Before purchasing, weather radar query

Raúl Aubele

Now that MSFS has stabilized its up to date weather radar and is already depicting precipitations accurately, and taking account that PMDG is going to release its NG before the end of the year with a fully functional weather radar,  is going to be added to the DA CRJ a weather radar, in an upcoming update?

Can't fly in a realistic way without a weather  radar 

I'm sure this will be corrected if I'm wrong but firstly it's not guaranteed the 737 will release with a functioning weather radar (I'm on the PMDG forums a lot and the last I heard is they're looking into it but it's not certain it will be there on release) secondly I don't think it's possible still to implement a weather radar when the aircraft is programmed in WASM/C++, when it is possible, Mathijs has said it will be implemented.

• Aerosoft
4 hours ago, Raúl Aubele said:

Now that MSFS has stabilized its up to date weather radar and is already depicting precipitations accurately, and taking account that PMDG is going to release its NG before the end of the year with a fully functional weather radar,  is going to be added to the DA CRJ a weather radar, in an upcoming update?

Can't fly in a realistic way without a weather  radar 

A weather radar is at this moment simply not possible for complex add-ons written in C++.  We can't do it and PMDG can't do it before we get the SDK tools to get the data. 

I doubt that PMDG actually guaranteed they will deliver. Robert knows exactly what we know after all.

The moment it is possible we'll add it.

I take this opportunity to thank you Mathijs, for the impeccable work that you have been doing for many years providing tireless support, to our community of virtual pilots, and for this awesome piece of art that is the Digital Aviation CRJ, with its high level of complexity and its unparalleled beauty. , as well as valuing the continuous updates you release for the product, defining you as the outstanding developers that you are!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 3:56 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

@Mathijs Kok Curious, have MS or Asobo acknowledged the need for this SDK support?  And, if so, have they given any indication of when they may have this SDK functionality?    Very difficult to fly in/around bad weather without a radar. :)    And, of course, thanks for the continued support, good communications and great products!

vor 4 Stunden , Philsimmer sagte:

@Mathijs Kok Curious, have MS or Asobo acknowledged the need for this SDK support?  And, if so, have they given any indication of when they may have this SDK functionality?    Very difficult to fly in/around bad weather without a radar. :)    And, of course, thanks for the continued support, good communications and great products!

It’s currently the 6th most wished thing on the official community wishlist (out of 48):

https://www.flightsimulator.com/july-8th-2021-development-update/

I’m not sure if this has been addressed in any of their streams, but it being only one of three items sitting on "not planned" doesn’t make it look likely…

20 minutes ago, Thorwan said:

It’s currently the 6th most wished thing on the official community wishlist (out of 48):

https://www.flightsimulator.com/july-8th-2021-development-update/

I’m not sure if this has been addressed in any of their streams, but it being only one of three items sitting on "not planned" doesn’t make it look likely…

I don't think to open up the weather system (6th on the wish list) is the same as adding support for weather radar and terrain radar for C++ aircrafts. To open up the weather system is giving 3rd party developers like Active Sky the chance to implement a new weather system to the sim. In fact I haven't seen the weather and terrain radar for the CRJ on the wishlist and I don't think it's something out there to vote for. If someone can add a new topic in the forum I will for sure vote for it, because it's long waited for.

• Deputy Sheriffs
15 hours ago, TomAce said:

If someone can add a new topic in the forum I will for sure vote for it, because it's long waited for.

No need to open a topic in this forum to vote for it:

On 6/30/2021 at 9:56 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

7 hours ago, mopperle said:

No need to open a topic in this forum to vote for it:

It could take months or even years if not prioritized by Asobo. If we, the customers, make them prioritize it may come an update before.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I just meant, no need for a topic in the Aerosoft forum. A topic in the MSFS forum asking for the necessary support in the SDK would make much more sense, as it reaches a by far bigger number of users. So feel free to open a topic in the MSFS forum.

• Aerosoft
On 7/10/2021 at 7:26 PM, TomAce said:

I don't think to open up the weather system (6th on the wish list) is the same as adding support for weather radar and terrain radar for C++ aircrafts. 

Actually I think it is. Most of the things that Asobo opens for 3rd part to read is opened to write. 

• Aerosoft
On 7/10/2021 at 2:35 PM, Philsimmer said:

We simply have no idea when this will happen. At this moment we assume most of the people in Bordeaux are focussed on the Xbox release. 

Btw, weather radar is overrated by many simmers. Most of what simmers use is sort of a God's view where you see all fronts because in P3D most did not detect the weather but displayed what the weather tool created. That's not how it works. In our P3D Airbus products we build a weather radar that works far more realistic. One front can hide another, both in the vertical as the horizontal axis and it also simulates the vagaries far better. And as we all know weather radar reflects on the rain or hail and while these are important, aircraft are far more affected by strong wind shifts etc. Most important for any weather radar is that is shows the weather that you can see in the sim.  Now I spend a lot of time trying to find dangerous conditions using weather radar in many P3D aircraft, but almost never managed to find the very bad weather the weather radar showed.  In our Airbus that would never happen as we simply display what the sim had as weather. These things are all possible but it took us close to a year to create it. And it needs a huge amount of cpu. And to be honest when we had it we found out that many weather tools claim a lot but do not actually insert weather correctly in the sim. 

So know what you wish for. I think a sort of weather radar will soon be possible. But if it will be realistic depends fully on the information we can get out of the sim.  The only test of a weather radar is to use it in the opposite way. Use it to find the worst weather.  In real avation a weather is worth its weight in gold at night. In daytime, most pilots I know will look at a cloud and decide if they want to fly into it or not. 

Thanks for your kind words btw. 

Speaking as someone who used to use Airborne Radar/Weather Radar for a living, I can tell you that this topic is FAR more complex than one might first imagine.  I also spent WAY too much time over a 7 months head to head analysis and comparison of different ESP weather engines and aircraft radars than I ever should have.  I intended to write a guide for this back then and present it during a Flight Sim Web Conference, but an early Windows 10 update flamed my system hard drive (where I stupidly had too many important things saved) and my work was lost.  Remembering this is a simulation, overall the weaher engine inputs and weather radar displays for P3D were pretty realistic overall, though I was always a fan of what Aerosoft did in the Airbus matching the real world counter part. 

The most realistic WXR I ever used in flight sim was the Leonardo Maddog for FSX, and in my opinion the Leonardo P3D Maddog WXR wasn't quite as good as the FSX version was.  Now when I say that, I'd bet that not too many flight simmers cared to learn about how PRF works and how and why it can alter what you see on the radar display, but that old FSX Maddog WXR did a great job simulating with that!

Mathijs is spot on correct, once a radar signal is reflected (often partially, depending on what generated the return, what the range is, and what the power of the WXR is and what PRF is selected) it can't return what's behind it. But there is a LOT of things that must be considered when we're talking about this, even more than alredy mentioned.

My best guess is that we'll see WXR in MSFS by the Spring, and in third party aircraft sometime after that.

Best wishes!

2 hours ago, mopperle said:

I just meant, no need for a topic in the Aerosoft forum. A topic in the MSFS forum asking for the necessary support in the SDK would make much more sense, as it reaches a by far bigger number of users. So feel free to open a topic in the MSFS forum.

Yeah, I meant in the MSFS forum so we can vote it up.

Archived