Weather radar update

mweijers

Hi,

First of all, many thanks for the great update! Now that Asobo has upgraded the weather radar in SU4 (Weather radar now displays precipitation instead of cloud coverage), I was wondering whether the CRJ weather radar will be updated as well.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Maurice

2 hours ago, mweijers said:

Hi,

First of all, many thanks for the great update! Now that Asobo has upgraded the weather radar in SU4 (Weather radar now displays precipitation instead of cloud coverage), I was wondering whether the CRJ weather radar will be updated as well.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Maurice

The aircraft in MSFS that have weather radar have gauges coded in JavaScript/HTML. The CRJ gauges are programmed in C++ using WASM, and as yet, there is no support in the MSFS SDK to access any precipitation locations in the sim.

That’s not quite what MK alludes to in the FAQ section:

At this moment we do not have access to the weather system to such a degree that a working weather radar is possible.

Since the CRJ’s radar system is actually rather a big deal, and assuming that AS is in dialogue with Asobo about these back-end features, please could AS clarify whether some form of radar will see the light of day?

As an addendum, with the spectacular real weather features and depiction within MSFS, a working terrain/weather radar is surely a must-have. 

Even default aircraft have this facility. 

• Deputy Sheriffs

Where do you see a difference between what is written in the FAQ and has been stated here?

Both clearly state that at the moment the MSFS - WASM system does not provide access to the needed data. Once there is a proper interface you can be sure Aerosoft will immediately make use of it. As clearly stated in the FAQ.

The CRJ is by the way the first aircraft within the MSFS world which is fully build on WASM. The default aircraft within MSFS are not and are therefore not restricted. Like stated above.

I’m not attacking, and I’ve not been impolite. I am a customer, I have concerns, and thus I am asking for clarification.

MK used the words “to such a degree”, which suggests some “inter modular” functionality, plus they give a glimmer of hope. 

it’s good to read that AS is proud of the aforementioned WASM coding, and hopefully this ground breaking wizardry will yield results with respect to internal data exchanges. 

So, with respect to my question, is it anticipated that radar functionality make an appearance?

I'm kind of disappointed to hear that Aerosoft/Asobo weren't working hand-in-hand with respect to getting the WX radar up and running in the CRJ. This was one thing that I was hoping to see implemented soon after the last update, especially during the summer storm season. TBH, I'm not really surprised though, considering the goofy teething problems the sim continues to go through.

I do understand well that complex aircraft cannot access weather from WASM. That's what it is for now, we liked it or not.

But technicalities aside, looking from purely end-user perspective: simple aircrafts now have reasonable weather radar. High-end CRJ does not have any.

I hope Aerosoft and Asobo can collaborate to get it done. There is hopefully enough motivation for both parties. It would suck if this technical reason is forever echoed.

• Deputy Sheriffs

MSFS is an evolving platform. Look where it has started last year in August, and where it is now. Microsoft and Asobo put tremendous efforts into improving and extending MSFS. 

Personally I have never seen anything even remotely comparable within the flight sim world. And I am in it for decades.

And to be honest I have some problems in understanding people not seeing and not recognizing this.

Things will come, for sure. But things also need time.

I fully understand that with not having a software development background complex dependencies are hard to understand. Even more hard without being able to look behind the curtain of development.

But the more logical it is to me, to just listen to the ones who have that background and who have the ability to look behind the curtain.

It is in no ones interest to keep things away from the product for a longer time than necessary.

It is in no ones interest to stall an ongoing development.

Aerosoft has been absolutely open about the technical background of the CRJ from day one. They have clearly pointed out what is in the product from day one and what will come later (either because it isn't implemented in the CRJ yet or not available in the platform yet).

So please put some trust into the ones who brought you the platform and the CRJ so far, and be patient.

Thanks, and now have a nice Sunday ;) 

I don’t understand those who take their high horses onto higher ground looking down at those who ask politely seeking answers. 
I’ve been into flight simulation since the mid-1980’s, and I’m definitely not not new to the role of customer, or, for that matter, to the demands of service delivery. 
Regarding developers; I've seen a thing or two, heard a thing or two, and experienced a thing or two. 
Seeking assurance and clarity is a natural phenomenon, part of human nature, and not something to be quashed or throttled. 
Have a good Sunday too. 

• Deputy Sheriffs

I don't think anyone has been on their high horses. Tom gave pretty honest response.

To put it simply: We at Aerosoft are not in position to discuss directly about features that Microsoft needs to work on. So unfortunately we cannot give an answer to your question and you would need to ask Microsoft about it.

Archived