CRJ5 Won't Hold a Hold or Altitude

Evening all,

I've owned the FS2020 CRJ for a few weeks and overall I'm very impressed. Some minor flaws thus far such as autopilot flies low on the glideslope. However tonight my first major flaw ( maybe ) was inbound into Innsbruck on Vatsim. I was instructed to hold at Tulsi, 180* inbound right turn. I plugged all this into the FMS and verified - unfortunately when I arrived at Tulsi the aircraft started a long roll to the left even though the HOLD page showed a right turn instruction. I entered the hold at 180knots. Same story at RTT VOR, aircraft would not follow instructed hold. 

Additionally, on the step descent down into Innsbruck the aircraft could not keep Alt Hold and would always enter a +-1000ft vertical speed when entering a turn. All manoeuvres at this stage were being flown under 200knots. 

I'm not sure if it's connected but during some turns in the cruise (calm) I noticed the cockpit seemed to be shaking. Minor, but noticeable.

Anyone else experienced the above? 

Yes it seems to be a problem I had it happen to me three times over the weekend and other have reported it too, people seem to think its some kind of phantom spoiler deployment.

8 hours ago, LesOReilly said:

Its not a red herring... It is one of the causes for those that do have this mapped.  WU4 induced this... it's a coming out of the ESC menu..

Next there is the Icing issue... And that one is also hard to predict since it happens in situations where it should not.  they have also stated that even when the setting that is only to apply visual effects it was still adding weight....

this might help you

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 4:09 PM, HypoxicWaiter said:

Additionally, on the step descent down into Innsbruck the aircraft could not keep Alt Hold and would always enter a +-1000ft vertical speed when entering a turn. All manoeuvres at this stage were being flown under 200knots.

I've been noticing that apart from the holds, if I attempt to maintain a low altitude (3000 ft for example) using the altitude pre-select, below 160-170 knots or so, the CRJ700 won't hold the altitude.  If I increase the throttle a bit the altitude will go up and if I decrease the throttle a bit, especially noticeable below 160 knots, the plane will begin to descend.  This is not icing, spoiler, nor ESC issue. 

Is this a known bug or expected behavior, or am I doing something wrong?

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

I've been noticing that apart from the holds, if I attempt to maintain a low altitude (3000 ft for example) using the altitude pre-select, below 160-170 knots or so, the CRJ700 won't hold the altitude.  If I increase the throttle a bit the altitude will go up and if I decrease the throttle a bit, especially noticeable below 160 knots, the plane will begin to descend.  This is not icing, spoiler, nor ESC issue. 

Is this a known bug or expected behavior, or am I doing something wrong?

Are you using flaps? If you are flying level at 160 knots you need to have at least flaps 20 deployed at a minimum, or even flaps 30 if the aircraft is heavily loaded. Without flaps at that airspeed, the CRJ would have a very nose-high pitch which would make holding altitude difficult.

Yes, flaps 20 and I haven't noticed a nose-high pitch but perhaps I will try with flaps 30 if you are not experiencing this.  Full passenger load, maybe that is the issue.  Thank you.

Archived