Jump to content

glide slope captured but aircraft does not descend


Recommended Posts

after capturing the glide scope the aircraft fails to descend and maintains the same altitude, need to disconnect the auto pilot and land manually,followed all the steps mentioned , yet the same results.     

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also verify that you are on the "green" needles.  I don't think that the plane will fly the ILS if the nav source is on FMS.  I could be wrong.  Frankly, when I was flying the P3D version early on, I found it was easy with all the workload during an approach to forget to switch the nav source to Nav1 (VOR1 or LOC1 will be indicated depending on what is tuned.  I believe, but am not sure, that even though the localizer is shown as active while FMS nav, it will not fly the approach.  I will try this on my next approach to verify unless I see something here before.  Anyhow, MY procedure is to switch from FMS navigation to HDG when the localizer becomes active.  Once in HDG mode I switch the NAV source to NAV1 and make sure that the LOC is displayed. Note, you will normally see the LOC active before the GS is visible.  I then fly the rest of the route in HDG, intercept the LOC and make sure I am at altitude to intercept the glide.  That procedure has yet to fail me in MSFS. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Crabby said:

I would also verify that you are on the "green" needles.  I don't think that the plane will fly the ILS if the nav source is on FMS.  I could be wrong.  Frankly, when I was flying the P3D version early on, I found it was easy with all the workload during an approach to forget to switch the nav source to Nav1 (VOR1 or LOC1 will be indicated depending on what is tuned.  I believe, but am not sure, that even though the localizer is shown as active while FMS nav, it will not fly the approach.  I will try this on my next approach to verify unless I see something here before.  Anyhow, MY procedure is to switch from FMS navigation to HDG when the localizer becomes active.  Once in HDG mode I switch the NAV source to NAV1 and make sure that the LOC is displayed. Note, you will normally see the LOC active before the GS is visible.  I then fly the rest of the route in HDG, intercept the LOC and make sure I am at altitude to intercept the glide.  That procedure has yet to fail me in MSFS. 

 

Yes, I made the same mistake in my first few CRJ flights. The GPS will keep you on the correct lateral track but then by the time I realized that APPR was never going to do anything it was too late to switch the nav source. Since then I've been doing the same by switching to heading mode temporarily while I switch over and that's served me well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Or he selected an RNAV approach instead of an ILS approach.

With the CRJ, the pilot must perform the descent manually. Only the lateral course is flown by the AP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Root Admin
18 minutes ago, Hoffie3000 said:

Or he selected an RNAV approach instead of an ILS approach.

With the CRJ, the pilot must perform the descent manually. Only the lateral course is flown by the AP.

 

Well lets assume the customer used the product right.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

ILS-approach is no problem at all and it doesn't matter using the FMS or NAV1-mode. Important is to set the right frequency (you have to do it manually; it's not automatically like in the airbus) and the right speed to allow the airplane to sink. I intercept the glideslope with about 180 kts in most cases and that fits very well. But soon after (nearly immediately) I have to slow down the thrust levers, otherwise the plane starts sinking too late and it will stay above the glideslope.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Der Merowinger said:

ILS-approach is no problem at all and it doesn't matter using the FMS or NAV1-mode. Important is to set the right frequency (you have to do it manually; it's not automatically like in the airbus) and the right speed to allow the airplane to sink. I intercept the glideslope with about 180 kts in most cases and that fits very well. But soon after (nearly immediately) I have to slow down the thrust levers, otherwise the plane starts sinking too late and it will stay above the glideslope.

Actually if you select an ILS approach in the DEP/ARR page, then the radio will tune the selected ILS automatically.  This surprised me with the MSFS version as I don't think it happened in the P3D.  I do set the frequency in the standby radio just so I am aware of when the ILS is tuned and to make sure my planning and charts match up to what I am wanting to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really confusing posts here ;) 

 

I never had to switch the NAV source to capture LOC and GS on an ILS approach. It stays in FMS and is captured automatically. No need to switch to LOC. 
 

