Strange, idle increase from 20% to 45% when switching anti-Ice ON

Hi all

Very happy with the CRJ 700 flying on VATSIM.

As controller I have the Thrustmaster TCA Airbus. Calibrated including the reversers with the inbuilt calibration page in the CRJ tablet; works very good.

When I switch on the two engines, N1 goes to about 20% idle, very good.

Then I switch on the Anti-ice ON allready on ground, the engines N1 goes up to 45% N1. Switching Anti-ice OFF returns to 20% N1.

Is this normal or schould I only put Anti-Ice ON during flight?

Thanks

Peter

For what I know, the N1 should not be linked to whether or not anti ice ist s enabled.

But i think anti ice is switched on during takeoff (affects perfomance calculations) under certain icing conditions, otherwise is kept off while not in flight

The attached table shows the correct usage of the anti-ice system.

As for the engine RPM: In flight and only when selecting WING A/I ON the engine idle RPM is raised automatically by the FADEC to ensure that the airpressure in the pneumatic duct is sufficient for effective wing anti-icing. This results in a considerable increase of idle thrust. On ground, the selection of COWL A/I and/or WING A/I has no influence on engine RPM. Unfortunately, this is not modeled correctly.

COWL              ON                                                                                                  OFF

On ground     Temp- <= 10°C                                                             If not required

AND     visible moisture                                               OR

OR        contaminated surface                                     Entering parking stand

In flight           In icing conditions                                                        If not required

OR

ICE message

WING                ON                                                                                                    OFF

On ground     Temp- <= 5°C                                                                 If not required

[AND     visible moisture OR contaminated runway]   OR

AND        for takeoff only                                                After landing (leaving the runway)

In flight           [In icing conditions AND IAS < 230 KIAS]                    If not required

OR

ICE message

Edit: Copyright reasons - sorry :)

Archived