Flaring the CRJ - Honeycomb Alpha

Hello All. I have been flying the CRJ lately and noticed that when landing, the aircraft tends to automatically flare as a result of ground effect perhaps. In either case I usually have to push forward on the yoke to keep the descent rate and flare by releasing forward pressure. This not only completely wrong, but just awkward and not natural. Is there anyone that flies the Aerosoft CRJ with the honeycomb yoke that has suggestions on how to remedy this? I would very much like to actually flare the airplane and not fight its float all the way down from 30ft. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, HornetAircraft said:

Hello All. I have been flying the CRJ lately and noticed that when landing, the aircraft tends to automatically flare as a result of ground effect perhaps. In either case I usually have to push forward on the yoke to keep the descent rate and flare by releasing forward pressure. This not only completely wrong, but just awkward and not natural. Is there anyone that flies the Aerosoft CRJ with the honeycomb yoke that has suggestions on how to remedy this? I would very much like to actually flare the airplane and not fight its float all the way down from 30ft. 

Thanks. 

FS2020 has an unrealistic physics model in almost anything... With that being said... Make sure your trim is set correctly for landing... 

• Developer

The flare behavior of the CRJ is probably different from what you are used to. Reduce the engine power on time to fly over the threshold with Vref as calculated by the EFB. Trim to fly with neutral yoke and do not use reverse until the front gear is on ground. 

I'll have to look at some real world videos to confirm, but memory says the CRJ is a bit nose down and that would alter the "site picture" during flare I would think.  I have the best results with the HC when I am in trim, of course, and just slightly nose high over the threshold using slight back pressure to arrest the descent. 

39 minutes ago, Crabby said:

I'll have to look at some real world videos to confirm, but memory says the CRJ is a bit nose down and that would alter the "site picture" during flare I would think.  I have the best results with the HC when I am in trim, of course, and just slightly nose high over the threshold using slight back pressure to arrest the descent. 

The 200 is nose down due to the lack of slats, the 700/900 come in with a very slight pitch up. There are several different ways people land it, the only time you need a real pronounced flare in the real jet is when people pull power at 50ft. I pull power at 15-20 feet in the 700 and 10-15 feet in the 900. With that I have almost no flare at all (talking half a degree to a degree from where the approach deck angle was). The ground effect really catches the jet quite nicely.

• 1 month later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

No response in over a month.

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived