How to solve almost any problem quickly!

Crabby

I come into this forum every day.  I see a lot of things reported as issues with the CRJ.  99% of the reports are utter crap and caused by people who can't read a manual.  The majority of the rest are sim related and could be fixed and or understood as a sim issue by doing something miraculous.  It goes by many names.  Google and Bing are probably the two most used.  Here is how it works.  Let's say you seek an answer or solution to a problem.  You just go to www.google.com and in the little blank bar, type in your question.  After a few seconds you will see possible solutions presented to you!  It is freaking awesome!  Let's say you and a buddy are talking and he says "Gee, I wonder how far the moon is from the earth?"  If you type in "how far is the moon from the earth", without the quotes, you will get an ANSWER.  Then you can tell your buddy what the answer is and he will think you are a genius!

Over the years, I have found it works for almost anything from a recipe to figuring out how much powder to load in to a S&W 40 Cal case for a 180 grain bullet.  It will even give you directions to places!  It is amazing.  

Apparently Google connects ups to something called the World Wide Web, invented by a guy named Al Gore (at least according to him).  On the world wide web, at least a couple of hundred people (or so it seems) put up answers to stuff.  I just searched for best Italian Restaurant near me and got 5 different options!  My wife thinks I am an immortal genius.  People are amazed by how much stuff I know.  They don't realize it's the Google thing.  

I guess it is some type of secret, probably protected by the Illuminati.  Hope they don't find out I cracked their code.  The used to say that ignorance is bliss, when in actuality it is not.  In reality, if you have an opportunity to solve your ignorance and don't, well that is called stupid.  No one wants to be ignorant, much less stupid.  

Now I know some of you are going to be upset that I discovered this top secret stash of nearly unlimited knowledge.  The good thing is if you go to google and search "Caution tape and teddy bears" you will be able to create your own little safe zone free from the mean people.  In the mean time, I will fly another 4-6 hours on the CRJ, with zero issues that I can't control and have fun!

I don't deny that there are a lot of duplicate questions and misplaced anger/frustration, but there are still plenty of legitimate issues that still need to be addressed. Those make up far more than 1% of questions and reported issues. The last update took care of the biggest problems to be sure and made the CRJ usable, but there are still quite a few bugs that I'm hoping will be fixed.

• Aerosoft
1 hour ago, Aplato said:

I don't deny that there are a lot of duplicate questions and misplaced anger/frustration, but there are still plenty of legitimate issues that still need to be addressed. Those make up far more than 1% of questions and reported issues. The last update took care of the biggest problems to be sure and made the CRJ usable, but there are still quite a few bugs that I'm hoping will be fixed.

True.... but a lot of stuff simply can't be fixed at this moment. Some things because we need changes in the sim, others because we simply can't recreate the issues so we have no idea what to change to fix something we can't see.

Crabby is a mixed blessing on this forum, lol. Personally I like him because he often cuts through a lot of BS and PC in a way that I simply can't do. But I understand his point. Every two months we check how our support is most effective.  And the simple fact is that most of the questions that are asked to us, can be answered by Google. 

Now my support team gets paid to support customers, they do a kick ass job, we are running around 92% satisfaction rating. But apart from getting the correct reply, the timing matters a lot to customers. Every hour a solution is delayed causes a .5% in satisfaction rating.  As said I think my team does a great job, but we support 200+ products in 6 languages. So it is simply totally impossible to have, support for all products in all languages available 24/7.  Or better stated, we can do that, but it simply raises the price of the product. A lot. 

There are a lot of things we do to assist customers faster. If you use our helpdesk and not send a email (the result will be 100% the same as emails are fed into the ticket system), you will be offered a lot of assistance as you type in your question.  Most of what the system will offer you will be exactly the same as a support officer will send you. It is just the difference between immediate support and having to wait for a person to trigger a macro. And as we try to make our support as transparent as possible to internet search engines, asking Google your question will often give you an immediate solution. 

Of course we are ready to assist you personally, but if a problem is asked about many times a day (as most are), the reply you get is a macro. A macro we worked on to make it as easy to follow as possible. If it does not solve the issue for many customers we tweak the macro.  The macro is always better than a assistance typed in by a support officer because it is designed to assist.  For MSFS 80% of the support we do is to link to a page on https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/360001769531-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator.  That is because we got no tools to debug issues and have no acces to the servers of Microsoft. We might translate the support pages from MS, but the content is the same.

So when Crabby states that it is more effective to use Google instead of asking us what has been asked us what has been asked hundreds of times, he is simply correct. We are more than happy to assist. Of course. But the chance YOUR issue is a new one that has not been discussed dozens of times is about zero.  Again, our (my) staff gets paid to assist, but I often think I should pay Google.

To give you an example, we had 22 people asking us today about the issue where the Microsoft store tells you that the code for MSFS has been redeemed already.  Now we have a macro for that and a helpdesk page for that. You will find the same help on the Microsoft help pages. As stated we are more then happy to send you that help.

