RNP accuracy and approaches on the CRJ for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Hello, I bought the crj for msfs 2020, and I flew an RNP approach to nantes (lfrs) runway 21. I programed the approach into the fms before takeoff but I didn't see any vertical guidance (like the glideslope on an ILS approach). I know that on modern aircraft, there is a vertical guidance for RNP approaches. I saw vertical guidance during descent from the cruising altitude to the FAF (Final Approach Fix) but it was disappeared when I started the approach.

In addition to that, I wanted to ask if there is any way to see the RNP accuracy of the aircraft.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Oren Ghelerter said:

OK thank you for the help. Do you know where you could find which aircrafts are capable of which approaches?

I don't think it works that way... More like you need to search on specific aircraft to find it they are approved for RNP....  You can still do the RNAV Approaches.  Just don't do an RNP ...

3 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

Since the real CRJ is not capable or authorized to do RNP approaches, those approaches will not even appear on the FMS ARR page at airports that have them in the real aircraft. There is no easy way to filter them out of the Nav database in the sim without running the risk of accidentally suppressing regular RNAV approaches that the CRJ can fly - so basically, you will see every available approach at every airport.

The best advice is to use current charts, and if you see a particular approach marked RNP then “proceed with caution”. Either avoid selecting the approach in the sim, or if you do load it, be aware that the aircraft will likely not fly it correctly. It may track the horizontal profile - but it definitely will not automatically descend on the vertical profile the way an RNP-capable aircraft will.

I am curious on this one....  For those of us that purchase Navigraph subs....  Would it be possible to request them to add identifiers for RNP vs Non RNP RNAV into the Data sets to enable a parsing of this?

51 minutes ago, LesOReilly said:

I am curious on this one....  For those of us that purchase Navigraph subs....  Would it be possible to request them to add identifiers for RNP vs Non RNP RNAV into the Data sets to enable a parsing of this?

If it is not marked that way in the original source files from Jeppesen, it would probably not be possible. The FMS expects the nav data to be in a specific format, and any changes could potentially cause adverse side effects. Also Aerosoft would likely get complaints that the approaches are missing. 

19 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Indeed, trying to get the datasets used in real aircraft (as offered by Navigraph and NavDataPro) changed for use by simmers is totally outside the realm of probability. 

According to the Navigraph developer documentation, it seems they can easily provide data in whatever format is needed for a particular project. Assuming their internal data has a flag the identifies an approach as RNP (which seems likely), it should theoretically be pretty simple for them to pass that along in whatever format makes works for Aerosoft which could then be used to filter out those approaches. And then if that flag is missing (in the case of non-Navigraph data), it could just default to displaying the RNP approaches as is currently the case.

Q5: Which data formats can Navigraph provide?
We can parse the aeronautical data into any format you like. We tend to work with text files, binary files, and relational databases. The structure of those files can be anything you like. Please note that you will save a lot of time if you have a well-documented format to present to us; or if you prefer, have a well-described format that you want to build upon.

Hmm...  Well the Dataset I buy from Jeppesen for our GNS-480 does not come with RNP Approaches as it is not capable of RNP approaches...

Maybe my query is "incorrect"?....  I dropped a question at Navigraph to see if they could offer the ability to "filter out" the RNP approaches with the FMS installer/supplied data.  So maybe that will be a better option for them to allow the user to include or not include RNP when doing an update...

Archived