CRJ Landing Procedure

mschultzi

Hi, 

I am flying now at least 50 hours CRJ and have still issues to make a clean landing. I already checked several tutorials and read forums but nevertheless it looks like I do things wrong.

I fly normally an ILS approach with autopilot until 600 fts height, flaps full and gear out, at a speed around 140 knots stable.

When I switch the AP off the airplane wants to climb slightly. I trim this out and get a more or less stable glide path until 200 feets height where the airplane suddenly pitches up and flys clearly above the GS. Trimming it really heavy down brings it more or less back to the GS. At 30 feets height I put the thrust to idle...but the plane just don't want to land..flaring slightly even brings the plan back to climbing. I really need to push the yoke heavily down to get the plane landing.. It glides and glides and glides..long after the treshhold after 1/3 of the runway already gone i finally get it to the ground. This plane just continous to fly endless in idle.

I have a PPL and fly small airplanes in real world..I know about the groundeffect delaying the airplane to get down. Of course a large airliner behaves differently than a small GA airplane, but it's a complete different flying. In real world I get close to the ground put the thrust to zero, and let the plane glide out pulling the yoke to keep the nose slightly up until the plane touchs down on the main gear...

What am I doing wrong with the CRJ?

Put thrust earlier to idle?

Put the reversers earlier in?

Am I too fast?

How do  I get a clean landing on the threshold?

What is the correct procedure?

Thx

Marc

Not sure if it helps but I was having the same kind of issues, so I did a bunch of hand flight circuits, the conclusion I came to is that I found with the CRJ I need to land it flatter than I would normally with other planes in MSFS.

Check the EFB to see what your VREF speed should be. Once you are fully configured maintain VREF. Do not add 5 knots to it like many people do. If your VREF is 134, fly 134. Thrust to idle at 50ft. Begin to fare at 30ft. The flare is very minimal. Aside from that there are no other tricks. 

7 hours ago, Chaxterium said:

Check the EFB to see what your VREF speed should be. Once you are fully configured maintain VREF. Do not add 5 knots to it like many people do. If your VREF is 134, fly 134. Thrust to idle at 50ft. Begin to fare at 30ft. The flare is very minimal. Aside from that there are no other tricks. 

Looks like the devil is really in the detail.

Thx for these hints.

I'll give it a try

8 hours ago, bluemoon51 said:

Not sure if it helps but I was having the same kind of issues, so I did a bunch of hand flight circuits, the conclusion I came to is that I found with the CRJ I need to land it flatter than I would normally with other planes in MSFS.

Same from me, I was flying a huge amount of circuits, but was nevertheless never happy with my landing performance.

Additional hint:

Try not to use the flare when landing.

You've noticed that a little too much can lead to a glide or climb.

Just keep the glide angle and reduce the engines at about 30ft. Then the tail will come down on the main gear by itself. 
In MSFS, you then have to deliberately push the nose forward as well to get the nose gear on the ground.
Then use the reversers.

If you look at the CRJ from the side you will notice that the CRJ is standing there with the nose slightly slanted downwards.
This causes the rear wheels to always contact the ground first when you hit the rwy with a normal glide angle.

15 hours ago, Hoffie3000 said:

Additional hint:

Try not to use the flare when landing.

You've noticed that a little too much can lead to a glide or climb.

Just keep the glide angle and reduce the engines at about 30ft. Then the tail will come down on the main gear by itself. 
In MSFS, you then have to deliberately push the nose forward as well to get the nose gear on the ground.
Then use the reversers.

If you look at the CRJ from the side you will notice that the CRJ is standing there with the nose slightly slanted downwards.
This causes the rear wheels to always contact the ground first when you hit the rwy with a normal glide angle.

Yesterday I tested it out and it worked finally well.

No flare at all at Vref works out.

Thrust to zero at 40 feets.

After touching down immediately the reversers in.

I managed finally to make some clean landings.

This was for me totally counterintuitive as I am flying in real life. There the flare is very important to avoid the front wheels to touch first.

Also pushing the yoke down for touchdown is not done, in this case the runway is already too short and you should go around.

Most important really is to land on the main landing gear to avoid the crash with a broken front wheel.

This is not required with the CRJ, just keep it in the GS and get down to the runway without a flare.

Don't know whether the CRJ also flies like this in real live, but for the sim that's the way to do it.

thx for your help on this one.

Marc

• Developer

I can only support that due to the engine position, and its horizontal approach attitude, pulling back the engine to idle plus ground effect nearly makes a perfect flare with very minimal corrections on the yoke. Never pull reverse prior front wheel is on ground.

Archived