Vertical guidance for Vnav on Mfd

Just a question:

On the real CRJ during a VNAV descent the vertical guidance (FPM) appears on the MFD (top right, see pic) if you are in Vnav display mode.

There is the snowflake  and the blue  dot , but also the guidance on the Mfd.

I have never seen this guidance appear on the Mfd of the Aerosoft Crj.

Am I doing something wrong or is this not programmed. ?

Please login to display this image.

15 minutes ago, Hoffie3000 said:

Yes 🙂

All there.

?? Thats not the MFD, thats the PFD.

On the real aircraft it appears also on the upper right of the MFD (see picture above)

As far as I am aware, it is not implemented in the addon. It is definitely one of the most useful features of the entire MFD VNAV window, there is little reason to use it otherwise. And the data is available as well, since it is displayed on the FMS Direct To page. So it should not be too difficult to implement I would hope. 

21 hours ago, Guy9 said:

?? Thats not the MFD, thats the PFD.

On the real aircraft it appears also on the upper right of the MFD (see picture above)

To get that VNAV screen up on the MFD you will need to do this in the FMC.

MFD MENU soft key. Bottom row, you want to select VNAV to have that screen up.

Please login to display this image.

13 minutes ago, Matthew2312 said:

To get that VNAV screen up on the MFD you will need to do this in the FMC.

MFD MENU soft key. Bottom row, you want to select VNAV to have that screen up.

Yes, I know that perfectly well .

But the  Vertical Vnav guidance  in FPM does NOT appear on the MFD during the entire descent  as it does on the real aircraft !

53 minutes ago, Guy9 said:

Yes, I know that perfectly well .

But the  Vertical Vnav guidance  in FPM does NOT appear on the MFD during the entire descent  as it does on the real aircraft !

You're correct and I'm not sure why it doesn't display. This window is how I flew my descents in the real plane. It's very useful. 

1 hour ago, Chaxterium said:

You're correct and I'm not sure why it doesn't display. This window is how I flew my descents in the real plane. It's very useful. 

I think most, if not all, of the RW Crj pilots use the proposed rate of descent on the MFD in conjunction with the snowflake to regulate their descent.

It is easier readable then the indication on the VSI (Blue dot) and in the progress window of the MFD they have all the important information about the flight progress together in one location.

5 hours ago, Guy9 said:

I think most, if not all, of the RW Crj pilots use the proposed rate of descent on the MFD in conjunction with the snowflake to regulate their descent.

It is easier readable then the indication on the VSI (Blue dot) and in the progress window of the MFD they have all the important information about the flight progress together in one location.

I only use the snowflake personally. And I’ll take this one step further I never use the MFD VNAV page. If I had to put a number on it here I’d say far less then 10% of my colleagues use it. Probably 60% use the DIR INTC page, and another 10ish% are like me and use the snowflake. The remaining % have some, let’s call it interesting, ways to descend on an Rnav arrival (but hey it works for them). I don’t like the VNAV mfd page as it only shows you the next waypoint with a vertical restriction, potentially ignoring a much more restrictive fix further down the line. Where as the snowflake always gives me guidance based off of the most restrictive fix left on my flight plan. I set my VNAV path angle to 3.0 then at TOD I set down at a V/S based off of my GS/2 *10 + 100 (or 200 at very high GS) , eg. 440kts of gs would be 440/2 *10 +100 = 2300fpm. I then adjust this as my GS changes during the descent. Then as long as I have the bottom altitude for my next fix in the altitude selector and I am below the snowflake I know that I will never bust a vertical restriction. Only thing left to do is look at the speed restrictions and plan your deceleration. When I pass a very restrictive fix and my snowflake resets from being just above me to far above me I go into a 500-1000fpm descent until it comes back down to me (level flight if it’s going to be awhile). I could write a dissertation on my descent technique, but different techniques make this airplane enjoyable and everyone should have their own.

20 minutes ago, Matthew2312 said:

I only use the snowflake personally. And I’ll take this one step further I never use the MFD VNAV page. If I had to put a number on it here I’d say far less then 10% of my colleagues use it. Probably 60% use the DIR INTC page, and another 10ish% are like me and use the snowflake. ..................

thanks,  very interesting and informative !

