Maintaining speed

Hi, when cruising I am not able to maintain the speed I want. If I set the throttle in TOGA the airplane keeps on accelarating until reaching overspped. If I decrease the throttle to CLB the airplane looses speed until it stalls.

I use the Logitech Extreme 3D PRO joystick but changing the thrust via the keyboard (F2 & F3) brings me the same issue. 

Any help?

2 hours ago, queso said:

Hi, when cruising I am not able to maintain the speed I want. If I set the throttle in TOGA the airplane keeps on accelarating until reaching overspped. If I decrease the throttle to CLB the airplane looses speed until it stalls.

I use the Logitech Extreme 3D PRO joystick but changing the thrust via the keyboard (F2 & F3) brings me the same issue. 

Any help?

You do realise there is no auto throttle on the CRJ, it has to be managed manually

Yes, I do realise, but I think that it is not normal that I cannot leave the throttles in a position were the aircraft does not accelereate nor decelerate all the time. 

39 minutes ago, queso said:

Yes, I do realise, but I think that it is not normal that I cannot leave the throttles in a position were the aircraft does not accelereate nor decelerate all the time. 

What is the thrust change increment of the F2 and F3 keys ?

Did you calibrate the thrust levers in the EFB? Even if you leave the thrust levers in the CLB detent that should still cause the aircraft to accelerate. You should be in MAN in cruise.

2 hours ago, queso said:

It changes from TOGA to CLB and viceversa

It does not go below CLB using the F2 and F3 keys?  They just did a 1.0.5 update like a day ago to make keyboards and gamepad throttles work again (even though the product calls for a minimum requirement being to have a Joystick with Throttle Axis/channel)..

If you can not get the throttle into Cruise then you will constantly have power issues to maintain speed....  Also you need a fine increment or decrement to do this...  So if the F2 and F3 keys are changing thrust at the 10% kind of increments then your N1 is going to be jumping above or below the place you want it to be at...  Which would mean your either speeding up or slowing down too much...

Even after you get this updated, if you think you can fly around and not touch the throttles you are living in "i really want an autothrottle" world.  Pressure changes, wind changes, aircraft weight changes, the real fat dude in aisle 4 decides he want sit in aisle 15, temperature changes, in short CHANGES to your aircraft and it's operating environment will necessitate a change in n1 and therefore a change in throttle position.  Now, I am not a real world CRJ pilot but I have to think that they basically monitor the speed so that is is close to what they need given a fuel flow (fuel flow cost money in real life).  I would bet, but not sure, that if the plane is set at M0.78 and it is holding steady at M0.80 and everything is ok, the pilots of more important stuff to attend to rather than fine tuning 0.02 mach.  If you have an aircraft with autothrottles, you will see that the automatic system is CONSTANTLY changing.  You just don't have to do the changing.  It's called "I Put My Hand On It and I Move It" or the IPMHOIIMI auto throttle and it is the most common in all of aviation.

Archived