AAO experts..Opinions on using AAO for axis control

I had been having the "throttle bug" intermittently using the HC Bravo, mapping the throttle directly in MSFS.  On another thread about this I saw a comment that AS found that the CRJ and the MSFS throttles were fighting each other.

I decided to try mapping the throttles using AAO.  That seem to fix the issue (I haven't seen it again) as well as providing more granular control and response. 

From there I mapped the spoiler axis, elevator and aileron.  I am not sure if it is a placebo effect, but everything seems to be, for lack of better description, smoother.

I seem to recall a recommendation to map axis inputs directly in the sim, but can't find where I might have seen this.  Anyhow, looking for input from the experts (you know who you are lol) and anyone else that uses the HC Alpha and Bravo on their thoughts about mapping the axis inputs with AAO.

The only Axis I would map in the sim are the Elevator / Aileron and Rudder ... but even then if your external control application can offer response curves then it is better there since focus in the sim won't matter (meaning if you are in Navigraph with focus and you try to move the controls you will have an issue until you click back into the sim).  The only reason for mapping the primary in the sim is the fact that you have to apply so much Negative sensitivity....  I really don't understand why the Rudders and primary Axis are so sensitive... but they are and a slight movement at 0 makes a 172 pitch like 20 degrees nose up :)... 

I do not own Honeycomb controllers, but a lot of other hardware. I never map any axis in MSFS, mainly as MSFS lacks plane specific profiles.

I typically used FSUIPC7, but now moving more and more to AxisAndOhs, as it works great with my X-touch mini, Logitech radio panel and the TCA throttle. I have also used spad.next, which also works great.

I can report that I now have nothing mapped in the sim except One key on the keyboard for outside view and hat switches for cockpit cameras.  

3 hours ago, Crabby said:

I can report that I now have nothing mapped in the sim except One key on the keyboard for outside view and hat switches for cockpit cameras.  

I used vJoy to map in the sim to my cockpit views and then use that other app to bind my hat switch and other buttons on my TCA Side Stick to the vJoy events.....

I also use a vJoy button in Vatsim as the button for my Push to Talk ...  That way I can have multiple different controllers all able to "trigger" the same vJoy button that I bound in vPilot...

Archived