World of Aircraft: Glider Simulator preview (Released)

• Root Admin

World of Aircraft is a series of standalone (so not an add-on to a simulator) casual flight simulators. In no way intended to compete with X-Plane or Microsoft Flight Simulator, the different World of Aircraft products offer an easy introduction into PC based flight simulation.  They are low cost, easy to use and easy on the hardware.  From starting the sim to being on the runway with an engine running takes 20 seconds (take that Flight Simulator!). 

Every version of WoA covers a specific area of flying. The first one, World of Aircraft; Glider SImulation is all about gliders, for a detailed description see the next post. Other ones can be about agricultural aviation, parajumping/skydiving, artic operations or floatplanes, the world is our oyster and we are happy to take your suggestion.  Each version will come with one detailed airport/airfield (often with a second airport included), at least 25.000 km2 of terrain and a set of aircraft. They always have extensive training missions that assist you with getting to know the aircraft. You will be assisted step by step in mastering the specific aircraft type.

While definitely easy on the systems,  the simulation of the flight model is very high end.  World of Aircraft is about the joy of flying. Not about weight and balance, tire pressures etc. the simulator handles that for you, but about how the aircraft reacts to your input. How you need to trim an aircraft to make it fly hands off. How to make that perfect landing.  How hard it is to drag a glider up in the air with crosswind (believe me, it is, I got a load of wrecked aircraft to proof that).

Distribution of the simulator is done via Steam, but we will sell the product in our own shops (and affiliated shops) as well.  It will be very well supported (on these forums) as we know we will get a lot of people not to accustomed to simulation. 

pull.png

Btw, the grass in the sim looks great, but not this great...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The first product in this range is WoA: Glider simulator.

World of Aircraft: Glider Simulator is all about gliders. In every possible shape and size.

image.png

The World

WoA: Glider Simulator is set around a small airfield on the borders of the Rhine river in Germany (we used Herrenteich Flugplatz as inspiration). This airfield is a typical small airfield. Very calm in winter but on fine summer days it is very active. From early morning flights to other airfields (Google '$100 hamburger' and you get some idea) to BBQs in the late evening. It is a place where you make friends and meet friends.  Flying is a hobby for the people there.  The covered area around the airport is 25.000 km2 and includes the river Rhine (no, you are NOT allowed to buzz the ships), a major bridge (again no, not fly under it) a few small towns and villages and one larger town, Speyer, that has its own airport you can use. It is also the location of the Technik Museum that has some amazing aircraft on display. You will see them when you fly around. Makes the approach to the Airfield Speyer Ludwigshafen rather special.

The Aircraft
These aircraft are all included in the product:

• PZL-104 WILGA (tow aircraft)
    wilga.png
    The Wilga is a weird ugly duck in this product as it is possible the world's worst glider. If you lose your engine better look down to select a place to land, the word. But it is a very reliable and strong aircraft to get gliders in the air. It is also a highly enjoyable aircraft with some weird characteristics. If you can fly a Wilga you can fly a lot of aircraft. 

• H36 DIMONA (motor glider)
    dimona.png
    The Hoffmann H36 Dimona is not your regular small aircraft.  It's in the rather exclusive class of touring motor gliders; aircraft that are a cross between motor aircraft and gliders. They got the long wings of a glider but a standard (though often rather small) aircraft engine. You can either use them as a normal aircraft or switch off the engine and glide for a while. Truth be told, the H36 Dimona is not a brilliant aircraft. As a motor aircraft it a bit unwieldy, as a glider it just not has the performance you would hope for and as a touring motor glider it seems to combine the worst of both types of aircraft. But it has something that few aircraft have, character. 

• ASK 21 (glider)
    ask.png
    The Schleicher ASK21 is one of the best-known gliders as it is used in many glider schools. It is not a hard glider to fly (that is what makes it a good instruction aircraft) and considered very safe. You can do some moderate aerobatics and cover some serious distance in this aircraft.

• ASK 21 Mi (motorized glider)
    mi.png
    Take a ASK 21 and make a big hole in the fuselage to mount a retractable engine and you get the ASK 21 Mi. However, that does not mean this is a motor glider. The ASK 21 Mi is classed as a ‘motorized glider’. You can take off with it and extend your flights without compromising the pure glider performance too much.

• LET L-13 BLANÍK (glider)
    Blanik.png
    This two-seater trainer has been for many pilots the aircraft they got their first flight in. It is used all over the world with over 3000 aircraft build since 1958.  Even though it is a Czech aircraft, the US Air Force (and many other Air Forces) used it for a very long time for basic flight training (under the TG-10C name).  The Blaník has exception good low speed handling with effective rudders control. It is highly forgiving.  An ideal introduction to gliders!

Special features

As most gliders need assistance to get in the air, this edition of WoA has very strong multiplayer functions. You can fly the Wilga and drag other players up, or just compete with others to see who can fly the longest distance.  To make it easy to communicate almost all of the standard communication is preprogrammed and you can just use a key command to tell the tow pilot you are ready to unlink the two line.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mathijs!

Looks great and is it competitor for Condor? ;)

What is important for me, does it support VR also? I fly VR only from the long time ....

• Upvote 1

• Root Admin
20 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Hi Mathijs!

Looks great and is it competitor for Condor? ;)

What is important for me, does it support VR also? I fly VR only from the long time ....

