Single Cue FD incorrect

09tir98

The Single Cue FD seems to be indicating 1-1.5 degrees higher pitch than it should in all stages of flight, whilst the dual cue FD seems to be pretty much spot on.

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

I am not so sure.  With the single cue FD you are supposed to nestle the black portion right underneath the FD, not overlap it.  I believe they pic that is posted is correct.  In fact, I was just reading at airliners.net that many pilots with experience with both systems prefer the dual cue and say it is "more accurate".  However, the pilots that flew the single cue longer and then changed said they prefer it for certain regimens including check rides, but some of them also said the dual cue was more accurate.  Let's see what AS says about this as I like flying single cue also. 

10 hours ago, Crabby said:

I am not so sure.  With the single cue FD you are supposed to nestle the black portion right underneath the FD, not overlap it.  I believe they pic that is posted is correct.  In fact, I was just reading at airliners.net that many pilots with experience with both systems prefer the dual cue and say it is "more accurate".  However, the pilots that flew the single cue longer and then changed said they prefer it for certain regimens including check rides, but some of them also said the dual cue was more accurate.  Let's see what AS says about this as I like flying single cue also. 

But the black portion is not nestled under the FD like you describe. There is a lot of space between them and it looks like the FD is about 1.5 degrees higher than it should be.

1 hour ago, 09tir98 said:

But the black portion is not nestled under the FD like you describe. There is a lot of space between them and it looks like the FD is about 1.5 degrees higher than it should be.

yes, but I wonder if that is not the "less accurate" part that the real world pilots reported.  I don't know, which was why I said "Let's see what AS says about this".  I can tell you that I have no problems flying the single cue FD.  Of course, even with the dual cue, I constantly check with my scans to make sure that the aircraft is doing what I want it to do.  I am more anxious to get the HUD cue working, but that is a personal opinion.

Archived