Steering with Nosewheel Steering disabled

KevyKevTPA

Hi all-

I've noticed that even if I forget to enable nosewheel steering, I can still steer on the ground when taxiing.  Is the b1rd supposed to behave that way?  And if so, then what's the point of having to enable nosewheel steering in the first place?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

KKT

You do get a bit of steering through the pedals, enough to keep you straight on a taxiway, and you could do a high-speed turnoff with it. So if that's what you're seeing then it's accurate. If you're getting more than that then it isn't.

Making that switch work 100 percent accurately would require the ability to disable the inputs from external hardware controllers (specifically, the rudder axis) from within the running simulator, and that is currently not possible in MSFS.  For the same reason, ailerons and elevators will not move in the real aircraft without hydraulics, but they will in the sim. External hardware controllers for pitch, roll and yaw are always “live” even when the aircraft is powered completely down.

However, the nose wheel steering switch does have an effect. If you look at an external view, you will see that with the switch off, the nose wheel does not move with rudder pedal inputs, but with the switch on it does move. This is not just an animation. The effect of nose wheel tire friction is part of the flight model, and with the switch on, it is much easier to make sharp turns at low taxi speeds (without having to use a lot of engine power), than with the switch off. 

• 1 month later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

No response in over a month.

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived