T.O. Config OK message doesn't display consistently

geoffda

I can't figure out what the problem is, but the T.O. Config OK message doesn't always display. I'm following the checklists and AFIK, I'm not doing anything differently in the cases where it displays vs the cases where it doesn't. I expect it to display as soon as I release the parking brake after completing the taxi checklist. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. In the cases where it doesn't display, I have no ECAM warnings, nor do I get takeoff config warnings when I advance the throttles. Take off proceeds normally, I just never got the confirmation that my configuration was good. I've attached an example below. As you can see, T.O. Config OK is not displayed in the ECAM, but neither are there any warnings. Takeoff proceeded normally. Anybody have any idea what is going on? Known bug?

Please login to display this image.

I don't think I have ever seen the EFB performance page give me a takeoff trim of 7.2.  I have seen 7.0 but it is normally in the range of 6.8 to 7.0 with 6.9 being the most given.  That was the one thing I saw here.  You will not get a take off OK message if your trim is not set properly, I do not think at least.

Also, cycle the spoilers.  Depending on how you have them mapped, the plane may think they are deployed even if there is no indication on EICAS, visually from outside or with the lever. 

3 hours ago, Crabby said:

You will not get a take off OK message if your trim is not set properly, I do not think at least.

That's correct. I don't remember the numerical values but all three trim settings need to be green in order to satisfy the trim part of the Take Off Config Ok message. @geoffda I can't see anything from the screenshot you posted that would not give you a Take Off Config Ok message so what Crabby said might be correct. Cycle your spoilers and maybe also cycle your flaps.

I had an issue before where I wouldn't get a take off config ok message because the system didn't think the flaps were correctly set to 8. But they absolutely were. I could see them visually and on the EICAS screen. They were absolutely at 8. The problem, I eventually figured out, was that I had intentionally set one of my joystick buttons to set the flaps at exactly 8. I did this because in the event of a go around, going to flaps 8 is part of the procedure and I thought having a button that would set the flaps to 8 without me having to think would be a smart idea. And I figured it would be great for take off as well. One button and my flaps are at 8. Unfortunately though the plane didn't like that. Or at least the Take Off Config system didn't like it. It didn't recognize that the flaps were indeed at 8. So because of that I have to use my normal flap increase/decrease button to set the flaps to 8 before take off. The system is happy with that.

7 hours ago, Crabby said:

I don't think I have ever seen the EFB performance page give me a takeoff trim of 7.2.  I have seen 7.0 but it is normally in the range of 6.8 to 7.0 with 6.9 being the most given.  That was the one thing I saw here.  You will not get a take off OK message if your trim is not set properly, I do not think at least.

Also, cycle the spoilers.  Depending on how you have them mapped, the plane may think they are deployed even if there is no indication on EICAS, visually from outside or with the lever. 

Not so, I regularly get takeoff trims between 7 and 8 on the EFB.  I also find that the Takeoff OK message is not always shown.

Thanks everyone. I'll play around with the suggestions. I will say that I have gotten EFB stab trim values anywhere from 5.8 to 7.5. 7.2 has been pretty common for me and that was definitely the EFB value for the flight depicted above. I do wonder though...since the update, the aileron and rudder trim will show green when they are not exactly neutral. You have to eye-ball it a bit now; perhaps I'm just a tiny bit off...

34 minutes ago, geoffda said:

since the update, the aileron and rudder trim will show green when they are not exactly neutral. You have to eye-ball it a bit now; perhaps I'm just a tiny bit off...

That has always been the case—and is in fact correct. The rudder and aileron trim do not have to be exactly neutral in order for them to be green. They just have to be within a certain range of neutral. 

3 hours ago, RF pilot said:

Not so, I regularly get takeoff trims between 7 and 8 on the EFB.  I also find that the Takeoff OK message is not always shown.

Read my response, it was clear.  "I don't think I have ever seen....I have only seen...." I never said you won't see or haven't seen.  Maybe we fly at different weights.  However What I said and the way I said it is very true.

I noticed today that the T/O message did not appear in my aircraft.  I checked it right after push and start.  I had the parking brake on.  When I took the parking brake off, the message appeared.  Normally I would not notice this as that message is slightly out of view and I check it on the taxiway just prior to runway entry in prep for take off.  It made me wonder if this may be the case with the OP?  What I did not verify was if putting the brake back on erased the TO config message.  I will check that next time.

Archived