Pitch attitude on final approach

Hello,

Sorry for the stupid question in advance (I am not too familiar with Airbus, I am a Boeing man), but I would like to find out if it is a normal thing for the A319 to have such a high nose attitude on final approach.

I have just flown an ILS approach with a Flaps 3 configuration (I understand you can land with Flaps 3 or Full) and on final approach, I had a nose attitude of about 5 or 6 degrees nose up. It did not look right at all.

Thanks for shedding light on this.

Regards

Just to confirm, I was flying vApp, which was about 140 kts (VLS 135). Thanks.

By the way, I have to say I quite enjoy the aircraft, good fun so far and complex enough for me.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello Captain Nav,

This depends really on many factors but definitely in a normal flight 5 degrees nose up pitch is a bit excessive.

Did you have CONF3 selected on the PERF APPR page? What was the gross weight at the time of the approach? What airport and runway was it since the glide path angle could also contribute to this?

I was flying into Gatwick, I can't remember exactly the weight, but it was definitely selected as CONF3, not FULL, since I had first selected FULL and saw it was giving a lower vApp, then changed it to CONF3.

Yeah, I tried again a CONF3 approach and landing (3 degree glideslope) on the A319, about 56.5t LDW, and still had a nose up attitude of about 6/ 6.5 degrees nose up. The Vapp suggested in the MCDU was 133, for a VLS of 128. I was maintaining 133 knots on final approach.

It does not look realistic at all....It gives me the feeling of flying a flapless approach!

Are the speeds suggested by the MCDU in the APP page too slow, maybe? Even with FULL config, it was giving me a Vapp of 130 and a VLS of 125...

FYI, on a FULL config landing, I usually get a nose up of about 2.5 degrees....

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Captain Nav,

I did some further investigation and testing and research. After all that it looks like 5-6 degrees nose up pitch with flaps 3 is fairly normal after all. It around 1.5-2 degrees higher nose up attitude than with full flaps depending on few external factors as well. So overall I would say that what you are noticing and what I was able to notice as well on my tests is pretty accurate pitch attitude on ILS approach with flaps 3.

Archived