Hi

I am having some problems to choose a monitor for MSFS.

I had a lot of statements and it is getting very confused until now. HDR, HRR, VRR, G-Sync, G-Sync adapt, G-Sync compatible... I am getting confused with all of these. 

First, the specs and the needs: 

1. I have i9-10900K with Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 OC 24GB

2. I would like to run MSFS in a 2K resolution (2560x1440).

I would like to know if the following options are good for MSFS, and if not, why:

https://www.asus.com/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-VG27AQ1A/

https://www.asus.com/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/TUF-Gaming/TUF-Gaming-VG27AQL1A/

https://www.asus.com/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/TUF-Gaming/TUF-Gaming-VG27AQ/

https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL850-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07TD94TQF

I would like to keep it simple, like a "yes/no" answer and a short answer if the opinion is negative. I am trying to choose something and if I keep discussions for 3 months, it is impossible to buy something.  

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

With that card, go 4k and ultrawide (5120x1440).
All your choices are fine screens, but overkill on things like framerate for MSFS. More pixels are always better.

Budget also counts... Of course it is strange to speak about budget with RTX 3090... But this was not so expensive and indeed I wanted 3080 but almost nobody is sellling it... :(

I am also afraid of 4K with all the addons like yours, plus volumetric clouds, plus uncountable AI aicrafts, pushback trucks and all those fine things to add some interest to FS. Maybe I can try with 2K and after some time and with more money I could have the 2K as a second monitor and add a 4K for main monitor. What do you think?

What I suspected after reading some more answers in the last hour is that I should go to variable refresh rate range starting from 1 and not from 40. No way... all of these are just a few and really too expensive. Solutions?  

Problem one: refresh rate range

Each VRR-capable TV or monitor has a working range, the variety of refresh rates at which it can operate while using VRR. This is typically something like 40-120Hz, as in the wonderful LG CX OLED. 

This means it will not work for games that massively prioritize visual quality over frame rate, and aim for 30fps performance. However, there is a solution. 

Some VRR displays have a feature called LFC (low framerate compensation). This makes the screen refresh at double the rate of the rendered frames. So they remain synced, but the TV works twice as hard.

It’s important because while the Xbox Series X and PS5 are marketed as ‘120fps’ consoles, 30fps games will likely live on. Why? By aiming for a lower frame rate, and perhaps even sub-4K resolution, developers can use more of a console’s power for advanced ray tracing lighting, texture or shadow effects. They will likely improve immersion more than a high frame rate in slower-paced adventure games. 

Ok, it seems that I found "the problem". Is this a real problem? And if so, what is then the solution for flight simming?

Harpsi: I have a 5900x/RX6800 watercooled combo for MSFS2020 and I use a BenQ3501R (3440x1440 35") widescreen monitor that I have wall mounted. 

I agree with Mathijs Kok about a Ultra widescreen to get the use out of your MONSTER gpu.

Get a 49" Ultrawidescreen 5120 x 1440.

• 1 month later...

Hi

After thinking, rethinking, getting all the parts, having some extra bugdet, and seeing that good monitors are also in shortage like GPUs, I have now two options for a good Microsoft Flight Simulator monitor at a great discount:

- Dell Allienware AW3420DW with G-Sync native, 3440*1440, but no HDR >>> 850 euros
- LG 48A16LA 48" OLED UltraHD 4K with fixed refresh rate at 60 Hz and HDR10 (is it true?) >>> 1015 euros

My main problem is tearing, lag or stutters when MSFS is going to 20-30 fps since I like to have all types of extra addons installed like AI aircraft, volumetric clouds and so on... Going down to 25/30 fps, it seems that a G-Sync native monitor is better but I lose the HDR...

Which one to choose? I still have one day to decide... I will also use the same monitor for video editing.

My main specs are: i9-10900K, Asus RTX 3090 OC, MSI MEG Z490 ACE, RAM 32 GB 3200 CL16 and Kraken Z73.

Archived