NavData Update for FS2020; what does this mean for the CRJ FMS?

MSFS is my first foray into the world of flight simming as an adult, so while I've been trying to soak up all the info I can as I go along, there's still a mountain I don't know.  I'd like to learn how to do it "right," despite likely never setting foot in a real cockpit, and even if I do saying "well I've done it in MSFS" would probably get me laughed right back out of it.

That said, I'm curious what the recent NavData update for MSFS means for the CRJ FMS.  I know the CRJ has a nav database loaded; is it the AIRAC database, or some other type of database?  If it's the AIRAC, will the CRJ pull the new database from MSFS and load that into the FMS, or is that one of the things you'd need a subscription service like Aerosoft's NavDataPro for?

EDIT: and if it won't use the MSFS database and requires external updates like NavDataPro, what does it mean to have the updated one in MSFS and the stock loaded into the CRJ?

Hey Joe

The CRJ came with a current AIRAC at release. However, meanwhile its outdated. MSFS NavData (by Navblue) is separate to the CRJ Navdata. If you want to update the CRJ AIRAC, you have two options:

1. Aerosoft Navdata 

2. Navigraph Navdata

both are optionally available with an app that also provides current charts of airports, SID/STARs and enroute etc.

Having tried both, i have to say that Navigraph is the more popular and feature-rich option.

Id recommend a subscription for both, the AIRAC and charts. It also comes with an app that lets you track your flight and overlay the charts. So you always know where you are. Its very handy, especially when taxiing at big airports and it helps when you can visually see the procedures.

• Upvote 1

Hi Sandro,

Thanks for the reply!  That's what I figured the answer would be, as I recall reading something in the CRJ documentation about needing to update the FMS databases.  I appreciate the info and the recommendation; I've also heard of the Navigraph one but the name escaped me as I wrote this up.

What are the implications/effects of running with mismatched AIRAC databases between the sim and the CRJ?  I'm not opposed to paying for a subscription for the databse updates and charts, but with how much I still need to learn about the CRJ and IFR flying in general, I will probably be spending most of my MSFS time playing on the ground or simply flying direct until I can get more downtime for serious learning and study.  I would imagine it wouldn't affect direct flying, but if I wanted to dabble in IFR before updating, what issues would arise (especially since I'd probably be planning in MSFS instead of a third party tool)?

It will not affect you at all, as long as you dont fly in a Networl like VATSIM. If you will join vatsim one day, current chats and navdata is essential, as in the real world. :)

24 minutes ago, Joe Markowski said:

Understood.  I wasn't sure what sorts of complications would arise with flight planning, etc.  Thank you for your help!

I would say "don't use the MSFS planning at all".  Sim Brief is an online tool that is free (recently acquired by Navigraph) and would give you what you need for "high end planning"...  Plus it's not like the in sim ATC is that great anyway....

If you are going to use the in sim ATC then when you select IFR and "High Airways" as the CRJ goes up over 18,000..   just make sure to pick the Departure and Arrivals based on what it is showing so that you can write down all of the waypoints and Dep/Arr that will match the in sim ATC.  Then you just manually enter them....  Oh and as an example...  Going YOW to YTZ at some point last year the Arrival changed from the ilixu7 to the ilixu8.... but I really can't find what was changed... it's something.. but so small that if I had an older SIM database (like p3D and the RealtyXP GTN750) if I selected the ilixu7 it will be close enough....

All the fun is getting the CDU/FMS all setup and seeing the route work out :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Exactly as @LesOReilly already said. If you want to get in the "Real as it gets" side of simulation, SimBrief (free, just needs an account) is the way to go.
It will create you a realworld-valid flightplan. Flightplanning is a big part of this "as real as it gets" approach and somehow, i myself, like it very much, its part of the fun, including programming the FMC accordingly.

However: SimBriefs AIRAC that is available for free is outdated, you`ll need a Navigraph-Subscription to unlock the current AIRAC for SimBrief flightplanning. But you can leave that out for the start, you can use the older AIRAC, it should not lead to too many problems, however, it COULD be a problem at some point, if a departure or arrival procedure (SID= Standard Instrument Departure / STAR=Standard Arrival Route) or a waypoint is not existing anymore in the Navdata of the CRJ but still present in the SimBrief flightplan based on the older AIRAC (NavData).
But this is rather rare, AIRACS dont change dramatically in most cases.

As suggested: leave the MSFS flightplanner alone, start using SimBrief, its the harder way, but the only way you will learn how all this works.
Also, the MSFS ATC isnt great, id recommend to leave the ATC alone and just fly your route including departure and arrival procedures as planned and ignore ATC completely.

If you have any questions, just ask, i will happily try to help. Im not a pro at all but meanwhile i understand the CRJ pretty well and i always use SimBrief and Navigraph to plan my routes and fly exclusively online on VATSIM with real-person ATC based on the real world procedures.
So, im pretty sure i can help in most cases if needed. :)

• Like 1
Vor 1 Stunde, ktomais sagte:

Is there a reason that the CRJ does not support the native MSFS navdata?

I believe it has to do with the flight planing capabilities within the custom built FMS

• Root Admin
37 minutes ago, Puuhbear said:

I believe it has to do with the flight planing capabilities within the custom built FMS

The navadat is simply not readable for WASM add-ons. It is one of the things we hope is soon solved.

• Like 1