PFPX Auto routing fails to get a proper route.

Since it is my first day of using PFPX I guess this is a noob question, I did find many people posting about this same issue but each with a different variant.

So I am trying to find a route from Tunis (DTTA) to Cairo (HECA) and the real routing is 

Please login to display this image.

However with every run I try with PFPX I get this bizarre routing

Now I fully understand that having a magic button that gets a good routing is non-existent so I need to manually intervene and fix few things myself which is fine.

So what I did was insert AUTO DIDON AUTO SONAK AUTO KUMBI to try and force PFPX to build a route closer to the one flown irl and it was as follows.

So my problem is why was PFPX unable to find a route that was close to the one flown irl on it's own or why was the route I made manually much better than any of the routes generated by PFPX.

I had the find button set to min. dist and PFPX gave me a route with 8.0% deviation however the route I manually made myself (almost the exact same route flown IRL) had a 7.0% deviation.

Any thoughts ? 

Kindly,

Riad.

The restrictions contained in the PFPX implementation of the Route Availability Document are not updated automatically but thanks to David many of them have been corrected/updated.

In this instance an entry for LM2052 at SONAK looks incorrect, also LM2027 looks to require an update.

If you search for LM2052 in the Route Restrictions editor and remove the SONAK entries and try again. Alternatively use the advanced route finder and tick the Ignore Route Restrictions box.

You might also choose to avoid Q680 although this makes only a minor difference.

Hello Stephen, 

Thanks again for your response. Indeed I do have David's 2015 RAD installed yet that was the route I was given by PFPX, so how do I know which restrictions are not in David's pack so I would need to manually delete myself ?

Also isn't the route restrictions that I would be ignoring would mean completely overlook the RAD I installed ?

Also I need to note that in my version of PFPX, HLLL is not declared as a no-fly zone, no red box and PFPX still tries to route over it.

Kindly,

Riad

If the route really does look incorrect then disable the route restrictions and try a route find again, in some cases you may find the route validates anyway.

Should that be the case are there any errors reported by PFPX pointing to the RAD. Also the Restrictions button on the menu bar may indicate what is and isn't validated in the file.

Due to the many thousands of entries it may not always be apparent which filters are been applied and this case I found that mousing over waypoint SONAK indicated a restriction LM2052.1.I to ARLOS that I then cross checked against the published RAD

Closer inspection reveals that the entry is not current.

"Also isn't the route restrictions that I would be ignoring would mean completely overlook the RAD I installed ?"

Yes, but as indicated this may be necessary step and a manual route find required. When previously accessible even IFPS may struggle to find some routes.

Okay, I will keep an eye out on that. So just to confirm if the routing seems odd I should revert to ignoring the routes restrictions and check if it is still valid or not, and manually intervene to fix the minor issues with the route right ?

Also, PFPX routes my flight over Tripoli airspace. Usually I would manually add HLLL to the airspace I want to avoid in the advanced planner but I noticed in your screenshot that PFPX has it restricted by default so I'm not sure why it's not the same here.

Kindly,

Riad.

You may find an updated manual that I produced helpful, available HERE

Via the configuration/planning menu add restricted areas which are currently permanent:

Actually I have one last question but it's a bit tricky.

So let's say I am flying a longhaul in a 777 and as I am flying typically I would be able to step climb to a higher FL, which means that now I have completely different rules and restrictions to my flight. Some airways may get restricted and some may get cleared. One thing I noticed with PFPX is that it plans my route on FL350 or FL360 without any regard to me having a step climb and plan accordingly, any thoughts ?

Kindly,

Riad.

PFPX will give you step climbs dependent upon many factors such weight, CI, winds, turbulence etc, these may not coincide with the FMC prediction and that will be the pilots choice to implement.

Here initially 330 climbing 350 and then a change of available airway levels to 360:

(FPL-ESA7015-IS
-B77L/H-SDE2E3FGHIJ3J5M1RWXYZ/LB2D1
-LEBL1420
-N0485F330 LOBAR UN725 ELSAP UN869 ZAR UZ245 CJN UN975 CCS DCT
 ELVAR DCT BEXAL/N0478F350 DCT SAMAR/M083F350 UN873
 ODEGI/M083F360 UN873 VUNOK/N0482F360 UN873 NTL UZ14 TOMAS UZ21
 VUNOX VUNO1A
-SBGR1049 SBSJ
-PBN/A1B1C1D1L1O1S2T1 NAV/RNVD1E2A1 DOF/210604 REG/ECETF
 EET/LECM0020 LPPC0110 GMMM0143 GCCC0224 GVSC0400 GOOO0503
 SBAO0628 SBRE0724 SBBS0933 RVR/75 OPR/ / / PER/C
 RALT/SBFN GCTS
-E/1210)

Yeah I know that, which is why it only shows the step climbs after computing the flight with the given weights, winds, etc... But my questions is if it implements these step climbs in the routes it generates. So if I am under FL340 over Greece then I will be flying the airway however if I step climb to FL340 or above then I can make use of their FRA. So if I did, would PFPX change the route over Greece to amount for my new FL ?

No it is not going to change the route after compute, if this reveals an altitude for FRA then try using the advanced planner and set a min alt of FL340 and compute again.

Archived