CRJ wont climb

Ibexto

I don’t know if this has been talked about before but I cannot get the CRJ to climb above about FL200.   I have tried setting the speed rate and the VS rate but around 20,000 ft my climb rate drops to zero or my speed drops to under 180kts.    What am I missing????   And yes I usually try to get ahead of power curve…

Please login to display this image.

It has been discussed ad nauseum here and plenty of fixes hav ebeen offered.  A quick forum search will be your friend. 

1. How are your flaps and spoiler mapped?

2. Have you "recycled" your flaps or spoilers if mapped to an axis? (I have never seen this problem so I am repeating what you can find)  Apparently on some systems the spoilers and/or flaps can become "deployed" even if there is no visual (inside or outside the aircraft) indications.

3. Set Icing to visual only

4. Make sure you are on Modern Flight Model

etc. etc.

Thanks for the link and help.  I did not know about the spoiler issues, although I did check the airframe using the drone to see if anything was deployed that shouldn’t have been. 

45 minutes ago, Ibexto said:

Thanks for the link and help.  I did not know about the spoiler issues, although I did check the airframe using the drone to see if anything was deployed that shouldn’t have been. 

The problem is that there is no visual indication of this in the flight deck or from the external view. The spoiler lever and the spoilers themselves show fully retracted but the plane acts aerodynamically as if the spoilers are fully extended. 

I actually JUST had this issue myself about 15 minutes ago. Everything was good and then at 10,000ft I noticed I was doing 290 knots and climbing at 400fpm with CLB power still set. Not normal. The solution is just a quick cycle of the spoilers. I did that and then she started climbing away like a rocket ship again. Up to FL390 in about 12 minutes.

It may be related to pausing the Sun using the ESC key. I have never had it before and just did and using ESC was the only difference in my flight. 

I have the same problem.
I have tried many solutions posted on the forums, but nothing helps.
The problem started after a small patch of fs2020 that was updated this time.
All spoiler anti-ice settings are OK. But she doesn't rise.

I use Axis and Ohs to now control every axis in the CRJ (as well as buttons, but this is about an axis issue I believe).

I never had this issue...until...a few flights ago I had a need to pause the sim while on the ground.  After un-pausing and continuing pre flight etc, I had this issue right around the mach transition.  The next flight I did not have it and I did not use the ESC key as normal for me.  After reading on the MSFS forum, I suspect that this is at least one trigger for the issue.  I won't pretend to know why.

Back to Axis and Ohs (probably spadnext too, but I do not know, never used it can't comment, other may be able to).  My understanding after consulting the developer is that AAO does not use the sim controller module in any way.  It moves the surfaces/levers directly through the api.  I don't have the technical knowledge to understand this, however it would seem that users, like myself, of this program are able to bypass any faulty sim controller logic and/or conflicts with that logic and the addon.  For example, if I map my throttles directly in the sim, engine control becomes a problem and I experience the issues described in this forum about that "bug".

I believe that utilization of AAO (or a similar program) allows more fidelity to what AS wanted with the CRJ.  I suspect that this will be the case with FBW, and other complex addons/mods.

Some will complain about "having to buy another program" to get it to work.  Well that's life.  Many of us had to buy more ram or a better video card to enjoy MSFS.  The sim community has always revolved around additional programs for something.  AAO (and for that matter to the extent of my knowledge, SpadNext/FSUIPC) will work with all your aircraft going forward.  I believe this is a MUST have if you use any type of complex controller (I use the HC Alpha and Bravo with MFG Crosswind pedals). 

Also, don't press the ESC key at anytime after loading an aircraft.  Granted, the ESC key thing may just be a red herring but in my testing I was two for two in replicating poor climb performance after using it. 

• 1 month later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

No response in over a month.

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived