LOC captured when not captured at all

I've noticed that LOC appears as captured (LOC in green on FMA) when in reality it´s not captured at all as you can see by the blue needles and by the position on the MFD. It should be displayed as armed on the FMA (LOC in white and to the right of the separation line).

Please login to display this image.

same for me along with the GS is showing green and captured the plane wont descend and actually started climbing while in APP mode at KPHX while being way higher than the glideslope.  I'm going to try to delete and reinstall along with deleting the "m" files to start fresh and reset everything to see if that helps.

1 hour ago, patchadams502003 said:

same for me along with the GS is showing green and captured the plane wont descend and actually started climbing while in APP mode at KPHX while being way higher than the glideslope.  I'm going to try to delete and reinstall along with deleting the "m" files to start fresh and reset everything to see if that helps.

I did a fresh install and it didn't help.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hard to tell from the picture since it doesn't show whether it's flashing or not. It's possible for the LOC capture to activate when approaching the localizer. In this case the LOC-1 symbol will flash on the PFD until it's fully captured.

3 hours ago, Secondator said:

Hard to tell from the picture since it doesn't show whether it's flashing or not. It's possible for the LOC capture to activate when approaching the localizer. In this case the LOC-1 symbol will flash on the PFD until it's fully captured.

LOC1 is indeed flashing but flashes way before it should compared to the real aircraft, and stops flashing before it is actually captured...

Same thing happens with ALTS CAP, it flashes when capturing the desired altitude but way too early thus flashing for a very long time which is not correct. 

You're in white needles (FMS Nav). You aren't supposed to be able to arm APPR mode when in white needles. What happens when you are in green needles? Does it work then?

7 minutes ago, Chaxterium said:

You're in white needles (FMS Nav). You aren't supposed to be able to arm APPR mode when in white needles. What happens when you are in green needles? Does it work then?

Arming APPR is done in both white and green needles. The 700, 900 and 1000 have the NAV to NAV function and the normal way to operate these aircraft is to be in white needles when arming APPR. The NAV to NAV function will switch to green needles when capturing. If for some reason NAV to NAV does not happen, you switch to green needles manually and arm APPR again.

The Aerosoft CRJ is doing it wrong. LOC1 starts flashing, indicating that it's capturing, when it's still in white needles. In the real aircraft that's not how it happens. LOC1 will only start flashing once NAV to NAV happens, which means that it has automatically passed to green needles. As you can see from my photo, LOC1 is in green (and flashing), yet NAV to NAV has still not happened.

Just now, Nicco54 said:

Arming APPR is done in both white and green needles. The 700, 900 and 1000 have the NAV to NAV function and the normal way to operate these aircraft is to be in white needles when arming APPR. The NAV to NAV function will switch to green needles when capturing. If for some reason NAV to NAV does not happen, you switch to green needles manually and arm APPR again.

The Aerosoft CRJ is doing it wrong. LOC1 starts flashing, indicating that it's capturing, when it's still in white needles. In the real aircraft that's not how it happens. LOC1 will only start flashing once NAV to NAV happens, which means that it has automatically passed to green needles. As you can see from my photo, LOC1 is in green (and flashing), yet NAV to NAV has still not happened.

Gotcha. I only flew the 200 which didn't do this. I'm glad Canadair/Bombardier smartened up with the 7/9/1000. Some of the decisions they made with the 200 were pretty baffling.

8 hours ago, Chaxterium said:

Gotcha. I only flew the 200 which didn't do this. I'm glad Canadair/Bombardier smartened up with the 7/9/1000. Some of the decisions they made with the 200 were pretty baffling.

I had no idea the 200 didn't have NAV to NAV, good to know. The other CRJs aren't perfect either, they've got their quirks as well, but they're solid and reliable birds that are very enjoyable to fly.

The nav-to-nav function does work (usually) in the sim version, though once in awhile (like the real aircraft) it doesn’t switch and it has to be set to green needles manually.

Thanks for the feedback regarding when the LOC1 should (or should not) flash. The description of the mode in the Collins reference material used to create the function did not specify that, but it is something that can be changed in a future update.

Unfortunately, the altitude cap problem is an MSFS limitation. Altitude capture is extremely slow when using the MSFS autopilot code - it affects the default aircraft too. Hans has tried different timing adjustments, but if it is sped up much more than it already is, the aircraft tends to blow right through the altitude and not capture at all. It starts flashing at the right time, but the last 150 feet before capture are so slow, that it appears it is flashing prematurely.

Archived