But if you do not ask us but ask Google you get the same information, immediately. Without having to wait for one of our support officer to assist you.  And again the reply will be EXACTLY the same. Not trying to make my own staff superfluous, but as said customer do not give a flying fig who helps them, they just need their issue solved.

So, Crabby has a point. Just try it and see what helps you. We do not care if your issue with our software is solved by us or some page in Albania. We just care it is solved.

18 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Some things because we need changes in the sim, others because we simply can't recreate the issues so we have no idea what to change to fix something we can't see.

18 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

So when Crabby states that it is more effective to use Google instead of asking us what has been asked us what has been asked hundreds of times, he is simply correct. We are more than happy to assist. Of course. But the chance YOUR issue is a new one that has not been discussed dozens of times is about zero.  Again, our (my) staff gets paid to assist, but I often think I should pay Google.

I don't disagree that there are a number of issues that need to be fixed in the simulator rather than with the aircraft, and sometimes it's not obvious where the fault lies, but there are a bunch of reported issues out there that seem likely to be with the CRJ. I of course understand that everything needs to be prioritized, investigated, reproduced, fixed, and then released, and it's not easy to make everybody happy. I personally am fine with being patient, and I'm glad the last update was released without trying to fix every other problem as that greatly improved the experience, but there are a bunch of valid, reproducible issues that are yet to be resolved, some that haven't even received comments.

As a developer myself, I know that no amount of documentation or other materials will prevent users from asking the same questions over and over again without checking to see if there's already an answer available, but I do think it would be quite helpful if Aerosoft maintained some kind of listing of issues and updating the status (under investigation, issue reproduced, fixed pending release, waiting on Asobo, etc.). That would eliminate some duplicates and show users that their reports are not going unrecognized. It's particularly frustrating in the rare cases where threads are closed due to no recent comments even when the issue is not resolved or even claimed to be worked on. If it's helpful, these are the ones I'm hoping to see addressed in a future update:

• Issues with DIRECT-TO screen
    There are two fairly significant issues with the DIRECT screen described in this ticket. It was acknowledged as "on our lists" nearly three months ago without any update since then.
  • Error copying wind data in FMS
    This is certainly a low-priority, almost trivial issue and was added to the bug tracker in April but there has been no movement since then. Again, not a complaint about the speed of addressing issues and I wouldn't expect this to be at the top of any lists, just saying that it's still out there.
  • Top of descent ETA gets messed up
    This thread never received a response. Another user posted a similar thread.
  • Mismatch on TOD distance/ETA
    This is potentially related to the issues above. Fortunately a fix for this one is expected for the next update. Just a small acknowledgment like that is quite helpful.
  • Transmitting on COM2 Radio
    This thread was closed without any kind of resolution or developer comment. It's possible this was done to eliminate duplicate threads, but @LesOReilly created a thread explaining exactly what needs to be done to fix this issue and those did not receive any comments.
  • 0 named waypoint inserted after DIRECT TO
    This one was acknowledged by Mathjis and I'm hopeful will be addressed soon. This is a pretty important one for those who like to fly online.
  • Zig zag lines
    This has been acknowledged by Hans as one of the trickier issues to reproduce and fix. The last update definitely helped a fair amount, but I have experienced it a couple of times since then.
  • Bad route lines on map
    This one is difficult because I do not have specific steps to reproduce, but there are definitely some scenarios where the lines on the map get messed up. I think this happens if there's ever a discontinuity in the flight plan and doesn't go away even when that gets cleaned up. I'm not 100% sure what the expected behavior is but I'm skeptical that the current is correct.
  • TOD calculation issues, TOD after TOC
    This thread never received a response despite having a reproducible scenario.
  • Multiple minimums callouts
    This was probably one of the most widely reported issues early on. It has been acknowledged but the development team has not been able to figure out how to fix this yet.
  • Fuel prediction incorrect
    There was a comment saying this would be looked into but there hasn't been anything since then. In fairness, this one is pretty recent so I wouldn't necessarily expect anything at this point, but it's easy for these to get lost as threads move down the board.
  • FMS vs. Holding Entry
    I'm not sure if this is the best thread for it as I believe there are a few centered around holds, but there are still some issues with the aircraft flying the correct entries that need to be resolved.
  • VOR tracking not working
    This hasn't personally affected me yet, but seems to be a fairly significant defect. Fortunately this has been acknowledged and confirmed as an issue so hopefully we'll get a fix for this.
  • Minor bug: MDA text overlap at high altitudes
    This should be pretty low on the priority list, but is clearly a CRJ issue and hopefully easy to fix. This did not receive a response.
  • Double-tap required to load correct fuel/load
    I don't have a thread for this, but this has been bizarre behavior that's tripped up a lot of people since the initial release. I've seen a few streamers not know that the button needs to be clicked twice to behave correctly and then complain about related issues afterwards.
  • Two tiny quality of life requests
    There is no "issue" in this thread -- that is clear from the title. I am fine if nothing can be done here or if the development team doesn't think these are worthwhile suggestions, but I do find it frustrating the way this topic was closed. A moderator made a comment saying he would see if this could be done, and then there was no further update until another moderator closed the thread due to inactivity. Perhaps this was a one-off incident, but I'd rather be able to be patient and not have to make nagging replies saying "Any update on this?" to prevent a topic from being closed.

