Vote for a new CRJ soundpack

thokle

• Aerosoft

Just keep in mind we need a serious MSFS soundset, so not a set of wav files.  It's got to be done in Wwise, not legacy mode. That seems to be rare at this moment. If you want  to know how much that matters, put on a headset and start to click stuff in the CRJ. Every sounds of every button is 3d placed. That's what we need.

vor 48 Minuten, Mathijs Kok sagte:

Just keep in mind we need a serious MSFS soundset, so not a set of wav files.  It's got to be done in Wwise, not legacy mode. That seems to be rare at this moment. If you want  to know how much that matters, put on a headset and start to click stuff in the CRJ. Every sounds of every button is 3d placed. That's what we need.

BSS did an awesome job on the A32X series for XP and P3D in the last years. They recorded every single sound for buttons, bleeds, hydraulics, engines etc. with a 3D soundeffect. It shouldn't be a problem to create the files with WWise if they got decent recordings. 
Personally the default CRJ sounds prevent me from flying it regularly. Buttons, bleeds and hydraulic sounds really good, but I do not like how the engines sound. 

Now just take a look at BSS's recent work on the FF A320 IAE.

Headset on being the key indicator of the philosophy at work...  

I'd be curious to know what people's opinions are on the two main philosophies of sound design. One being modeling the sound as its heard with a headphone on and the other being to model a sound set with headphones off and the purpose of enabling sounds to compensate for the lack of tactile feelings from a simulation. 

To give the best example I can think of would be a WW2 prop plane, some sims model the engine very clearly and quite nicely over emphasize and balance certain elements to help makeup for the lack of feeling in a simulation but in actuality, being inside the cockpit at takeoff power it is just an overwhelming blanket of noise. Not quite the same problem as an airliner but its the best example I have of the creative choices that can be made.   

And I don't mean to highjack the thread, but if you are looking for a sound mod there is a good one (in my opinion) released at the moment that has a different philosophy to aerosoft's current modeling which you may prefer. Though it does have some minor issues, I prefer the over emphasis on certain items compared to the current approach but your mileage may vary. 

I would say the above examples are the two more or less most common approaches for sound design as an end result I've seen in the simulation industry technicalities aside. 

Well I for one will not put any modifications on the CRJ until people have more experience with MSFS.  We have already seen another developer's plane, and I believe the CRJ too, go through unnecessary trouble shooting because of faulty livery design.  That being said.....

I only fly in the cockpit.  It's funny but I polled over 100 pilots and it was nearly unanimous that most piloting is done from the cockpit.  I know, I was as shocked as you.  That being the case, I want to hear the sounds as if I were in the cockpit flying, so that would include headsets.  

If I ever get the desire to want to listen to loud jet engine noise, I will get Flight Line Simulator with the Baggage Handler add on by Ronco. 

• Aerosoft

The problem is that 99% of our customers judge soundsets on what they hear in the cabin of from YT videos. 

I have explained several times before, what customers expect in a soundset has very little to do with what a pilot actually hears. Pilots buy the best possible NC headsets available, and these are brilliant in getting rid of wind, fan and engine noise. A realistic soundset in 2021 is pretty much silent. But when you do that you get 15 youtube videos to show you are wrong. 

ANC Headsets are not some magic thing that makes all sounds disappear. I can quite easily hear the engines spool up on a CRJ900 when setting just taxi breakaway thrust even through my fancy expensive Bose ANC headset on seat 0A. They cut out a lot of drone, for sure, but 'pretty much silent'... nah. So your statement above is quite off the mark.

A good question that you asked the original poster but would also be a valid question to the developers, how much time have you or they spent in the flight deck with engines running through all phases of flight? Again, from the above statement I would guess it is not much.

The original poster just wants to have another option for the sounds and gets his preference questioned and somehow personal experience questioned as well for whatever reason...

2 minutes ago, CRJay said:

ANC Headsets are not some magic thing that makes all sounds disappear. I can quite easily hear the engines spool up on a CRJ900 when setting just taxi breakaway thrust even through my fancy expensive Bose ANC headset on seat 0A. They cut out a lot of drone, for sure, but 'pretty much silent'... nah. So your statement above is quite off the mark.

A good question that you asked the original poster but would also be a valid question to the developers, how much time have you or they spent in the flight deck with engines running through all phases of flight? Again, from the above statement I would guess it is not much.

The original poster just wants to have another option for the sounds and gets his preference questioned and somehow personal experience questioned as well for whatever reason...

No where the problem probably comes from ... is that he stated "Personally the default CRJ sounds prevent me from flying it regularly. Buttons, bleeds and hydraulic sounds really good, but I do not like how the engines sound. ".  That would be very easy to take in a way that suggests that the AS CRJ is so bad that someone can't use it...

If you look prior to that statement he was received with a positive comment that even included detailed information of what to request and the technology suggestions....

The follow up to then point to another thing and then say that in it's current state the CRJ is not good...  Well yeah I can see why the continuation of this conversation is not going to be turned around...

6 hours ago, Crabby said:

Well I for one will not put any modifications on the CRJ until people have more experience with MSFS.  We have already seen another developer's plane, and I believe the CRJ too, go through unnecessary trouble shooting because of faulty livery design.  That being said.....

I only fly in the cockpit.  It's funny but I polled over 100 pilots and it was nearly unanimous that most piloting is done from the cockpit.  I know, I was as shocked as you.  That being the case, I want to hear the sounds as if I were in the cockpit flying, so that would include headsets.  

If I ever get the desire to want to listen to loud jet engine noise, I will get Flight Line Simulator with the Baggage Handler add on by Ronco. 

I'm not sure how the 100 pilots and most piloting is done in the cockpit is relevant, no one is saying to model the sounds as they appear elsewhere (as far as I know, quote someone that is if you see it). I only mentioned that some people wish to hear the sounds in the cockpit with the headphones off vs the headphones on approach. Both perspectives are completely reasonable in my opinion. 

By no means am I asking Aerosoft to change their approach as that is unreasonable, but there is certainly a market through sound mods currently available and those available in the future (like the one being voted on) to better appease those that wish to have a "headset off" experience. 

6 hours ago, Shadowfrost said:

I'm not sure how the 100 pilots and most piloting is done in the cockpit is relevant, no one is saying to model the sounds as they appear elsewhere (as far as I know, quote someone that is if you see it). I only mentioned that some people wish to hear the sounds in the cockpit with the headphones off vs the headphones on approach. Both perspectives are completely reasonable in my opinion. 

By no means am I asking Aerosoft to change their approach as that is unreasonable, but there is certainly a market through sound mods currently available and those available in the future (like the one being voted on) to better appease those that wish to have a "headset off" experience. 

Satire is so lost on most today.

• Deputy Sheriffs

This has run its course, so time to close it out. See the link in the first post if you want to vote. 

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived