Autopilot problems

NAV ALT etc can be pressed and the lights are on even when the AP is not on.  This means they are armed.  For example if you are hand flying an ILS approach, you would want to press the APPR button so that the system sends the information to the flight directors.  If you have the flight director on (and you should whether or not you are flying AP coupled or not), then you would want a vertical and horizontal mode selected.  For example HDG and ALT to hold a given alt and hdg while manually following the flight director. 

I have never tried to turn one of them off, again because I want some mode feeding data to the flight directors at all time, but maybe you have to hit the AP disconnect bar to do it.  Just remember to hit the bar again because none of the MCP modes will work with the bar down.

I will look at this on my next flight and try turning things on and off.

46 minutes ago, Crabby said:

NAV ALT etc can be pressed and the lights are on even when the AP is not on.  This means they are armed.  For example if you are hand flying an ILS approach, you would want to press the APPR button so that the system sends the information to the flight directors.  If you have the flight director on (and you should whether or not you are flying AP coupled or not), then you would want a vertical and horizontal mode selected.  For example HDG and ALT to hold a given alt and hdg while manually following the flight director. 

I have never tried to turn one of them off, again because I want some mode feeding data to the flight directors at all time, but maybe you have to hit the AP disconnect bar to do it.  Just remember to hit the bar again because none of the MCP modes will work with the bar down.

I will look at this on my next flight and try turning things on and off.

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, I know all that, have a lot of experience and a home cockpit setup.

The thing is that in a long flight (multiple legs) the lights on the buttons freeze. So the lights stay on if I press the NAV button normally they would disengage but in this situation not, it is a bug! Also the Autopilot does disengage / engage but the two green lights stay on no matter what.

If I normally press NAV or HDG or AP ENG on the buttons the two green lights will go on/ off if it disengages / engages.

It only happens after long flight, already twice now. Since I am flying a tour around the world now, after a stop and takeoff it sometimes happens.

• Deputy Sheriffs
On 5/21/2021 at 10:27 PM, Roberto0435 said:

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, I know all that, have a lot of experience and a home cockpit setup.

The thing is that in a long flight (multiple legs) the lights on the buttons freeze. So the lights stay on if I press the NAV button normally they would disengage but in this situation not, it is a bug! Also the Autopilot does disengage / engage but the two green lights stay on no matter what.

If I normally press NAV or HDG or AP ENG on the buttons the two green lights will go on/ off if it disengages / engages.

It only happens after long flight, already twice now. Since I am flying a tour around the world now, after a stop and takeoff it sometimes happens.

Could you post an example flight plan where this issue happens? Does it only happen after turnaround or also on the first leg? When it happens after a turnaround did you switch the FD OFF and ON in between the flights?

1 hour ago, Secondator said:

Could you post an example flight plan where this issue happens? Does it only happen after turnaround or also on the first leg? When it happens after a turnaround did you switch the FD OFF and ON in between the flights?

It was after a turnaround, I don't know if I switched de FD off. It should not matter should it?

On the moment on a worldtour, will see if I can recreate the events and report back

See here I recreated the problem! It is not only autopilot, I want to arm the reverser on approach. Actually they work but the switch is not moving in the simulation. The reverser message on / off show on the CAS. After that I disengage / eng autopilot as you hear and see the autopilot does disengage / engage but the button is frozen, the lights don't turn on or off.

It was not after turnaround but first flight

If you can't see the movie download here:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/fe97de331deef8ebbfdca01f65de166720210527101941/30c38adde1e4b11235b4586dde64e2b420210527101959/b0a9f7

Please login to view this video.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Ok, thanks for the video. Not really sure what is going on here and right now you seem to be the only one experiencing his issue. You seem to have pretty impressive hardware setup as well. Just wondering if it could be some interfering commands if you are using something like spad.next etc.. Have you tried how it all works if you don't have any hardware connected apart from a simple joystick and throttle?

He is not the only one. I sometimes have the same problem where buttons still work, but the animations in the cockpit don’t. But I have that in the stock Longitude and 787 as well. That’s why I don’t suspect the CRJ to be faulty but rather a MSFS bug or a mod that’s interfering. 

I just use a Logitech X52pro HOTAS as external hardware but have about 70GB of mods and liveries installed. 

After switching to the external camera a few times the problem usually disappears. But I’m not even sure if switching cameras is actually helping here or if time just resolves the knobs and buttons disfunctional behavior.   

I have had the Animations lock up when you go outside and get into the Drone Camera and then go back inside... there is a weird combination of being in a certain View and then getting back into the plane..

It has even caused me to get virtual pilots inside all of a sudden...

Archived