Anyways, I intend this reply to be constructive and not a complaint -- and honestly I'm glad I have a list to check to monitor the progress of items I'd like to see fixed. I'm happy with the progress the CRJ has made since it's initial release and am hoping to see another leap forward to coincide with the release of the 900/1000 in the near future, but it's a little frustrating when some issues go ignored or others are investigated without any update. Even without promising release dates for updates, it would be nice to have some idea of which issues are being worked on, resolved, determined that they won't be touched, etc. Right now it's too easy for things to get lost and that results in either missed opportunities to make the product even better or redundant threads pointing out the same problems. To some degree that seems necessary right now to get things fixed -- and it makes sense that the issues that cause the most gripes are prioritized -- but I think that's a frustrating system for both users and the support team.

5 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Crabby is a mixed blessing on this forum, lol. Personally I like him because he often cuts through a lot of BS and PC in a way that I simply can't do. But I understand his point. Every two months we check how our support is most effective.  And the simple fact is that most of the questions that are asked to us, can be answered by Google. 

Mixed blessing! That's a winner in my book and the same thing that they say about me at church when people always talk about problems without offering a solution or willing to try another offered solution.  BTW, I have seen you cut through some BS too.  I also think that many people can't handle satire or a sense of facetiousness in today's world.  They hang on every word on the web as gospel especially if it fits their narrative.  Hope to buy you a beer here or there some day!  Then you can tell CRJay how fun I am in real life!

• Aerosoft
vor 20 Stunden , Crabby sagte:

I come into this forum every day.  I see a lot of things reported as issues with the CRJ.  99% of the reports are utter crap and caused by people who can't read a manual.  The majority of the rest are sim related and could be fixed and or understood as a sim issue by doing something miraculous.  It goes by many names.  Google and Bing are probably the two most used.  Here is how it works.  Let's say you seek an answer or solution to a problem.  You just go to www.google.com and in the little blank bar, type in your question.  After a few seconds you will see possible solutions presented to you!  It is freaking awesome!  Let's say you and a buddy are talking and he says "Gee, I wonder how far the moon is from the earth?"  If you type in "how far is the moon from the earth", without the quotes, you will get an ANSWER.  Then you can tell your buddy what the answer is and he will think you are a genius!

Over the years, I have found it works for almost anything from a recipe to figuring out how much powder to load in to a S&W 40 Cal case for a 180 grain bullet.  It will even give you directions to places!  It is amazing.  

Apparently Google connects ups to something called the World Wide Web, invented by a guy named Al Gore (at least according to him).  On the world wide web, at least a couple of hundred people (or so it seems) put up answers to stuff.  I just searched for best Italian Restaurant near me and got 5 different options!  My wife thinks I am an immortal genius.  People are amazed by how much stuff I know.  They don't realize it's the Google thing.  

I guess it is some type of secret, probably protected by the Illuminati.  Hope they don't find out I cracked their code.  The used to say that ignorance is bliss, when in actuality it is not.  In reality, if you have an opportunity to solve your ignorance and don't, well that is called stupid.  No one wants to be ignorant, much less stupid.  

Now I know some of you are going to be upset that I discovered this top secret stash of nearly unlimited knowledge.  The good thing is if you go to google and search "Caution tape and teddy bears" you will be able to create your own little safe zone free from the mean people.  In the mean time, I will fly another 4-6 hours on the CRJ, with zero issues that I can't control and have fun!

I absolutely agree with Crabby and also thank him for his great contribution to our forum.

All the information is incredibly easly available. Just take sometimes to make quick search.
Don't dwell on an issue.
We are incredibly lucky to be in 2021. We can find answer to almost every question in a few minutes.
We just need to search wisely and not jump on the first answer found.

I simply would add one more point : Use the information you get to build experience.
Process and compile the information to turn it into your own knowledge base.
And never forget to use common sense.
When you encounter a problem, stop and think.
Then deconstruct the process from the very bottom to the top.
Check every little step of it, even the most obvious ones because sometimes the problem lies where you assume there would be no problem.
Do not got to the next step until you completely check, understand (and solved if needed) the previous one.

I am personally involved in hardware support.
Hardware support is far less complex than software and system but it involves mixed technologies.
The step by step problem solving process works well for hardware issues as there are quite distinct layers or building blocks.

So, if you have a hardware related problem, start from the bottom.
Then step by step, or layer by layer, go up and I assure you that most of the time you will find the solution.

This is the reason why we are building this tutorial section : 
https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/forum/1072-tutorials/

Check the tutorials and you will realise that there is absolutely no rocket science at all.
The tutorials hardly give new informative elements.
They simply try to give methods

Thank you.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived