Credit, Where Credit is Due

I must say I have been as frustrated as anyone on these forums with regard to performance. But I just finished a flight EGBB - EINN and it was outstanding! I had my doubts with all the complaints about throttle axis', FMS issues, ILS not tracking, but I wanted to give it another go. I setup with "Ready to Start" mode, setup FMS etc. I even manually toggled the speed brake lever as well (because some have been reporting issues with the "invisible" speed brake deployment causing trim issues). I pushed back and taxied to Rwy 15, had a very smooth and stable takeoff, I engaged the AP for SPEED & HDG mode. dialed in 250 kts. The climb to Altitude (FL320 @ VS 1400) was so steady up to FL280  that I did not want to interfere with the progress, so left it alone until the climb speed dropped to VS 400. At FL280 I adjusted the throttle to cruise 0.74M, then continued on up to FL320 at VS 1600. I think I had the my most satisfying flight to date in MSFS2020. The cloud tips were reaching FL320 and from TOD to APP altitude (FL030) everything went as I would expect, Throttle input seemed flawless, APP mode captured & tracked the ILS all the way down to DH with hardly any jitters at all (I landed dead centre RWY 06). I must say,  this experience today has changed my outlook about this addon in a positive way. So, I have to give "Credit where Credit is Due".

Regards

@canadagoose Can I ask why you're climbing is VS mode? If it works for you that's great but that's not the proper way to do it. Use Speed mode. Select Speed mode, set the thrust to the climb detent and then set the speed to 250. She'll climb like like a rocket. At 10,000ft set the speed to 290 and she'll accelerate nicely and then keep climbing. Around FL280 or so press the centre of the speed knob and it will change to mach mode. Set it to 0.74 and leave it there until you get to your cruising altitude. By using speed mode you leave the thrust levers in the climb detent the entire way up. You don't ever have to adjust them. 

I highly discourage using VS mode because if you're heavier than normal or it's a really hot day then the plane can stall while trying to maintain a vertical speed that it doesn't have the capability to maintain. Using speed mode prevents that from happening.

I hope you don't mind my input. At the end of the day do whatever makes you happy. It's just some food for thought.

I normally  CLB using speed mode and I did this flight as well. I performed everything just as you would, the only difference is I used VS mode FL280 up to FL320 with gradual reduction to VS. So bottom line, I do use SPD mode  on a regular basis, just like to test things out as I am learning. Thanks again for your reply though. Keeping on topic though, the main reason for this post was to give Aerosoft a little "Credit where Credit is Due".

59 minutes ago, canadagoose said:

I normally  CLB using speed mode and I did this flight as well. I performed everything just as you would, the only difference is I used VS mode FL280 up to FL320 with gradual reduction to VS. So bottom line, I do use SPD mode  on a regular basis, just like to test things out as I am learning. 

Totally fair.

1 hour ago, canadagoose said:

Keeping on topic though, the main reason for this post was to give Aerosoft a little "Credit where Credit is Due".

As someone who has flown this plane in real life I have been absolutely blown away by the quality of this aircraft. I bought it on day one of its release and at first I balked at the price. I thought it was too expensive but I bought it anyway and thought "this better effin' be good!"

I was immediately hooked. The attention to detail is astounding. All of the systems work. Even systems that I would have completely understood if they decided not to model. The sounds, the visuals, the shadows, everything. Blown away. 

There were some hiccups of course. The ILS GS issue was a big one for me. I stopped flying it for a while because of it but since the latest release it's rock solid. I think a number of the bugs were because they were trying to push the envelope of what a MSFS Add-on can do. I appreciate that they're improving things as we go. This plane is only going to get better.

Thanks again, it is encouraging to receive positive reaction from RW pilots like yourself. I welcome and appreciate your helpful comments and tips.

Regards

Archived