• Deputy Sheriffs
2 hours ago, Matthew2312 said:

I set my VNAV path angle to 3.0 then at TOD I set down at a V/S based off of my GS/2 *10 + 100 (or 200 at very high GS) , eg. 440kts of gs would be 440/2 *10 +100 = 2300fpm. I then adjust this as my GS changes during the descent. 

That sounds way too much old school and can not be excepted from modern day pilots. ;) 

I learned to fly the CRJ in a time before advisory VNAV and non of the “old hands” ever used the MFD VNAV page when it became available. 

Love your description of the remaining % of pilots. “Interesting” is exactly the right word to use. :) 

Yeah, most of us know the rules of thumb (also, just do GS * 5 to simplify your life :P). But it does not take away the fact that the feature is missing and has been since the CRJ X.

Different operators, different training, different procedures. On our end, the screens are mostly set to MFD VNAV for PF and MFD ON for PNF. All the data you need without head down in the FMS. Part of airmanship is to use all the tools available to make your life easier. MFD VNAV is one of those tools.

6 hours ago, CRJay said:

Yeah, most of us know the rules of thumb (also, just do GS * 5 to simplify your life :P). But it does not take away the fact that the feature is missing and has been since the CRJ X.

Different operators, different training, different procedures. On our end, the screens are mostly set to MFD VNAV for PF and MFD ON for PNF. All the data you need without head down in the FMS. Part of airmanship is to use all the tools available to make your life easier. MFD VNAV is one of those tools.

It’s easier for me in my head to cut a number in half and add a zero then to multiply by 5. How people do mental math differently is interesting isn’t it .

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

That sounds way too much old school and can not be excepted from modern day pilots. ;) 

I learned to fly the CRJ in a time before advisory VNAV and non of the “old hands” ever used the MFD VNAV page when it became available. 

Love your description of the remaining % of pilots. “Interesting” is exactly the right word to use. :) 

I love my old school. Even turn the VNAV off going into outstations from time to time and use the 3/1 rule with the above mentioned mental math combined with cross checking every 3 miles to stay sharp. That really helped two years ago (I think it was 2 maybe 3?) when the ADSB glitch crapped out the entire CRJ fleets GPS and we had a few birds that went “FMS IN DR FOR 5 MINS” forcing us to go true green needles. The magic box only got off by 200 or so miles during those flights. 

15 hours ago, Matthew2312 said:

I love my old school. Even turn the VNAV off going into outstations from time to time and use the 3/1 rule with the above mentioned mental math combined with cross checking every 3 miles to stay sharp. That really helped two years ago (I think it was 2 maybe 3?) when the ADSB glitch crapped out the entire CRJ fleets GPS and we had a few birds that went “FMS IN DR FOR 5 MINS” forcing us to go true green needles. The magic box only got off by 200 or so miles during those flights. 

Yes, that is one problem with an aircraft that has AHRS rather than IRS (which can independently navigate). Depending on the AHRS model and FMS configuration, it should switch to DME/DME position updating if GPS is lost, but if that does not work, or is not configured, the FMS position (and map display) become worthless pretty quickly, and going to raw data is the only solution.

We had one of our AHRS-equipped CRJ-200s on jacks for about three hours with electric power applied while troubleshooting a gear indication issue. Of course, that put the aircraft in air mode, and with no GPS signal in the hangar, the FMS went into DR. We are located in south central New York State. After 3 hours, the FMS thought it was about 250 miles northwest of Toronto!

So aside from the sort of virtual pissing contest about flying old school ;) ...

Any input on whether the rate of descent will be added to the MFD VNAV window in this sims iteration of the CRJ? Is it on any devs list?

4 hours ago, CRJay said:

So aside from the sort of virtual pissing contest about flying old school ;) ...

Any input on whether the rate of descent will be added to the MFD VNAV window in this sims iteration of the CRJ? Is it on any devs list?

It is definitely on the “to do” list. The indication of required descent rate is shown on the caret on the VS gauge once advisory VNAV activates, so I assume whatever is driving that indication can also be shown in text form - but since I am not a developer, I can’t say how easy or difficult it may be to add it to the MFD VNAV display. 

Archived