
1. Navigate to the Package installation folder, delete the folder of the package currently stuck
where, in "official"? In any case , you must be kidding.

2. uncheck the Internet Protocol Version 6

3. Netlimiter setting the download speed

Please advice or create another Hotfix asap, many, many others have the same problem.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Exactly, the problem got nothing to do with whether it is a download or boxed version. As soon as it has been installed no difference between the two of them. So you have to wait for a response from MS. Aerosoft has no control over the update process.

Hi

As a Steam user I had similiar problems during a fresh installation (the SU5 upgrade was just crashing to Update so I decided to delete and full re-install MSFS). What worked for me was the following:

When the Update/Install Manager is stuck on a file, I terminate the MSFS application and go to my MSFS folder (in my case it's D:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator) and in there find the file it's stuck on. I think most of the time it was in the \Packages\Official\Steam subfolder. In the OP's example, there would be one or several files called starting with "asobo_bushtrip_balkans_0.1.49.fspatch or landing_challenge_rio_". I delete the files (folder view, newest on top and typcially the package files its trying to decompress are on top). Then restart MSFS and and it would normally download the file afresh and move on, only to get stuck on some other file in a similar way sometime later in the process, where I would repeat the same work around. This got me through a full re-install eventually.

By all means, copy the files to another folder to be sure so you can restore them if needs be, but I found that this typically was a result of the download of the file never completing correctly. Might be worth trying to see if it resolves the issues for you. it certainly helped me. I never had these problems on previous updates/re-installs, so that appears to be a new "feature" that came with the SU5 update.
Not sure if that would resolve anything for boxed users as I can only comment on the Steam edition, but would imagine that whatever is broken is possibly the same mechanism across all versions.

The netsh int tcp "trick" did not work for me at all.

I did have to use a VPN and connect through a different country as the download speeds from the MS content servers we were getting in the UK were akin to a dial-up connection. Not sure the speeds had any influence on the package corruption and I am more inclined to think its the decompression process which corrupts some files it starts working on, but I that's just a gut feeling and I have no way or proving one over the other.

Starter here:

Thanks Ryan_Ms, but your approach doesn't work for me as it would take ages, it stumbles over hundreds of files.

I'm pretty sure now they screwed up their download/decompression scheme with a fast LAN ( my ping = 8ms) 

But: not a solution so far but a zen reaction: 

they asked a lot of things, a copy of the UserCfg.opt, PING and TRACE test-run results among them - which they all got.

Lets see if it makes it into Hotfix2

Couldn't answer one question though - so thats for you AS-guys:

where is the Retail-Disk-based "launcher"?

All I could say I did a default C : \  install a year ago - but to find it  in that bizarre jungle of MSFS-directories is over my head unfortunately and a right click on the icon doesn't help...

• Deputy Sheriffs
2 hours ago, Martin J. said:

where is the Retail-Disk-based "launcher"?

Not sure what you mean with launcher. The link to click to run MSFS?

• 2 weeks later...

... got the word from Zen that my bug is "solved", this has no immediate effect of course.

Unfortunately no info with which update/hotfix I can play again -  they explicitly warn in the FAQ that its not necessarily the next one.

Lets see.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Herman, thanks for asking,

well, I was away on summer vacation - and all my regeneration was gone today in a snap:

downloaded successfully the 1.19.9.0 (after spending hours finding out how to do that - apparently only via the XBOX-app, absolutely crazy).

After starting the game finally - it hangs as before @ the second-order files-update, see attachie.

Did send a follow-up message to Zen (remember I got the "solved" message weeks ago).

I'm not overly optimistic and in the mood to give my fellow suabian countryman Jörg Neumann a good shakeup, in the unlikely event of getting a hold of him that is. 

How can such a brilliant piece of SW be flawed by such a bizarre Update policy?

Hope that the AS-team with all your direct channels, can  pull some strings and forward that mail directly to some MS-persons in charge. 

Martin, totally frustrated

Please login to display this image.

good news - I'm back to flying:

Hohenzollern Castle: check, Matterhorn: check.

Cruised over D-A-CH for a while, but didn't dare to restore my community-folder so far...

Look back in anger:

zero response from Zen, no surprise here , so over the last couple days went thru a lot of official forum entries and one thing was bullseye:

delete those files on which the hang-up occures. Took me a almost a night to do it interactively as there are many- but in the end it played out.
The underperforming Zen-support and the abysmal programming by MS (my guess its outside the scope of Asobo) speaks for itself. 
Hope it was an one-time XBox Snafu, but who knows with those people...

We would be nothing without the Community!

Tally-ho Antarctica and the Twin-Otter...

Martin

• Deputy Sheriffs

So glad to hear this is finally sorted for you. We appreciate your detailed responses and I really like how you closed: "Tally-ho Antarctica and the Twin Otter..."

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived