Help with getting started

Hello Aerosoft forum Im having alot of trouble with the crj its difficult for me to fly it because of my lack of knowledge of airplanes (Im a casual) but i can fly the a32nx well, and tutorial videos are nnot working very well is there any way to make things simpler or things i can do to just make it easier like skipping things i can flick switches but because of my mental disability i have trouble following complex instruction sometimes so if you guys can help out at all it would be great my main problems are flight plans and i dont know how to explain the other ones i think it related to flight plan.

Of course is this place active, but you should be able to describe the problems more in detail.

Have you work with the tutorial flight?

You find it in the Document folder of the CRJ.

On 27.4.2021 at 00:43, NautilusOfficial sagte:

main problems are flight plans and i dont know how to explain the other ones i think it related to flight plan.

This is no describtion were people can help.

Try it more in detail like:

I have a problem with a flightplan to import from Simbrief

I stuck at that ...point to create a flightplan.

Post your flightplan so we can look into.

You now the CRJs have some "Aircaft State" in the EFB were you can make your live a bit easier? 

The CRJs are not as automated as a B737 or A320.
A good familiarisation with the systems is important.

• Aerosoft
On 4/27/2021 at 12:43 AM, NautilusOfficial said:

Hello Aerosoft forum Im having alot of trouble with the crj its difficult for me to fly it because of my lack of knowledge of airplanes (Im a casual) but i can fly the a32nx well, and tutorial videos are nnot working very well is there any way to make things simpler or things i can do to just make it easier like skipping things i can flick switches but because of my mental disability i have trouble following complex instruction sometimes so if you guys can help out at all it would be great my main problems are flight plans and i dont know how to explain the other ones i think it related to flight plan.

More detailed instructions then the tutorial seems not possible.

• Deputy Sheriffs

When you say "tutorial videos", have you looked at the complete set provided by Aerosoft, along with the detailed tutorial in Volume 3 of the manual system? These are truly a must-see for new users at your level. Here's a link: Come fly with me, by The Dude - AEROSOFT COMMUNITY SERVICES

On 4/28/2021 at 10:58 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

More detailed instructions then the tutorial seems not possible.

I believe you're in danger here, perhaps, of the 'Curse of Knowledge', and not remembering what it is like to know nothing. If it was not possible to include more detailed instructions than the tutorial, then the tutorial would include a complete introduction to the fundamentals of aerodynamics akin to PPL requirements, full knowledge of VFR procedures, IFR procedures, emergency procedures,  ATC phrasology, meteorology etc etc.

I say this not to be pedantic, but in my job as a programming coach I'm aware of the danger these sorts of comments can have. The tutorial is enough information for someone familiar with all of the above (or perhaps, a little less). Telling the OP the tutorial has enough information is potentially going to dishearten someone without the adequate pre-requisite knowledge.

To the OP:

Jumping into a high fidelity complex airliner is, imo, not the way to start learning. You're asking for difficulties. If you have a 'lack of knowledge' of airplanes as you put it, you'll need to start by filling that gap, or you'll have to abstract too much information to be able to use the simulation correctly. Look into the basics of VOR and GPS navigation, pattern flying, weather etc. Happy to help with links. 

Hey there, 

My first post here, still need to add an avatar. :o)

Well... I always loved planes and the mechanics behind them.

But I actually started the simming with MSFS2020, mainly because of the looks. 

Yes, I admit it!

I'm also a big fan of th A32NX, but flying the bus is a bit of a cinematic experience, which I also enjoy.

To answer your question: I think the CRJ is great and easy to fly. Compared with the Airbus it feels like a sports car with my (Honeycomb) yoke.

I had a hard time starting her up, but I think the documentation provided by Aerosoft is superb. Now I really enjoy the process of starting her cold & dark. You just have to take your time to get comfortable.

It doesn't have the automation of the Airbus, but this is part of the fun for me. 

You can feel the CRJ is an older airplane and you have to do many things manually - which I love.

It's a great link between plane generations.

So my verdict: Thx Aerosoft for this awesome piece of kit and you just keep practicing. It's a bit of work, but it'll pay off. It's very rewarding once you get the drift.

Best,

Joerg

• Deputy Sheriffs
9 hours ago, NautilusOfficial said:

the videos are so long

They're just as long as they need to be to present the essential information to know how to operate the CRJ, or for that matter, any other decent airliner. It's hard to help you further if The Dude's videos are too long for you. No one can give you a short text message or even a 5 minute video that will tell you everything you need to make a short flight. Without knowing (nor needing to) the extent of your disability, it may well be the CRJ is simply too complex for you to easily enjoy.

• Deputy Sheriffs

What kind of trouble do you have with fightplans?