In looks, framerates and flight model, I would certainly say so.  But we position this very specifically as a casual simulation and not in any way intended for experienced simmers. It's cheap, fast, easy to use while keeping the core, how it feels to fly above anything else. 

VR is planned, but not initially. Keep in mind it took MS 11 months to add it to MSFS and they have a few more people then this team has. At least 100 people more, lol.

19 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

In looks, framerates and flight model, I would certainly say so.  But we position this very specifically as a casual simulation and not in any way intended for experienced simmers. It's cheap, fast, easy to use while keeping the core, how it feels to fly above anything else. 

VR is planned, but not initially. Keep in mind it took MS 11 months to add it to MSFS and they have a few more people then this team has. At least 100 people more, lol.

Ok, thx for reply. Pls think about VR users too (in the future) :). Looks nice for VR experiance (like DCS, MSFS, P3D, IL-2). :)

If you want and need more skins for this Wilga, your Team can use it.

Hey, i don't know where the Team is located which develops this simulator, but if they are located in Germany, i can offer them to visit them with diffrent Motorgliders (TMG) or Sailplanes, so they can take a detailed look on them!

I am flying near Düsseldorf at the Airfield Meiersberg, which is 11 km east of EDDL and about 6 km south of EDLE (Essen-Mülheim). The Airfield is quite special and we would be happy to help you develop this sim! I am working on a Simulator based on an old Ka8 fuselage. WoA looks like a good Sim for that.

We have following Aircrafts. Just give me a call if you want to have a closer look at one of them.

TMG:

Diamond HK36-TTC115 (Turbocharged 115 HP with winch installed to pull the rope in as soon as the Glider releases.)

SF28 Tandemfalke (Only a very few still fly)

RF4

Tow-Plane:

DR400-180 (Winch installed, full IFR)

Sailplanes:

Grob G103 Twin Astir

ASK21

ASW19

Discus T (D-KVKA also known from Discus Addon for FSX)

Duo Discus

(3x) Rolladen Schneider LS4

Ka4 Rhönlerche

ASK13

K7

(x3 + 1 cut in half) K8

DG1001 (will be delivered in Summer)

Also a few private planes like:

ASW15

Jantar

PIC 20 E

DG808C

Cirrus

ASH25

Ventus 2cm

ASH31

ASW22

Standard Libelle

You can find pictures of the planes here: sportflug-niederberg.de

On 5/4/2021 at 9:32 PM, catchymussel said:

Here are some screenshots from my latest flight in WoA Glider Simulator

Enjoy (I certainly did  )

Here 

Thx for those shots, looks very promissing. Im waiting for VR mode, WMR for sure :D (dont. want back to flat 2D screen ;) ). If you need me in the future for VR mode testing I will be ready.

3 hours ago, YoYo said:

Thx for those shots, looks very promissing. Im waiting for VR mode, WMR for sure :D (dont. want back to flat 2D screen ;) ). If you need me in the future for VR mode testing I will be ready.

I am in the same boat with you, YoYo! There is no way back to 2D screens. Coming from RW gliding (LS4WL) and glider aerotowing (Morane Ralley) I am currently with P3DV4.5 and enjoy the gliders as well as Aerosoft‘s amazing Wilga.

Looking forward for this new simulator and VR support …

• Root Admin
10 hours ago, Sat Expert said:

VR should be standard for a new flight simulator by now. I, too, will no longer purchase one that doesn't offer VR. That's why I hope that VR will come soon.  

Okay, I can understand that. But if you put that requirement on a 24 euro sim that runs on modest hardware the pickings will be very slim. In fact I would say you will not be able to find one. So clearly you are simply looking for different product.

On a personal note. I got all the hardware and find VR on X-Plane, MSFS and P3D still rather limited and problematic. But as said that is personal and with hardware that costs 2500 euro. WoA runs fine on hardware that used to cost 800 euro before prices got crazy. 

On 5/15/2021 at 10:46 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Okay, I can understand that. But if you put that requirement on a 24 euro sim that runs on modest hardware the pickings will be very slim. In fact I would say you will not be able to find one. So clearly you are simply looking for different product.

On a personal note. I got all the hardware and find VR on X-Plane, MSFS and P3D still rather limited and problematic. But as said that is personal and with hardware that costs 2500 euro. WoA runs fine on hardware that used to cost 800 euro before prices got crazy. 

So the more I think it would be here 90 FPS in VR :D. See Mathias spec for Condor2:

Windows 7, 8 or 10
Intel i3, i5, i7 CPU or equivalent.
5.5 GB of free space on hard drive or SSD
A dedicated graphics card with 1 GB memory. The graphics card should have benchmark (www.videocardbenchmark.net) result of 1000 minimum, 4000 is very good and 8000 perfect.
(Integrated graphics cards and cards with benchmark result below 1000 are usable, but with severely reduced graphics settings)
Internet connection required for activation
Virtual Reality
Condor 2 supports the Oculus Rift VR headset, and using Revive also the HTC Vive headset. Both of these have their own requirements, which can be checked for your system using tools on the Oculus and Vive websites.

So I think its only implementation in engine. I don't get expect any performance issues with WoA with VR mode. I use mostly VR i P3D and works great for me. For IL-2/DCS stable 45 fps what is good for WMR VR. Fingers crossed for the future :).

• Mathijs Kok changed the title to World of Aircraft: Glider Simulator preview (Released)
  • Mathijs Kok pinned and locked this topic