Intermittent Throttle Response

After getting the throttle quadrant set up last weekend, I've been creating profiles after learning the appropriate flow programming the quadrant. However, I've noticed 2 instances where, after 90 minutes of flying, the throttle axis (axis #1, single-engine GA configuration) became unresponsive. This has occurred in both the C172+REP (G1000) and the Thranda Quest Kodiak.

Last night, I was on approach into KPRC, and I noticed that I was not getting any Torque Response, which is derived from manipulating the throttle handle. In this case, both the propeller (axis #2) and mixture (axis #3) were responding to movement on the quadrant, while the throttle handle continued to be unresponsive. This was after having to go into the X-Plane settings and continually reversing the axis for the throttle as for a few minutes, when I would apply full throttle, it was actually causing torque to drop. I first thought that this was a poor mapping of the throttle, so instead of using Throttle #1, I mapped it to Throttle.

Today, I was flying the C172+REP (G1000) from KPRC-KEGE and everything was fine for the flight, until descent into KEGE, where the throttle was again unresponsive. This configuration was the throttle still in axis #1, and mixture in axis #2, and while I was able to move the mixture handle, which would then move the mixture control in the aircraft, the throttle was not moving at all. After unplugging the quadrant from the back of my PC, I was able to get some control of the throttle, but when I would apply full throttle, it would correspond to applying full throttle in the aircraft, but almost immediately, the throttle (in the aircraft) would begin to back off, all the way back to idle, which would make the aircraft impossible to fly.

Am I mapping something wrong? Should I be mapping Throttle #1 for single-engine aircraft, or just mapping Throttle (and by extension, Propeller and Mixture)? If this is a disconnection issue between the quadrant and the computer, could that be related to the issues with AMD X570 motherboards, where this is a known issue with USB 2.0?

My PC Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Aorus X570 Elite

32GB DDR4-3200 RAM

1TB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe SSD

GTX 1070Ti

Additionally, it is paired to a CH Products Yoke, but I have ensured that the three levers on the top of the yoke are mapped to "nothing."

• Aerosoft

Hi and welcome to our forums,

what we have learned by now is that those intermittent connection losses or erratic axis behaviour can be caused by too little power supply to the devices. So, if you have one at hand, trying out a self-power USB hub might solve the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 2:24 AM, BenBaron said:

Hi and welcome to our forums,

what we have learned by now is that those intermittent connection losses or erratic axis behaviour can be caused by too little power supply to the devices. So, if you have one at hand, trying out a self-power USB hub might solve the issue.

Is that better than plugging it into the back of the computer directly?

• Aerosoft

Not guaranteed..but we've seen cases where putting the devices onto their own powered USB hub has helped those intermittent connection issues.

Ben, could this also help me with my Alpha Yoke not being recognised every single time I load any aircraft? I have to unplug it then re-plug it to get XP to see the Yoke. I don't have this problem with any other device that I use (Bravo, Pedals etc). 

I think I came across an earlier thread discussion about possible CTD's arising from unplugging and re-plugging devices like the yoke but I don't recall if it was confirmed or just a theory. I was wondering if HC had done any more research on this aspect and whether this was causing my CTDs when using the TBM?

• Aerosoft
On 16.5.2021 at 00:35, aerox334 sagte:

Ben, could this also help me with my Alpha Yoke not being recognised every single time I load any aircraft? I have to unplug it then re-plug it to get XP to see the Yoke. I don't have this problem with any other device that I use (Bravo, Pedals etc). 

I think I came across an earlier thread discussion about possible CTD's arising from unplugging and re-plugging devices like the yoke but I don't recall if it was confirmed or just a theory. I was wondering if HC had done any more research on this aspect and whether this was causing my CTDs when using the TBM?

Hi,

well: I would rather expect that to happen with the Bravo than with the Alpha, but I guess it could happen with any device. Worth a try if you can easily get your hands on a powered usb hub. Regarding the TBM issue: it is not forgotten. We have also inquired about the issue multiple times, but unfortunately have not heard back, yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ben - seems odd that XP recognises the Bravo, but not the Alpha on start up. Will try the power USB option. 

I've given up on the TBM but thanks for persisting. I wont be buying anymore of their products if they can't sort this out. The TBM will remain in the hangar for a while but appreciate you following up for me.

• Aerosoft

I hope that there is still a response coming in the future, as we are also interested to know, if this is an issue on our side...which of course can always be. But without a combined effort this is next to impossible to figure out in this case.

Archived