MSFS does not start icon missing

Hello,

I haven't played MSFS2020 in some time and wanted to give it a go again. Unfortunately the pinned Icon is missing, the link is however still there and it gives me the option to start MSFS. However nothing happens. The icon in the start menue is still visible, but again nothing happens. I tried starting it as admin as well, no luck.

When I go into the Microsoft Store it says, that is is installed and I can hit launch, but again nothing happens. It states that the files were modified today for the last time and I checked updates do not appear in the Microsoft Store. I tried the fixes in the pinned thread including repair, but nothing seems to work. Before I now reinstall the whole thing, which was difficult when I got the DVDs in the first place when it came out I was just wondering if anybody has any other idea? The installed version is 1.16.2

P.S. when I made the screenshots, I noticed that it says that the app is of size 0 bytes. Does that give anybody an idea where the error is?

Thank you very much for your help!

Kind Regards,

Markus

Please login to display this image.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

thanks for your reply and help.

I did not uninstall the sim and as shown in the screenshot above it does show up in the installed section.

Here is the screenshot you asked for showing the "All owned" tab. I do not understand why I seem to have to separate products of Microsoft Flight Simulator listed. The standart Simulator seems to be not installed, while the Deluxe version is.

I guess I will try a complete reinstall when I have time though. 

• Administrator

Hi,

It looks indeed like something has gone wrong there. Could you try clicking "Install" on the Microsoft Flight Simulator entry and running through that install process? Once it downloads the app, it should pick up on your existing data providing that still exists, allowing you to launch the simulator again.

Hi,

when I click on install nothing happens. I will try to reinstall using the DVDs. I have to do it next week though as I am unfortunately too busy this week.

Thanks for your help.

Hi, I had the exact same problem, after much confusion scratching of heads it seems since the Xbox version came live something changed within the Microsoft store, i owned the boxed version- FIX  re install WIN10 , install boxed version of MSFS2020, first run it will take you to the store where it will proceed to install gaming services and patch the the sim after clicking the INSTALL! button , fire up MSFS 2020 it will 89GB down load to the current  latest patch .  It seems it will install to the default directories this time around and it would not install into the game drive B in my case . The app I found  would not move to B drive either ,once I had a fully working patched flight sim however I created a symbolic link for the community folder into B drive . All in all 12 hours of work . ( I purchased a 1TB 980 pro for clean install of Windows/Flight Sim as the repair on the old drive was impossible.

I hope this helps bad news I know it was the only work around. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 9:34 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

Please keep us informed!

Hi,

sorry for my late reply the last weekends were full. However the situation solved itself and I do not know how. I just wanted to try it one last time before the reinstall. I don't know why, but the symbol in the start menu looked different. So I clicked it and it wanted to install some Microsoft store repair thing. I should not have clicked it away so fast, but it took only seconds and the flight sim started. It did want to update quite a lot, but it is running like nothing ever happened.

I am happy that it works again, but I am sorry that I cannot provide a better explanation of how it got fixed so that it might help others.

Thanks for your support!!!

Markus

• Deputy Sheriffs

Anyway, thanks for the update.

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

Archived