The CRJ is a quite advanced addon, which reflects the daily job of a pilot. So most of the steps to get the CRJ airborn and fly it from A to B are mandatory.

Some steps like powering up from cold & dark can be skipped by loading the "Turnaround" state. This is a state where the aircraft arrived at a gate and before it is ready for the next flight.

But you still need to enter a valid flightplan, load fuel, configure the weights etc.

On 4/30/2021 at 8:14 AM, NautilusOfficial said:

the videos are so long

though and bae harrier do you have discord

I have to say that perhaps you've got the wrong addon if a few spoon feeding relatively short videos feel too long for you. I mean no offence by that btw. We don't all have time for this sort of thing - but mid to advanced tier add-ons require a decent amount of study until you've got the basics down.

Flight plans require a fair bit of pre requisite knowledge imo.

• Aerosoft
1 hour ago, NautilusOfficial said:

well i know that but i just have trouble with flight plans it and is there some steps that you can skip or that are optional if it sacrifices realism

It sounds you will be very happy with the default aircraft that have limited realism. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, we just made different choices.

• Deputy Sheriffs
3 hours ago, NautilusOfficial said:

is the plane genrally irl harder to fly than a320 or 737

Yes, the CRJ doesn’t have auto thrust for example.

• Deputy Sheriffs
On 4/27/2021 at 12:43 AM, NautilusOfficial said:

because of my mental disabilit

I fully understand this, and as Mathijs already said, stick to the default Cessna for example, it is easy to fly and you will have a lot of fun exploring the world, especially with MFS, as you do not have to spend as much money as with other sims to bring it close to the real world. Maybe you will buy some smaller airports, which are mainly used by general aviation.

And let me add another point: even with some mental disability, the chances to be a good Cessna pilot are very high, while being a good CRJ pilot are very low.  ;)

• Deputy Sheriffs
5 hours ago, mopperle said:

And let me add another point: even with some mental disability, the chances to be a good Cessna pilot are very high, while being a good CRJ pilot are very low.  ;)

What Otto wrote about a good Cessna pilot is true in real life also. When I was an FAA inspector, I gave a couple of private pilot checkrides to pilots with a cognitive disability (the US certification system requires the flight test from a Fed in that situation) and they did fine...and were quite safe pilots.

On 30.4.2021 at 19:02, Mathijs Kok sagte:

Actually it is not so much a older aircraft but a different approach. 

I figured you would say that after I posted. ;)

Yet, you're right.

Let's put it this way: I like the Bombardier approach.

Best

Sometimes "complaints" here are definitely not understandable. We want a realistic flight simulation experience..but..yes it should be easy.

Maybe some people do not understand that operating such a complex machine takes in real live a huge amount of training, both theoretical and practice in simulators and on the real airplane.

On top this airplane is normally operated by 2 professional pilots not a single "hobby" pilot in his basement.

And some people are expecting now some short videos to explain them quickly how to operate this plane? There are definitely some differences in expectations on such addons.

I am flying small airplanes in VFR in real life. Already this is very complex but really just a fraction of flying airliner in IFR.

I was looking the Dudes videos, reading the whole handbook provided by aerosoft and flying a huge amount of hours until I feel confident enough to connect to Vatsim and do some "real" stuff with this plane.

And by the way it's an absolute great plane and a tremendous good job done by aerosoft, only issue for me is the ILS bug which brings me really in trouble in foggy weather  but nevertheless it gave me plenty of opportunities to make  manual approaches and to really learn to fly the airplane and not only pushing some buttons. 

• Deputy Sheriffs
43 minutes ago, mschultzi said:

Sometimes "complaints" here are definitely not understandable. We want a realistic flight simulation experience..but..yes it should be easy.

Maybe some people do not understand that operating such a complex machine takes in real live a huge amount of training, both theoretical and practice in simulators and on the real airplane.

On top this airplane is normally operated by 2 professional pilots not a single "hobby" pilot in his basement.

And some people are expecting now some short videos to explain them quickly how to operate this plane? There are definitely some differences in expectations on such addons.

I am flying small airplanes in VFR in real life. Already this is very complex but really just a fraction of flying airliner in IFR.

I was looking the Dudes videos, reading the whole handbook provided by aerosoft and flying a huge amount of hours until I feel confident enough to connect to Vatsim and do some "real" stuff with this plane.

And by the way it's an absolute great plane and a tremendous good job done by aerosoft, only issue for me is the ILS bug which brings me really in trouble in foggy weather  but nevertheless it gave me plenty of opportunities to make  manual approaches and to really learn to fly the airplane and not only pushing some buttons. 

As some people are just jumping in here, without reading why exactly the TO has a problem and wants some things in an easier way I close this topic now.

Archived