Also I had to manually enter the LOC frequency only once. That was after a change of approach close to the airport. I do check the frequency on the arrival data page in the FMS (it’s on the Index page) after entering the approach to double check it. But so far it was always accurate and is dialed in automatically during the approach. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Puuhbear said:

Really confusing posts here ;) 

 

I never had to switch the NAV source to capture LOC and GS on an ILS approach. It stays in FMS and is captured automatically. No need to switch to LOC. 
 

Also I had to manually enter the LOC frequency only once. That was after a change of approach close to the airport. I do check the frequency on the arrival data page in the FMS (it’s on the Index page) after entering the approach to double check it. But so far it was always accurate and is dialed in automatically during the approach. 

 

That is interesting and I'd really like to know what the correct behavior is. I know I've failed to capture the glideslope at least without switching to LOC, but it's possible that's just because of the well-known bugs the CRJ has with the glideslope. The tutorial videos I've watched have switched over to LOC which I've been following and had good results with, but I'm curious to know if that's actually necessary.

 

Also, like you I've only had to manually enter an ILS frequency on a couple of occasions, though I'm not sure what conditions triggered it. Once I definitely switched approaches during my descent so that could well be it. That would be nice to figure out so we can get it fixed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldn't be too confusing.  In my case I stated that some of MY pilot behavior is a hold over from the P3D version.  I set the ILS freq on STANDBY so I have a visual cue when the frequency is auto-tuned (the STANDBY and ACTIVE will match).  I have not attempted (but getting ready to do so on this flight) flying the ILS with the source in FMS.  I will see how that goes.  My memory tells me that I do not get a glide slope indication on the HUD or the PFD when in FMS mode, but could be wrong and I am about to verify which it is.

 

One thing that I am sure has never happened with me is having the plane turn away from the loc

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well ILS captured at LEBL no problems. I stayed in FMS source the whole time and the ILS frequency tuned automatically.   I will still switch the nav source in the future as that way the needle in the HUD lines up correctly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the advise , i followed them all ,but result is same,

ils frequency is correct, aircrat intercepts the localiser, i see the green dot of glide slope, i have tuned Nav to loc / gs,

landing speed is correct at vref, 

app is on in autopilot,

need to manually fly to land as aircraft does not respond to GS

just wanted to check if i am missing some settings

viking. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im still confused. 
 

vor 22 Minuten, VIKING sagte:

ils frequency is correct, aircrat intercepts the localiser, i see the green dot of glide slope, i have tuned Nav to loc / gs,

landing speed is correct at vref, 

app is on in autopilot,

need to manually fly to land as aircraft does not respond to GS


There is no need to set the NAV source to LOC. 
 

You never answered if your PFD is actually showing GS in green (captured). And by that I don’t mean the green diamond but the indication of the state of the AP. It should indicate LOC and GS in green letters on the left side. If they are white on the right side they are armed but not yet captured. 
 

You also never stated if you are on the correct altitude when trying to capture the glide slope. You should always capture the GS from below. The green diamond should be above your altitude when you push the APR button. When you continue to stay on that altitude the diamond comes down the closer you get to the airport. When the diamond is at your altitude it will be captured and take you down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for all the advise ,it was a small step i missed that is after setting nav to loc  i did not press the circular  button to make the change ,once i did this its all working fine,so just changing the nav input to loc does not activate the autopilot to follow GS

viking 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2021 at 4:10 PM, Puuhbear said:

Im still confused. 
 


There is no need to set the NAV source to LOC. 
 

You never answered if your PFD is actually showing GS in green (captured). And by that I don’t mean the green diamond but the indication of the state of the AP. It should indicate LOC and GS in green letters on the left side. If they are white on the right side they are armed but not yet captured. 
 

You also never stated if you are on the correct altitude when trying to capture the glide slope. You should always capture the GS from below. The green diamond should be above your altitude when you push the APR button. When you continue to stay on that altitude the diamond comes down the closer you get to the airport. When the diamond is at your altitude it will be captured and take you down. 

 

i use navigraph FMS charts for landing, its gives the precise altitude one needs to be at , been flying various aircrafts for 20 years now, so at times get a bit over confident and miss the finer points, thanks for the advise,  yes the aircract does not follow the guide slope only because i did not press the circular button to enable autopilot to accept the loc mode , doing that corrected it all,

viking

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...