Installation queries

Bill Z

Good morning - I hope you can help with two questions related to MSFS as I am looking to purchase the CRJ. From other threads it appears that it makes sense to buy direct from the shop here which is fine by me.

1. How is installation achieved? Is it an executable and installed direct or is it a "license" which shows an entitlement in the MS store?

2. If I have two licensed copies of FS2020 - 1 via MS Store and 1 via Steam, am I able to install for use by both installations (NOT concurrently) or do I need to pick one and accept that's the only install it will work on?

Many thanks

• Deputy Sheriffs

First of all, both products are exactly the same.

When you buy it directly from Aerosoft you get access to a downloadable executable. In this case you and Aerosoft have total control of what/how it is installed. When you buy through the MS Store, MS installs the product encrypted on your disc and this caused after an MSFS Update problems.

Licensing: bought directly from Aerosoft, no problem to install it in the Store and Steam version. No idea how this handled when you buy through the MS Store.

Thank you very much - I'm trying to avoid making a lock-in decision which I later regret regarding the version I go with.  At the moment I'm favouring steam as it gives me access to the executable itself so I can manage compatibility settings.

Final question and then I'll go away 🙂

I'm going to install both versions on my system (against the same gamer tag) - if I fire up the CRJ installer, do I tell it where the game dir is or does it try to find it itself? If the latter then it may preclude concurrent install I guess.

• Deputy Sheriffs
27 minutes ago, Bill Z said:

then I'll go away

No need to go away ;)

27 minutes ago, Bill Z said:

if I fire up the CRJ installer, do I tell it where the game dir is or does it try to find it itself?

If your registry isnt broken, the installer finds your MSFS installation and you can install the product either to the default location (community folder) or choose your own location.

But to be honest, I have no idea what happens when you have the MS Store and Steam version of MSFS on the same machine, if possible at all.

Archived