CRJ switches

mjchernis

Using the most recent marketplace version of the CRJ and generally love it.   But, having all kinds of trouble with some of the switches.   Sometimes, I'll toggle a  switch in one direction but can't seem to move it back.   I try zooming and different camera views and the mouse cursor shows focus over the switch but it won't operate the switch.   Most recently happened with the Panel Light Test switch and needed to exit the flight because I could not turn it off.    This is most recent event but it happens with others. The interface is not frozen but that particular switch won't move. 

Have others seen this?

To keep it short: use the scrollwheel to switch switches with three states. Scrollwheel up for upper position and scrollwheel down to get back to middle position or the down position. 

1 hour ago, Puuhbear said:

To keep it short: use the scrollwheel to switch switches with three states. Scrollwheel up for upper position and scrollwheel down to get back to middle position or the down position. 

Thanks much ..will give it a try when I get home for sure.     Still, there is a randomness to it that makes me think it is not just that I can/should use the scroll wheel.    Most of the time I can move them with a left click.   Still if the wheel is workaround -- I'm in.

• Deputy Sheriffs

The wheel isn't a workaround, it's the primary method. Do take a look at the post linked by FlyByWire128.

Understood and appreciate the help---works!     So, folks unbind the wheel from the cockpit camera zoom function?    Otherwise, when you use the wheel to move the switch, the cockpit zooms in / out.  

That linked post sounds a bit strange to me. Default aircraft and mods like fbw a320 use a left button mouse click with arrows showing the direction of the button movement depending on where I place the pointer. CRJ is the only aircraft where I must use a mouse wheel on three state buttons as the left click works only on two state buttons and no direction arrows show up. So if that mouse wheel method is the primary method then why is that? Doesn't SDK allow the same button operations as in default aircraft?

Agreed!   I'm coming from the FBW A320 as well and find the CRJ convention cool but not intuitive because the left click still moves the switch in one direction.

Otherwise, nice plane.  

2 hours ago, mhron said:

That linked post sounds a bit strange to me. Default aircraft and mods like fbw a320 use a left button mouse click with arrows showing the direction of the button movement depending on where I place the pointer. CRJ is the only aircraft where I must use a mouse wheel on three state buttons as the left click works only on two state buttons and no direction arrows show up. So if that mouse wheel method is the primary method then why is that? Doesn't SDK allow the same button operations as in default aircraft?

The default aircraft use a different programming language than the CRJ, which is coded in WASM. Making three-way switches work with up/down arrow prompts is not easily done at this time in a WASM project.

Speaking strictly for myself, I much prefer using the mouse wheel for moving switches even in aircraft that support other ways of doing it. It is my preferred method even in P3D and X-Plane, and has been for years. I find it much faster and more intuitive. Having to hover near a switch with the mouse pointer and wait for a directional arrow  to appear seems awkward, and can be difficult in turbulence.

Same here, furthermore, if your mousewheel has a recognizable feedback on the mousewheel, it is even very convenient for switches like altitude or V/S, as you can basically operate them with counting the "clicks" of your mousewheel. Happy with this approach, plz. do not change it.

What can be convenient for some can be less convenient for others. I would like to see the possibility to have both ways of operating the buttons in CRJ but I can live with that mouse wheel method even though I prefer the "default" way.

8 hours ago, Querer said:

Same here, furthermore, if your mousewheel has a recognizable feedback on the mousewheel, it is even very convenient for switches like altitude or V/S, as you can basically operate them with counting the "clicks" of your mousewheel. Happy with this approach, plz. do not change it.

But the discussion was not about altitude or v/s knobs or buttons (they are not switches, anyway). It was about operating three state switches. The default and mod aircraft allow operating the switches with left mouse clicks and a mouse wheel while CRJ three position switches can be operated with a mouse wheel only. So nobody was asking for a change. Just adding a feature that is available for other aircraft in MSFS. I also find operating rotating knobs with a mouse wheel as a better method. Not the switches though.

Is there any tip to switch-on the fuel panel at the back at first try? I have to try 10 times, move the camera angle a bit to switch it on and it looks like when it works it's more down to luck than skillset.

On 5/13/2021 at 4:21 PM, Quenteagle said:

Is there any tip to switch-on the fuel panel at the back at first try? I have to try 10 times, move the camera angle a bit to switch it on and it looks like when it works it's more down to luck than skillset.

Yes, the same problem here. A difficult switch and I usually open/close the guard a couple of times before I manage to hit the switch.

On 5/13/2021 at 10:21 AM, Quenteagle said:

1 hour ago, mhron said:

Yes, the same problem here. A difficult switch and I usually open/close the guard a couple of times before I manage to hit the switch.

Move the camera in the cockpit using the arrow keys, so you’re looking at the panel.

Get more comfortable with slewing/moving the camera. Of course it’s impractical to use the fuel panel from the left seat; that’s like trying to change thermostat from the couch without getting up.

• Deputy Sheriffs

This has gotten off topic, as the OP's question was about switches, not not the fueling panel. If someone needs help with that, please open a separate thread. As amahran notes, moving the view so you're looking at it squarely helps.

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived