Missed ILS LFPO

Attached is a video from a flight to LFPO. This is my second flight which I recorded. The first flight produced the same which made me redo it and record.

The NAV is tuned to the correct ILS frequency. I was at 3000 at OLO when I switched to Approach mode. Maybe someone can see an error with what I was doing.

Thanks.

Please login to view this video.

Yes, you let your speed drop below the approach speed, AOA increased until the aircraft started to stall and could not maintain the glideslope.

6 minutes ago, RF pilot said:

Yes, you let your speed drop below the approach speed, AOA increased until the aircraft started to stall and could not maintain the glideslope.

Thanks!

I'm so fixated on the GS bug I must not be paying attention.

I don’t know what flap settings you were using, but based on how high the nose was pitched up, you definitely did not have enough flap deployed. At the beginning of the video, you were at 160 knots. At that speed you would need at least flaps 20, but flaps 35 would be better. 

A good flap deployment schedule that works well for me while slowing down to set up for an approach is: 

Deploy slats at 210 knots. As speed approaches 180 knots, deploy flaps 8. Deploy flaps 20 before 170 knots, and flaps 35 by 160 knots.

Many r/w approaches are designed with the expectation that a high-performance aircraft will maintain 160 knots until the outer marker (if the approach has one), or generally, about 6 to 7 miles from the runway. Real CRJ pilots may hold off on dropping the landing gear until closer to landing, but my own practice is to deploy the gear as the glideslope diamond approaches the capture point. Once past the marker, descending on the glideslope, deploy full flaps (flaps 45). This will cause the aircraft to slow down, so be ready to add engine power. I usually fly at 140 knots with flaps 45. 

With all the above flap settings, you will usually find you will need between 60 to 65 percent N1 as an engine power setting to hold the current airspeed.

All this takes practice, so don’t be concerned if everything doesn’t always work out right. In the sim (unlike the real aircraft), you can always re-do a flight if things go sour.

Archived